PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re-Alignment re Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Re-Alignment re Baylor

Postby redpony » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:08 pm

cp- do any of the current conferences (less SEC) currently have 16 teams? To get there they would need to add several schools to each group. The end result is that we would be included in one of those groups or we are left again like the proverbial red-headed stepchild.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:38 pm

P 5 G 5
Need 5 16 team conferences.
Done.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 am

If I’m the PAC-12, I would add Tech, Ok. St. and Kansas from the B12 and Houston from our conference. They would get DFW through Tech, Houston, Oklahoma and the premier basketball program in the area. Then the rest of the B12 (5 schools left) merge with the AAC , and we bring in BYU or Rice to replace Houston.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby redpony » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:54 am

mm- IMO BYU has too many issues so I would choose Rice to replace cougar high. Of course that would be like trading 7-11 clerks for NASA scientists.
redpony

Postby redpony » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:14 am

per Mac Engle article "No one with the remaining Big 12 schools wants anything to do with the American Athletic Conference. They don’t want to take any of those schools, nor do they want to merge"

As if the 'second class wall flowers' have a lot of options after tx. and ou bolted.
redpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:31 am

redpony wrote:per Mac Engle article "No one with the remaining Big 12 schools wants anything to do with the American Athletic Conference. They don’t want to take any of those schools, nor do they want to merge"

Hahaha that's pretty funny!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
redpony wrote:per Mac Engle article "No one with the remaining Big 12 schools wants anything to do with the American Athletic Conference. They don’t want to take any of those schools, nor do they want to merge"

Hahaha that's pretty funny!

It is funny. They lack self-awareness and will be surprised that the rest of the world doesn't share their inflated view of the remaining eight Big XII. These eight school are not a core of high value, even with the Big XII / P5 moniker.

If the college football moves to four or five 16 school conferences, the Big XII will need to merge with someone, perhaps the AAC.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:01 pm

SMU didn’t want anything to do with the WAC. Until that was our only option.
ponyboy

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:23 pm

I just don't see the PAC courting BYU and Baylor. If they move to Texas which in my view would be smart, it would be TCU, SMU, UH and Tech. Go to the Pod scenario, Texas, Southwest, Cal, Northwest where you play 3 in your pod and 2,2,2 in other pods. 9 Conference games and 3 OOC.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I just don't see the PAC courting BYU and Baylor. If they move to Texas which in my view would be smart, it would be TCU, SMU, UH and Tech. Go to the Pod scenario, Texas, Southwest, Cal, Northwest where you play 3 in your pod and 2,2,2 in other pods. 9 Conference games and 3 OOC.

I agree that the above combination is the idea Texas strategy for a PAC 16 Central Time Zone pod, i.e., one big TX state school and the others concentrated in DFW and Houston
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:58 pm

If you are a UCLA or UW alum living in Texas would you rather go to Houston and Dallas or Lubbock, Stillwater and Waco? I could see Baylor being attractive as a hoops piece.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:00 pm

As if the 'second class wall flowers' have a lot of options after tx. and ou bolted.

Mac needs to go look at the tv ratings for the Big 12 leftovers. They are basically the same as the AAC, even though they are marketed significantly more.

There is zero appeal for the Pac 12 or Big 10 ratings wise, academically, or culturally.

The ACC isn't going to break the TV contract that locks in FLorida State and Clemson.

They are going to hold their ground until they force OU and UT into a hefty settlement, and then ESPN will force them to merge with the AAC.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:57 pm

JasonB wrote:and then ESPN will force them to merge with the AAC.

This is the key.

The Little 8 are screwed with that Fox TV contract, not to mention how invaluable they are in the estimates for a potential future TV contract. Very little national interest in any of those teams and they are all in podunk towns as well. The American has the power hand being in bed with ESPN already.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:50 pm

Would be sweet to have bu come to the AAC, hat in hand, asking to join and have the AAC inform them they don't make the grade. Good luck with the ghost of Ann Richards saving them this time.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby horsemanx » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:54 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Would be sweet to have bu come to the AAC, hat in hand, asking to join and have the AAC inform them they don't make the grade. Good luck with the ghost of Ann Richards saving them this time.

Very few things would make me happier.

I imagine TCU would just go back to the MWC instead of joining The American since they are always running from us in conferences, so why not leave Baylor hanging.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football