PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations from practice (8/15/21)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Observations from practice (8/15/21)

Postby PonyPride » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:34 pm

With clouds threatening rain, Sunday's practice was in the Armstrong Field House. Some notes:

QB Preston Stone doesn't look like a typical freshman — partly, of course, because he enrolled early and had the benefit of spring practice. Through spring and the start of fall camp, he has shown the attributes that were discussed while teams recruited him: strong arm, accuracy and running ability that combines both speed and elusiveness in the open field. But what has been impressive lately is that his comfort level seems to improve almost daily. That is to be expected as he gets more comfortable in the Sonny Dykes/Garrett Riley offense, and continues to get more comfortable with his teammates and the playbook. But it's not unusual for freshman quarterbacks to get skittish, either regularly throwing the ball away quickly or holding it far too long while he waits for plays to develop. Several times Sunday, Stone held his ground in the face of a pass rush during team (11 on 11) drills, went through his reads and found a receiver. Make no mistake: doing this in practice is different than in games, since the quarterbacks know they can run their drills without getting planted in the turf by the defense, but even with the "hands off" policy for preseason camp, the sudden arrival of a blitzing linebacker or defensive end has made more than a few quarterbacks fling the ball out of bounds and gear up for the next play. Stone's physical gifts are readily apparent, and he appears to be more poised on the field than many freshmen. We'll know more when gets the chance to play in games and has to dodge defenders who chase him with bad intentions... Stone also completed more back-shoulder passes Sunday than I remember seeing in the spring or earlier in camp, an indication of increased comfort with the playbook and timing with his receivers.

• The defense, which dropped a couple of potential interceptions Saturday, converted more of its opportunities Sunday. LB Jadarius Thursby jumped a route early in practice and made an interception that would have been an easy pick-six return, and S Ty DeArman made a nice grab off a pass over the middle that deflected off the hands of TE Ben Redding.

• Easiest touchdown pass of the day came in 7-on-7 drills to WR Austin Upshaw streaking across the back of the end zone ... although to be fair, he was covered by WRs coach David Gru, who jumped in to offer token cover when he saw Upshaw unguarded.

• If that was the easiest catch of the day, the unlikeliest of the day came when QB Derek Green rolled away from pressure, didn't see an open receiver and threw the ball away, right to ... T Beau Morris, who was watching from the sideline. For good measure, Morris made the catch with just his left hand, as he clutched his helmet under his right arm.

• When standing by P Matt Fraanje and P/K Brendan Hall, transfer K Blake Mazza looks like someone's little brother (to be fair, Mazza is listed at 5-10 ... which is only noteworthy because Fraanje is listed at 6-5 and Hall is 6-8). But Mazza has a very strong leg. For a PonyFans.com story in April, the former Lou Groza Award finalist reported that his longest field goal in a game was 51 yards against Utah, and he said he has connected from 62 yards in practice, and from 69 yards in an individual workout, but there is a difference between being an elite kicker and simply having power. Think of it like a golfer: there are big guys who can crush a golf ball with brute strength, but if they can't control the aim or get elevation, the chance of finding the green is minimal, right? Mazza can drive the ball a long way, but he also has excellent mechanics, splitting the uprights right down the middle and getting the ball up quickly to avoid defenders trying to block the kicks.

• One of the many cool features in the Armstrong Field House is the numbers worn at SMU by Mustangs who are now in the NFL (Kelvin Beachum's 68, Courtland Sutton's 16, Zach Wood's 90, etc.) Delonte Scott (now in camp with the Green Bay Packers) is honored with the number 98, but wore 35 at SMU, while Xavier Jones has 35 — his number with the Los Angeles Rams — on the wall, but wore 10 and then 5 at SMU.

• Judging defensive play in 7-on-7 drills is difficult. Without much (if any) pass rush, the defensive backs chasing receivers are left at a distinct disadvantage, as quarterbacks can wait patiently for their receivers to get a step of separation. Two DBs who made several impressive plays in 7-on-7 drills were safeties Roderick Roberson and Bryce McMorris. More than once, Roberson got a step behind a receiver running up the middle or across the end zone and recovered in time to make up ground and knock the ball away.

• Quick study? When players rotate in and out of the lineup, it's not uncommon to see veteran players on the sideline yelling tips, almost like extra coaches, to their teammates who are taking reps. One DB who was visibly vocal was CB Jahari Rogers — notable only because Rogers just transferred to the Hilltop this summer. As a redshirt freshman, he still has plenty to learn, but the fact that he is comfortable helping teammates get lined up correctly, etc., suggests Rogers has quickly developed a measure of comfort in defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt's system.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Observations from practice (8/15/21)

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks for the update. Once again the indoor practice facility comes through! Worth every penny.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyPride » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:57 pm

Is it ever ... for those PonyFans who live outside of DFW, this morning was disgustingly humid, like Houston humid or East Coast humid. When I headed to campus for practice, I was mumbling about how gross it would be — even for those of us just watching — at practice. But when I realized there was nobody on the practice field and then walked in to the air conditioned Armstrong IPF (moved at least in part, I suspect, because of the threat of rain) ... it was glorious. The cool, dry air made it a perfect setting for practice ... and coffee.
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm

I get a massive dopamine hit when I check the board and see there’s a practice report.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:45 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:I get a massive dopamine hit when I check the board and see there’s a practice report.

:lol:
Nice work. Just spit some coffee when I read that — not on the keyboard, but still ... well played.
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby Lefty » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:46 pm

If Rogers is helping his teammates already, you'd have to think he has a chance to play early.
Lefty
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 am

Lefty wrote:If Rogers is helping his teammates already, you'd have to think he has a chance to play early.

Day one starter.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby dalpony » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:22 am

Bytor- does Rogers beat out Crossley or McMorris as a starter at CB (I am assuming that A Johnson has been beaten out)?
dalpony
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:29 am

dalpony wrote:Bytor- does Rogers beat out Crossley or McMorris as a starter at CB (I am assuming that A Johnson has been beaten out)?

From my humble observation, if we played today McMorris and Rogers are our starting corners. We still have almost 3 weeks until the 1st game, a lot of things can happen. Questions at safety, could cause a corner to be moved back there. I think Johnson is our 4th corner and Crossley with his ball hawking skills, is too good to sit on the sidelines.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:34 am

My observation from riding my motor scooter by practice this morning is that we are bigger, stronger, and faster than any time since Bobby Collins got his pink slip.
ponyboy

Return to Football