PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re-Alignment re Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re-Alignment re Baylor

Postby Topper » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:05 pm

Will the Baptists; fairly recent "me too" crisis make them anathema to an expanding PAC 12? I've noticed that some of their fans are pushing for membership over there now that their meal tickets have bolted.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Re-Alignment re Baylor

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Topper wrote:Will the Baptists; fairly recent "me too" crisis make them anathema to an expanding PAC 12? I've noticed that some of their fans are pushing for membership over there now that their meal tickets have bolted.

Pac-12 would have no interest in them at all. They better plan on joining a revised AAC.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 am

Interesting article from the Longhorns

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/predicting ... 57428.html
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:38 am

CA Mustang wrote: They better plan on joining a revised AAC.

Please- we do not want 'rape U' in our conference. Let them struggle finding a home like we had to do when they prevented us from getting into b-12
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 am

Terry Webster wrote:Interesting article from the Longhorns

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/predicting ... 57428.html

This would be a great scenario for SMU. TCU would be in the PAC 12, but I could live with that if we really can get those teams.

Of course it will probably not happen, but that would be a great scenario for SMU and The AAC.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am

If the AAC is proactive, it has 11 schools. It needs 5 to make 16. The Big XII will be down to 8 schools. Assume KU and ISU go to the Big 10. That leaves six. TT, Baylor, TCU, WVU, OSU, KSU. WVU may go to the ACC, then we get the rest. If it doesn't, then it gets priority in my view, and then the other five are more of a debate. Baylor won the NCAA hoops this year. TCU is our closest rival (although they did screw us in the past). OSU, KSU, TT are like ECU, USF and UCF in my opinion. They bring something but not a huge following for any of them.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:13 am

I’d love that. Has anyone been considering a new conference with the B12 and the top teams of the AAC to form a more regional league? I’d even be ok with letting the AAC Florida schools, ECU, as well as West Virginia go find homes elsewhere.
ponyboy

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:37 am

I would much rather be in a conference with tcwho than bu. Hopefully bu can find a home in the Sun Belt or go independent so no other school has to be affiliated with them. I know bu won hoops this year but if the teammates start murdering each other again they won't likely repeat. I think WVU would be a good fit for the eastern part of the AAC.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby docabel » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am

WVU may be in the worst position of all. I don't see any way they end up in the ACC as they have been rejected in the past because of their lack of academic standing. Same reason okie state can't get into the big ten.
docabel
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:57 pm

This was part of an email the Baylor president sent today:

A strong Big 12 is beneficial for the state of Texas, as the state benefits economically and reputationally from maximizing the number of schools it has playing in Power 5 conferences. The same holds true for the city of Waco, when members of the Big 12 come to our hometown for conference play.
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 pm

Logic leads me to say this.
Keep the Big 12 in name and then pretty much merge the AAC and Big 12 into a 16 team conference.
That gives an 80 team national ncaa league to get to a championship.

Go to east and west and champ game. Play bay,tt,houston, tulsa, osu,tcu, kan,SMU More regional and two big cities.

Just a thought.
Peace
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:31 pm

What makes me really nervous is the idea that the ACC takes Cinci, Menphis, UCF and WV.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sewanee Stang » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:41 pm

I don't think that the Florida schools would want to add UCF or USF.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:01 pm

Terry Webster wrote:What makes me really nervous is the idea that the ACC takes Cinci, Menphis, UCF and WV.

Why do that when you already have (effectively counting Notre Dame) 15 members? If the ACC just adds one member, Cincy might prove more valuable than West Virginia if this is all about ESPN contracts and the sheer number of TV sets they are ultimately catering to. Ohio trumps West Virginia, but the Mountaineers sure have a great fan base
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 pm

EastStang wrote:If the AAC is proactive, it has 11 schools. It needs 5 to make 16. The Big XII will be down to 8 schools. Assume KU and ISU go to the Big 10. That leaves six. TT, Baylor, TCU, WVU, OSU, KSU. WVU may go to the ACC, then we get the rest.

That might be the best case for SMU and the AAC (joining forces with Big XII leftovers), but I expect the remaining Big XII schools to be hiking their skirts towards the PAC-12 and Big-10 in hopes of retaining "big boy" paychecks. Seven possible spots for the remaining eight schools who will all be competing with the most attractive G5 programs. If the current P5 becomes four 16 member "super conferences", then the American still needs to aim for being the "best of the rest" and trying to at least get it's champion into the football playoffs
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football