PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best WR in last 15 years...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best WR in last 15 years...

Postby DreadHead » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:16 pm

Kicking back in Kingston with a buddy of mine and we got to talking. He said that Kevin Thornal was the best receiver we've had since the DP. I argued that J. Wolf, M. Ro :shock: ssley or C. Cunningham pre-injury were better.

I thought that I would pose the question to PonyFans: who would you say is the best WR since 1989?
DreadHead
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:18 pm

Very enlightening post. None of our "GREATEST WR prospects in 15 years" even got a sniff at playing in the NFL. Great kids-overachievers-but quite frankly not of exceptional talent. I wonder if ANY of the "SMU's GREATEST WRs in 15 years" could even crack the starting lineup or even get significant playing time at UT, Tech, OU, OSU THIS YEAR?
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:07 pm

Stallion, you need to go get drunk or laid or both. Do something to get happy. That post is uncalled for and mean spirited to say the least. Those kids, with what ever talent they may or may not have had, busted their butts for SMU and as such deserve better than your bitter and belittling comments.
PK

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:05 pm

I would say he is more in need of the later
gostangs

Mick-A-Roo

Postby FWMustang » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:54 am

Definitely Mick Rossley. Ran good routes (there's a novel concept), had good hands, and went over the middle (vs. SWC secondaries, at that),
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:09 am

Give me Albert Johnson and the Comet.
Neither was "big enough" or "fast enough" - but they sure played big.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:12 am

And in hindsight, there are a lot of schools that might have given a second look to the likes of Jason Wolf -- he of the all-time SWC career receiving record -- or Mick Rossley. There were a lot of coaches wondering how those "too slow" WRs ended up with 10-12 receptions so often.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:15 am

Actually, let me modify my earlier nomination of Albert Johnson (who IS in the NFL, Stallion) and Comet Cunningham.

The top name on the list has to be Michael Bowen. Not only did he catch the "Miracle on Mockingbird" pass to give SMU its first win in 1989, but here's a man who transferred to Georgia when football disappeared and then transferred back to get his degree from SMU and to lead a team made up almost exclusively of freshmen. That's a great player at any position, and a great Mustang.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Sic_em » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:23 am

Thornal did sniff the NFL...he was on the Atlanta Falcons practice squad for at least one year.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 am

Bryan Berry on that catch from Flanigan to win the game against New Mexico at Ownby.
PonySnob

Postby davidsmu94 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:52 am

I have to go with Wolf, I just wish he didn't fall down after every catch
davidsmu94
Heisman

Best Reciever in 15 Years!

Postby Bo 17 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:14 pm

I am a bit biased but I would have to say Jason Wolfe. He was more of a true running back by build, but in the slot he was a machine. He had great hands, good speed, but the main thing is that he was a play-maker. He was a go to guy you could count on in the pinch. Another thing is that he was a durable player. He had a few injuries but that guy took a huge beating each week. I don't know what it was about Jason, but the collisions he was involved in were just plain brutal. I will always remember Jason coming back to the huddle after just getting the crap knocked out of him laughing about it!!!

Oh, and by the way he is the all-time leading reciever in SWC history! A record that will never be broken.....
Bo 17
\"Come in Ro...This is Bo!\"
Bo 17
Recruit

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:24 pm

Bowen, Rossley, and Wolfe came to mind before I read all the replies.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DreadHead » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:56 pm

How about the great "could have beens" -- Jack Brewer, et al?
DreadHead
Scout Team

Re: Best Reciever in 15 Years!

Postby Corso » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:02 pm

Bo 17 wrote:I am a bit biased but I would have to say Jason Wolfe. He was more of a true running back by build, but in the slot he was a machine. He had great hands, good speed, but the main thing is that he was a play-maker. He was a go to guy you could count on in the pinch. Another thing is that he was a durable player. He had a few injuries but that guy took a huge beating each week. I don't know what it was about Jason, but the collisions he was involved in were just plain brutal. I will always remember Jason coming back to the huddle after just getting the crap knocked out of him laughing about it!!!

Oh, and by the way he is the all-time leading reciever in SWC history! A record that will never be broken.....

That's a serious endorsement when the great Michael Bowen touts one of his teammates for the honor, even when he (Bowen) caught the most memorable pass since the return of football.
Can you imagine the numbers Wolf might have put up in that offense if he was 6'2" and ran a 4.4?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football