PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 Cease & Desist Letter to ESPN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12 Cease & Desist Letter to ESPN

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am

Gov. Abbott is a Whorn and went to Vanderbilt (SEC), don't expect him to get involved in this spat. But AG Paxton is a Bear. Speaker of Texas House - Phelan is a Whorn. Dan Patrick has established a Senate Commission on the Future of College Athletics in Texas. He's a Terrapin.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:04 pm

The New AAC
tcu, osu, baylor, wv.

Mo Money too.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Hoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm

BUS wrote:The New AAC
tcu, osu, baylor, wv.

I don't claim to have a crystal ball, so who knows what's going to happen?

But can you imagine the press conferences at any of those schools as they try to sell their fans on how that's a positive move for those programs?
Hoss
All-American

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am

please keep 'rape U' out of any conference we are in. they kept us out and now it is our turn. Plus we don't want their ilk - no discipline, no honesty, murderers and rapists and lie to cover it up.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:50 am

redpony wrote:please keep 'rape U' out of any conference we are in. they kept us out and now it is our turn. Plus we don't want their ilk - no discipline, no honesty, murderers and rapists and lie to cover it up.

Remember that when the Big XII adds 4 more schools from the AAC but excludes SMU. At least we won't be in the same conference as Baylor so you will be one of the few SMU fans, if not the only one who will be pleased.
Charleston Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 am

BPS! It lurks within us all...
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Remember that when the Big XII adds 4 more schools from the AAC but excludes SMU. .

you seem to forget that tc who and rapeU kept us out before. I doubt if they change their minds. Plus IMO it should be the AAC who is adding schools as others in the b12 will be bailing out as well.

Plus as per Mac Engle the schools in the b12 do not want anything to do with any of the AAC schools.
Let the AAC be the hunter, not the hunted.
redpony

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:52 am

AusTxPony wrote:BPS! It lurks within us all...

Guess I don't know your slang. To me BPS is basis points used in bonds and interest.
redpony

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:36 pm

redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Remember that when the Big XII adds 4 more schools from the AAC but excludes SMU. .

you seem to forget that tc who and rapeU kept us out before. I doubt if they change their minds. Plus IMO it should be the AAC who is adding schools as others in the b12 will be bailing out as well.

Plus as per Mac Engle the schools in the b12 do not want anything to do with any of the AAC schools.
Let the AAC be the hunter, not the hunted.

I heard a clown show sports talk show out of Waco yesterday talking about this. They posted their top 5 AAC schools that they thought the Big 12 should raid. We didn't make the list of course and they argued that Tulsa is a much stronger candidate than SMU. I have a feeling that Iowa State and Kansas will both be in the Big 10 soon which really cuts the conference down even further.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
redpony wrote:please keep 'rape U' out of any conference we are in. they kept us out and now it is our turn. Plus we don't want their ilk - no discipline, no honesty, murderers and rapists and lie to cover it up.

Remember that when the Big XII adds 4 more schools from the AAC but excludes SMU. At least we won't be in the same conference as Baylor so you will be one of the few SMU fans, if not the only one who will be pleased.

I, for one, wouldn't be pleased but it would lessen the sting, just a bit, knowing that we aren't in the same conference as those amoral hypocrites.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Flexibility is the key here for SMU...

While we are in the best conference scenario that is not P-5, that is apt to change...daily. Hart and Turner need to be aggressive in positioning SMU.

This is not time for Pye part deux
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:08 pm

If Tulsa was taken over SMU, both Turner and Hart should be immediately fired!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby stlpony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:39 pm

the way i see it; no major conference is aggressively pursuing B12 members. if a couple find a new home, B12 is done and AAC has a play to make. otherwise, B12 will try to selectively add AAC members to keep teams out that it deems undesirable. or, if nobody wants to join, B12 will play with 8 members and keep all the short-term dollars. these teams know they'd be invited to the AAC in 2025 or at any point they desire. regardless, at the end of the day, teams in the B12 and AAC need each other...it's just a matter of how much and how fast. personally, i'd love to see SMU play all of those schools.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby peruna81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 pm

stlpony wrote:the way i see it; no major conference is aggressively pursuing B12 members. if a couple find a new home, B12 is done and AAC has a play to make. otherwise, B12 will try to selectively add AAC members to keep teams out that it deems undesirable. or, if nobody wants to join, B12 will play with 8 members and keep all the short-term dollars. these teams know they'd be invited to the AAC in 2025 or at any point they desire. regardless, at the end of the day, teams in the B12 and AAC need each other...it's just a matter of how much and how fast. personally, i'd love to see SMU play all of those schools.

Welcome, and nice image.

While I would HOPE that the Big-Whateveritis invites SMU, the reality is we don't bring a whole heck of a lot to the table re the rest of the current Big Whateveritis. We are decent in both major revenue sports, but not exceptional...yet.

The generally p***** off attitude of the remaining schools right now makes me think they want nothing to do with a resurgent SMU...they are too used to the thin air of P-5 to bother with us. UH? Probably if the migration plans to the Pac 12 don't work out and if the ACC and Big 10-11 don't call. WV is in a true mess, having burned several bridges going back to the Big East days, and not academically footed to fit into the ACC.

The real interesting wild card to me is the PAC 12...does it expand, does it get raided, or does it stand pat? In this environment, standing still is deadly.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:12 am

With an expanded playoff in the works, not sure the PAC 12 has any huge incentive to expand, but this is all about TV revenue so if they can expand into the central time zone with schools that have a significant alumni population, I would expect them to at least consider doing so. Might be the same situation for the ACC and Big 10. Obviously the public schools Texas Tech, Okie State, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State & West Virginia all have significantly larger undergrad and alumni populations than Baylor and TCU so who knows what the deciding factors will be? I would think Houston will be a more attractive option than SMU whether we care to admit it or not. Although it is a relative newcomer, UCF has tremendous potential as an eastern time zone conference mate but with FSU and Miami already in the fold, I don't see the ACC considering adding the Knights.

If I was running the Big XII, I would do what I could to hold that group together and to remain as attractive as possible to the networks. Unless ESPN has an "out", I certainly don't see the Big XII abandoning their current deal that runs through the 2024-25 season. Obviously Texas and OU can't be replaced, but I would look to get back to 10 or 12 members and expand my eastern time zone footprint by inviting Cincinnati & UCF (to appease WVU?) and would consider USF & Memphis to form East/West divisions. Big XII just needs to hope the Big 10 and PAC 12 don't decide to invite additional schools and effectively kill the conference. If that happens, I would expect the AAC to remain relatively in tact and remain the "best of the rest" conference.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football