PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Texas, Oklahoma officially notify Big 12 they will be leavin

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Texas, Oklahoma officially notify Big 12 they will be leavin

Postby Webmaster » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 am

I guess it's official, DMN is reporting this morning.

"Texas and Oklahoma effectively served notice Monday to the Big 12, setting the stage for SEC membership and dealing a major blow to their former home.

An 11th hour meeting Sunday with the Big 12 executive committee, including commissioner Bob Bowlsby, failed to deter Texas and Oklahoma from a plan assembled many months ago."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas ... AE8Q%3D%3D

Now I guess we'll get to watch and see where all the other dominoes fall.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Texas, Oklahoma officially notify Big 12 they will be le

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:29 am

Well that was quick.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 am

Once again UT has dealt a major blow to a college sports conference. The other SEC teams better start looking for future conference alignments before the whorns destroy the SEC and they are left scrambling for a conference home. :wink: :wink:
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby TidePony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:10 pm

The whorns will be on the back bench for a long while in the SEC. They will always have Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn,and LSU (and Tennessee if they ever get their act together) to tell them how the cow ate the cabbage and provide them an attitude adjustment. Missouri, Arkansas, and aTm won’t be keen on them either. They are entering hostile territory.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 pm

and the chips start to fall.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:39 pm

Something radically needs to change in the UT leadership culture if they’re going to compete in football. OU will be fine.

UT = Dallas Cowboys.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Interesting article by DCTF, by the way: https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... review_img
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:49 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31889328/will-texas-oklahoma-really-move-sec-answer-biggest-questions

I especially like:

In the past, a predictable outcome would have been for the remaining Big 12 teams to poach some of the best teams from the American -- Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF and South Florida. But the Big 12's standing has been weakened so much, it might end up being the other way around.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:56 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31889328/will-texas-oklahoma-really-move-sec-answer-biggest-questions

I especially like:

In the past, a predictable outcome would have been for the remaining Big 12 teams to poach some of the best teams from the American -- Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF and South Florida. But the Big 12's standing has been weakened so much, it might end up being the other way around.

It would be really strange to see some of those teams coming to the AAC. Not sure how their alumni would feel about that.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:44 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31889328/will-texas-oklahoma-really-move-sec-answer-biggest-questions

I especially like:

I would approach OSU and TTU about the American. Maybe Kansas and Kansas St. Baylor and TCU can put up with the crap we put up with the last 2 generations trying to fine a decent conference.
ponyte

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:59 pm

My adherence to Peruna's Law has me terrified that this will all blow up and we will end up back in the CUsa.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm

The Big XII teams will not be anxious to leave. The last one out the door gets rights checks from everyone else who left. So, I guess they'll have to negotiate some sort of merger with the AAC which brings the AAC into the Big XII. Also the AAC teams might want to a waiver of the buy in since the remaining Big XII teams will be collecting $$$ from UT and OU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Terry Webster wrote:My adherence to Peruna's Law has me terrified that this will all blow up and we will end up back in the CUsa.

Relax! At worst we end up in the MWC which is no worse than the WAC 16.
mustangxc

Postby Comet » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:23 pm

Terry Webster wrote:My adherence to Peruna's Law has me terrified that this will all blow up and we will end up back in the CUsa.

The AAC is CUSA
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm

If I were the PAC 12, this is their best opportunity to expand by creating a highly competitive, 4 team pod in the Central Time zone. A pod concentrated primarily in Texas with two major media markets with highly valued recruiting talent pools, i.e. Dallas and Houston.

My dream scenario is Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Houston and, of course, SMU, who is clearly a strong national brand and rising star.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football