PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 Cease & Desist Letter to ESPN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12 Cease & Desist Letter to ESPN

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 am

We don't know what the network suits are up to. They know the Big XII toaster leavings are all in poor TV markets and individually do not even command a full state. They might qualify to must carry on some cable systems, but Waco, Stillwater, Manhattan, Lawrence, Ames, Lubbock and Morgantown or even the whole state of WV do not do much to move the TV needle. Ft. Worth being the lone large market (when added to Dallas). The AAC is located in major metropolitan areas with the exception of East Carolina and Tulsa. Those will command larger must carry cable sets, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa/St. Pete, Orlando, DC metro area, Philly, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston. Even Tulsa has a larger cable system than Stillwater. I suspect the suits won't want to break-up the AAC, but will try and broker various deals for the Big XII teams. I could see perhaps KU and ISU heading to the Big X. Although Iowa will not want ISU. Don't know Iowa politics. We just have to not have the every man for himself mentality. The ACC may not want WVU, if history proves any points. Picking Louisville as the Pitino scandal was breaking over WV speaks volumes. They will need a huge incentive to add WVU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:45 am

I don't think SMU being in Dallas makes us attractive compared to the much larger public schools despite their remote locations. My guess is that there are more Texas Tech and Okie State grads living in those larger media markets than there are SMU grads. My thinking is that the sheer number of undergrads and alumni a given school has, combined with what their athletic programs bring to the table and their demonstrated fan followings, will ultimately drive any future expansion decisions. There are reasons that SMU is pretty low on the pole when it comes to major conferences looking for expansion candidates.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 am

True, be we know how to help players get paid and that will mean something in the new normal.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PK » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:53 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I don't think SMU being in Dallas makes us attractive compared to the much larger public schools despite their remote locations. My guess is that there are more Texas Tech and Okie State grads living in those larger media markets than there are SMU grads. My thinking is that the sheer number of undergrads and alumni a given school has, combined with what their athletic programs bring to the table and their demonstrated fan followings, will ultimately drive any future expansion decisions. There are reasons that SMU is pretty low on the pole when it comes to major conferences looking for expansion candidates.
However, those large numbers of alums would probably enjoy seeing their school play a game in Dallas as well as in Fort Worth.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby stlpony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:48 am

I love Boise State's message to their season ticket holders where it indicates the fans need to do their part to put them in a better conference. This is part of the message they sent to all football season ticket holder.

"Boise State Athletics needs your help in reaching our expectations. It means doing your part to achieve six sellouts at Albertsons Stadium this fall. It means increased engagement with the programs you follow. It means recruiting new supporters. It means stepping up during a historic time in collegiate athletics when your support will set the tone for the future of Boise State."

As an aside, the Boise State board is the most humble I have seen and they are very honest about their fit. We need to do our part, a half full stadium with a decent record in a big market is nothing exciting. Granted, it might be the chicken and the egg, if we had P5 media right's money like TCU/Baylor we would already be on par, but Boise State's plan to engage the community resonates with me. I do look forward to seeing everyone on the boulevard in about a month. Go Ponies!
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby PK » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:14 pm

stlpony wrote:I love Boise State's message to their season ticket holders where it indicates the fans need to do their part to put them in a better conference. This is part of the message they sent to all football season ticket holder.

"Boise State Athletics needs your help in reaching our expectations. It means doing your part to achieve six sellouts at Albertsons Stadium this fall. It means increased engagement with the programs you follow. It means recruiting new supporters. It means stepping up during a historic time in collegiate athletics when your support will set the tone for the future of Boise State."

As an aside, the Boise State board is the most humble I have seen and they are very honest about their fit. We need to do our part, a half full stadium with a decent record in a big market is nothing exciting. Granted, it might be the chicken and the egg, if we had P5 media right's money like TCU/Baylor we would already be on par, but Boise State's plan to engage the community resonates with me. I do look forward to seeing everyone on the boulevard in about a month. Go Ponies!

Well it is one thing getting the locals involved in a place like Boise with no big time professional teams to compete with for fans and entertainment dollars as apposed to what we have to deal with in Dallas.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby stlpony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:42 pm

PK wrote:
stlpony wrote:I love Boise State's message to their season ticket holders where it indicates the fans need to do their part to put them in a better conference. This is part of the message they sent to all football season ticket holder.

Well it is one thing getting the locals involved in a place like Boise with no big time professional teams to compete with for fans and entertainment dollars as apposed to what we have to deal with in Dallas.

SMU's stadium is 10% smaller than Boise State's and sells no more than 2/3rd of its tickets for any game. Other entertainment options don't matter. We now field a good product; if nobody shows up for the games, there's only so much the university can do to position the metroplex as an asset.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:44 pm

SMU's Pony Express in the early 80's drew pretty well although even with that product on the field, we needed fans from our public school conference mates to come close to filling Texas Stadium. If only Methodists supported SMU like Catholics do Notre Dame! At least the campaign is underway to sell SMU as Dallas' school. That's our best hope, but like Boise State's appeal to their fans, it would be nice to see Ford Stadium packed no matter who the opponent. Need to market cheap seats to the locals. Get those young families out to fill the endzones like the Cowboys did in their early days.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:00 pm

crazy, crazy idea- perhaps Aresco should send a cease and desist letter to the b12. he could claim that through direct and indirect actions (affiliated sports media and reporters) that they are attempting to lure and subtly create interest in certain conference schools in leaving the AAC for the b12. His letter should demand that the b12 has no contact direct or indirectly with any schools in the AAC, nor should they exhibit any level of interest in them.

what goes round, comes round.
redpony

Postby bubba pony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:30 pm

this is interesting AAC makes offer to remaining Big 12 schools. Who is driving the bus?

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021 ... ce-big-12/
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby BUS » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:54 pm

Invite all of them, then don't be worried if a few fall away.

Get in the fight early and be prepared. Maybe we have this put to bed in way less that 4 years.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Dukie » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:26 pm

BUS wrote:Invite all of them, then don't be worried if a few fall away.

Get in the fight early and be prepared. Maybe we have this put to bed in way less that 4 years.

Agree 100%!
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:53 pm

bubba pony wrote:this is interesting AAC makes offer to remaining Big 12 schools. Who is driving the bus?

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021 ... ce-big-12/

Would be nice if the AAC could lure Big XII members and renegotiate it's TV deals with ESPN and CBS but the reality is that if Texas and OU leave before the 2024-25 season, it's the Big XII that's going to be in position to lure AAC schools because they have a much more lucrative deal with ESPN and FOX. Unless an early exit by Texas and OU allows ESPN and FOX to renegotiate or significantly reduce what their contracts provide to the remaining Big XII members; or the ACC, Big 10/14 and PAC 12 decide to invite some of the remaining "little 8", I would rate the chances of the AAC pulling a power play in the "slim to none" category.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 am

we can only hope ESPN will drive a merger. IMO there is no chance UT and OU don't negotiate a buyout and are playing in the SEC season after this one. If the little 8 are left to rebuild their conference we will be left out in the cold. I would think ESPN could pressure them with threats of new deal due to UT and OU leaving as well as a TV schedule that would be unfavorable to them.

I do not want to be in a third level conference with the likes of north texas.
redpony

Postby well travelled pony » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Living in Colorado, people around here think Colorado should leave Pac 12, and make a move to the Big 10. Also that Colorado State should seek a spot in the AAC.
well travelled pony
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football