PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re-Alignment re Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Re-Alignment re Baylor

Postby smuaustin1971 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:20 am

Mustangs_Maroons - you have my vote!
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:59 am

What sanctions did Baylor self impose? Scholarship reductions? Bowl games that they would have attended?

I'm somewhat amazed that students, particularly female, didn't miss a beat in applying and attending Baylor. It's a very solid academic institution and has a more religious student body than what was evidenced by the football and athletic leadership during Briles' days.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 am

tristatecoog wrote:What sanctions did Baylor self impose? Scholarship reductions? Bowl games that they would have attended?

I'm somewhat amazed that students, particularly female, didn't miss a beat in applying and attending Baylor. It's a very solid academic institution and has a more religious student body than what was evidenced by the football and athletic leadership during Briles' days.

Name any college where the students as a whole are less adherent to Biblical principles in their behavior than the Baylor athletic department and Ken Starr? I have a lot of friends who came out of Baylor undergrad or law school and I don't consider any of them to be particularly religious except for one lady who happens to be Roman Catholic.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:21 pm

Confusing first sentence. While living by and large normal college lives in many ways — my sons’ very Christian fraternity could put away the beer with the best of them — it’s very fair to say that students as a whole are “adherent to biblical principles.” But the athletic department, particularly football leadership under Briles, was absolutely not. Despicably not so. You’re 100% right about that one.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:01 pm

ponyboy wrote:Confusing first sentence. While living by and large normal college lives in many ways — my sons’ very Christian fraternity could put away the beer with the best of them — it’s very fair to say that students as a whole are “adherent to biblical principles.” But the athletic department, particularly football leadership under Briles, was absolutely not. Despicably not so. You’re 100% right about that one.

Substitute "entire university" for "athletic department" and you're getting warmer.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:56 pm

The NCAA did not impose sanctions on Baylor because the violations were essentially criminal in nature, not specific violations involving NCAA code. When the NCAA tried to involve themselves in delivering penalties per criminal violations at PSU, they got spanked HARD in both state and Federal court. Notice that PSU did not garner any discernible penalties moving forward from our friends in Kansas, and after UNC, the NCAA has been reluctant to breathe fire on anyone. SMU was their apex moment, and they have had little to no sway since in enforcement or sanctions.

The ONLY possible sanctions against Baylor that remotely could have stuck involved LOIC, and that would have been a legal stretch at best. The requisite recruiting violations to document the 4 year probation was just window dressing. What the NCAA did yesterday was essentially extend a portion of Baylor's self imposed sanctions from 2015, with a "substantial" fine of "meh".

The real issue is the $$$ that Baylor is still paying out to settle cases, and the attorney fees to fight the two unresolved cases. Baylor is desperately hoping to land on its feet in a conference at or equal to the Big 12, and Ann can't be resurrected to accomplish that for them. They need the money, and will be getting more and more interested in landing SOONER rather than wait it out for later...pun intended.

Interesting times...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football