PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Consider this Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Consider this Big XII

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I've said all along that if I was running the Big XII I would reach out to UCF and Cincy in hopes of salvaging some value for the conference, not to mention adding a couple of eastern time zone teams to supplement West Virginia...but ultimately everyone in the Big XII is hoping to bail on their conference mates and to retain those healthy revenue sharing checks. Of the remaining AAC schools, I would say Memphis and Houston are probably the next best bets after UCF & Cincy right now. Bottom line is that size/attendance really matters.

Not a surprise, but this report says BYU is a No-Brainer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/repor ... tp&pc=U531
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:22 pm

One article I was reading said the Big whatever should go after BYU, BSU, Cinci and UCF. Sadly that makes a lot of sense.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:37 pm

I disagree. I think Cincinnati and Memphis make the most sense. After that UCF and USF. Then BYU and Boise State.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:44 am

You need travel partners for non-revenue sports. So, Cincy becomes WV's travel partner. UH probably gets the nod of Memphis. USF and UCF or BYU/Boise. Not sure that will keep them at P5 status. Adds on major market and one medium market and a National team in BYU. Navy, Army and AF give you just as many TV sets. There are 8.5 Million living Army vets, 6 Million Navy/Marine vets, and 3 Million Air Force Vets. LDS has 16.5 Members. Unfortunately we are not the team that all Methodists follow. There are 6.5 Million in US and 32 Million worldwide.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:58 am

UH’s AD poisoned the waters with the B12 five years ago. There’s still talk of bad feelings.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:13 am

EastStang wrote: Unfortunately we are not the team that all Methodists follow.

It is our own fault we have done everything possible to distance ourselves from the Methodist church instead of embracing it.

There is no reason we shouldn't have a similar national following as BYU and Notre Dame.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Webmaster » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:35 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

It is our own fault we have done everything possible to distance ourselves from the Methodist church instead of embracing it.

There is no reason we shouldn't have a similar national following as BYU and Notre Dame.

I had thoughts along those very same lines the other day.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:30 pm

There are far more Methodists than Mormons and our numbers probably are very close to the number of Catholics in the U.S. but not sure SMU could ever attract fans based on religious preference...no more than Baylor can attract Baptists, who far out number both Catholics and Methodists. I think the campaign of trying to make SMU Dallas' school is a good approach, but the "elite" image is tough to overcome.
Charleston Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:28 pm

No pressure but this season looms mighty important. With Cincy and UCF frequently being mentioned as the best of the AAC and Memphis and UH as the bridesmaids that leaves us as the flower girl and not attractive to be included in any P5 expansion discussion. If we can beat most (hopefully all and win the conference this year) it would be a harder sell for a P5 conference to take the 2nd and 3rd place AAC teams and leave the champion behind. Not that this one season can determine the fate of SMU football forever but this one season will probably determine the fate of SMU football forever.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:37 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Not that this one season can determine the fate of SMU football forever but this one season will probably determine the fate of SMU football forever.

It very well could!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Topper » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm

BYU by far has better viewer numbers than anyone in the Little Eight. They are hugely attractive to anyone who will have them. The problem is basketball scheduling. Court them for the AAC and hold our conference championship hoops game on Saturday night. BYU would bring a lot of value to the AAC thereby making it more attractive to UCF and Cincy. I know it won't happen, but why not go all out and offer Notre Dame whatever they want to come on board as well?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:50 pm

Notre Dame has some history with USF, Cincy and Memphis when they were in the BE for hoops together.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:30 pm

This week a BYU official gave a speech doubling down on their anti-gay policy and I think that's that in terms of any P5 conference taking them.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:05 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:This week a BYU official gave a speech doubling down on their anti-gay policy and I think that's that in terms of any P5 conference taking them.

BYU, "Any conference that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join". (Apologies Groucho)
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:25 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Not that this one season can determine the fate of SMU football forever but this one season will probably determine the fate of SMU football forever.

It very well could!!!

I'd like to think every SMU football fan knows that is the case, but the problem is there are just too few of us. SMU just might compete for the AAC title this season, but unless we can pack Ford with 30k or more for EVERY home game, including Abilene Christian, then success on the field just might not matter to the folks steering future conference realignments.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football