PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

best guesses

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

best guesses

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:47 pm

1) what are the chances the remaining big 12 schools and aac will all join to form a super middling conference? is that what espn wants? do we? speculate?:

2) best outcome for smu? and no, SEC invite is not plausible.

3) i think sonny has fatterson's number, so i hope that rivalry stays.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Re: best guesses

Postby MustangFan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:08 pm

I don't know. Kind of feels like the Big 12's leftovers would be resistant, because even without OU and UT, they seem to think they're somehow better than the AAC. Or am I wrong on that?

It's not like road trips to Waco or Manhattan would be dream destinations, but if it means a bigger piece of the $$$ pie for SMU, bring it on.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Topper » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor would all cause a big spike in attendance at Ford. Kansas State is known to travel well. Let's face it: Who living in Stillwater, Lubbock or Waco wouldn't look for a good excuse to visit Dallas? The Little 8 still think that they will be poached by the ACC or PAC 12. Personally, I believe that Kansas and Iowa State will go to the Big 10 no matter what and I really doubt that the PAC 12 would be interested in any of the remaining 6. I'm not sure that those 6 teams will have much choice but to form some alliance with the AAC teams whether Baylor and TCU want us or not.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 pm

what are chances the little eight will try to cherry pick from aac? uh, memphis, ucf, smu, any 2 to fill big open slots? if they did, i rather think it would be 2 of the non smu candidates. maybe uh and ucf?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 pm

originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:what are chances the little eight will try to cherry pick from aac? uh, memphis, ucf, smu, any 2 to fill big open slots? if they did, i rather think it would be 2 of the non smu candidates. maybe uh and ucf?

It's all about appealing to ESPN & FOX and making the best deal they can with future TV contracts, so If the little 8 wants to get back to 10 members by adding 2 schools, I would think Cincy & UCF will be by far the most attractive from the AAC and 2 additional eastern time zone members in strong media markets would probably please West Virginia (assuming the latter can't convince the ACC to take them)
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football