PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Texas, Oklahoma officially notify Big 12 they will be leavin

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Texas, Oklahoma officially notify Big 12 they will be le

Postby birddogger » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Water Pony wrote:If I were the PAC 12, this is their best opportunity to expand by creating a highly competitive, 4 team pod in the Central Time zone. A pod concentrated primarily in Texas with two major media markets with highly valued recruiting talent pools, i.e. Dallas and Houston.

My dream scenario is Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Houston and, of course, SMU, who is clearly a strong national brand and rising star.

Yes. And we can change our name to Secular (Mostly) University.
birddogger
All-American

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:24 pm

So I’m going to ask what I’m sure is a stupid question. Will the fact that we don’t have softball or baseball create issues for us during the next evolution of realignment?
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:40 pm

SMU Pony Mom wrote:So I’m going to ask what I’m sure is a stupid question. Will the fact that we don’t have softball or baseball create issues for us during the next evolution of realignment?

As long as SMU has a comparable total number of sports, it won't matter. Football is driving this, which is why if Kansas can't get into the Big 10 they may wind up in the AAC.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:42 pm

SMU Pony Mom wrote:So I’m going to ask what I’m sure is a stupid question. Will the fact that we don’t have softball or baseball create issues for us during the next evolution of realignment?

The question is not stupid, since any conference will consider the number of sports for both men and women. Which sports are important are relevant to some but not all. I wish we would bring back baseball and add softball. If that was the price of admission for a desirable conference affiliation, we would agree to it immediately.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:46 pm

This Last Word On Sports post is a variation of my earlier suggestion, but reinforces the importance of DFW and Houston by doubling the impact, I.e., TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston.

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefoo ... leftovers/

I like Rice for many reasons, including it is the best academic university in Texas, with a big stadium. We would quickly agree to expand Ford Stadium too.

I love this approach for the PAC 12 and us.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football