PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stay or Move to Big 12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stay or Move to Big 12

Postby ponyfan777 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:26 pm

1st off I really like the AAC. But, moving to the Big 12 might be a true possibility. Your thoughts...

Go Ponies!
DeanO~
ponyfan777
Varsity

Re: Stay or Move to Big 12

Postby Comet » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Depends on what version of the Big 12 it is and what the potential media revenues are. Regardless of that, I'm just a fan of regional rivalries so playing against Baylor and TCU more frequently would be pretty fun.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 pm

Despite our anxiety to be a P5, we probably should not get ahead of ourselves or others by being a first mover (think musical chairs). ;-D

We need to know what any conference's situation and likely media power will be; along with who else we might be joining with.

Two appealing options are a strong Texas contingent within some combination of Big12/AAC schools or PAC 12, which is less likely but very desirable.

In summary, we need to be very patient.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:53 pm

I don't care what conference we are in. I do care what teams we share the conference with. I want SMU to play in the league that maximizes the amount of former SWC teams. If that is the Big XII or AAC so be it. We will have more meaningful games, better crowds, and easier road trips against TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Oklahoma State (an original SWC member) than we will against most other opponents.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:06 pm

mustangxc wrote:I don't care what conference we are in. I do care what teams we share the conference with. I want SMU to play in the league that maximizes the amount of former SWC teams. If that is the Big XII or AAC so be it. We will have more meaningful games, better crowds, and easier road trips against TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Oklahoma State (an original SWC member) than we will against most other opponents.

Agreed. I would like to see both Houston and SMU rejoin TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech along with others to form a group of anywhere from 12-18 members with divisional play and a football championship game (from a pure competition standpoint) but we all know the networks are ultimately going to dictate who aligns with who because they sign the checks everyone is so hungry for.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:22 pm

I have zero interest in playing Baylor. I hope their sins land them in the Sun Belt.

The rest? Sure I guess.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:14 am

Add in Tulane Tulsa, and Rice and Navy, you have a southern Ivy division. SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa, and Navy. Never happen.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby peruna81 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:59 pm

If we can increase exposure and revenue sources by joining a revised Big 12, I'm in.

Not thinking that is going to happen, but yeah, sure.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:55 pm

I do think we’ll be playing some more of our “natural and traditional rivals,” as well as some more regional teams, in conference pretty soon. Whether that’s a new Big 12 or an expanded AAC remains to be seen.
ponyboy

Postby SMUguy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Make the Big 12 come to us.
Then turn TCU and Baylor away.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby BUS » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:24 am

I don't see the little 8 making it as a conference. Too many leaks.
Personally, AAC to expand.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:46 pm

Another big blow to the Little 8 and boost to The American - the host of Inside The Big 12 moved to The American this week to be the director of video communication.

https://theamerican.org/news/2021/8/12/general-american-athletic-conference-announces-three-staff-additions.aspx

IRVING, Texas – Commissioner Mike Aresco has announced the addition of three new staff members to the American Athletic Conference.

Morgan Uber has been named as Director of Video Communications and Reporter. Erica Holmes has been named Director of Women’s Basketball Operations and Sport Administration. Jernaya Sharp joins the staff as Administrative Fellow.

“I am pleased to welcome Morgan, Erica and Jernaya to The American and look forward to having them provide outstanding service to our member institutions and other constituents,” said Aresco. “Morgan is a talented and creative reporter with demonstrated on-camera experience at two Division I conferences who will enhance our video productions. Erica is a skilled, dedicated and hard-working professional who will have an integral role in the administration of our women’s basketball and Olympic sport operations and will be an important liaison with our member schools. Jernaya is a rising star who will bring perspective as a high-level student-athlete to her administrative role with the conference.”

Uber will serve as The American’s primary on-air talent for conference-produced programming, creating broadcast-quality video content and providing on-site coverage of conference championships and other events. She will additionally oversee the conference’s Campus Connect initiative to identify and mentor students interested in pursuing careers in reporting.

Uber previously served as the Digital Correspondent for the Big 12 Conference since December of 2019 and was the Network Correspondent and on-air talent for the Patriot League from 2016-19. She is the winner of a 2019 Sports Video Group/NACDA College Sports Media Award for outstanding live game event production and won the 2016 Kansas City Press Club Heart of America Award for sports reporting. She is a graduate of the University of Missouri with a bachelor’s degree in journalism.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:23 pm

I hope the power brokers who have a say in realignment remember how Baylor and TCU worked to keep us out ... and that we return the favor
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:18 am

ClassOf81 wrote:I hope the power brokers who have a say in realignment remember how Baylor and TCU worked to keep us out ... and that we return the favor

I would prefer that we were in a league with both of them and give them the poundings that they deserve year in and year out.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 am

PonyTime wrote:
ClassOf81 wrote:I hope the power brokers who have a say in realignment remember how Baylor and TCU worked to keep us out ... and that we return the favor

I would prefer that we were in a league with both of them and give them the poundings that they deserve year in and year out.

It is hard to imagine that we gain P5 status, while the Bears and the Frogs might lose theirs is not even a remote possibility. In short, we would be thrilled to be in any conference with them. Given our long journey in the wilderness, we may have a path to being promoted and should be more than satisfied with any membership with our former Texas partners. And, we can then pound them on the field.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football