PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unanimous approval from SEC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Unanimous approval from SEC

Postby Webmaster » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:19 pm

The Athletic is reporting that SEC presidents met Thursday, and in a unanimous vote, approved the addition of UT and OU.

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/okla ... DgtCNpx3ut

The bit that's interesting to me is that UT and OU are (hypothetically) going to stick around until the current "Grant of Rights" contract expires, so they won't officially join to SEC until July 1 2025. So that's 3 whole lame duck seasons of Big XII football.

That also seems to allow the other dominoes a fair window to determine which way they want to fall.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Unanimous approval from SEC

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Webmaster wrote:
The bit that's interesting to me is that UT and OU are (hypothetically) going to stick around until the current "Grant of Rights" contract expires, so they won't officially join to SEC until July 1 2025. So that's 3 whole lame duck seasons of Big XII football..

I suspect that is more legal posturing and a negotiating ploy than reality. I would expect them to negotiate a buyout and start in the SEC in 2022. They already know the b12 is going to play hardball with them so they are planning their strategy. Of course ESPN could put all of the other conference games on ESPN3 and at bad times if things get too sticky.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Unanimous approval from SEC

Postby BUS » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:48 pm

With the above moving the schedule forward... I would be very open and publically invite the teams we want to join the AAC.

I would like to see a letter signed by all current institutions opening the doors to those schools that desire... great academics, high caliber sports and integrity.... yadda, yadda, yadda. To talk to the new power conference the AAC.

Push now, sell now, CLOSE now.

I have a feeling this is going to move fast ... way before 2025.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football