PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Consider this Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Consider this Big XII

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 am

So does Baylor or TCU drop the black ball on us?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 am

gostangs wrote:
Dukie wrote:
panhandle_pony wrote:Dukies response just validated his thesis. Interesting

Heh. By all means, explain how? All I want is nobody’s politics on this board. I don’t want ponyboy to feel “criminally stupid,” his Baylor-love notwithstanding. I’ve never pretended he “doesn’t exist.” I’m not “tear[ing] down [his] country, [his family], and everything else that is near and dear to [him].”

I just don’t care to read about his political grievances. Go elsewhere with that crap.

Says the guy that brings politics into the discussion constantly. And can’t even say no politics without being political.

Sign if the tines I guess. Back to football…

Offer *one* example where I was the one who introduced politics. LOL.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 am

Dukie, just let it go. They claim you start the political arguments when you disagree with them. Until then, it's a free country and we know our rights and appreciate our liberties. Let's get back to talking realignment.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:48 am

EastStang wrote:So does Baylor or TCU drop the black ball on us?

Both
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:07 am

If I were Aresco, I'd set up a meeting with Bowlsby and say, look, by merging, we can create a decent football conference. Do you really want to get into bed with BYU? But equally important, it would probably be the best hoops conference in the Country. Who else can top Kansas, Baylor, Wichita State, Memphis, TCU, Houston, SMU, Iowa State, Okie State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Temple, UCF, and Tulsa? Not the ACC, not the Big East, not the PAC 12 or Big Ten. Big East gets $4.5 Million/team from FS!. BE had 7/10 teams go to the dance. This conference would easily get 8 or 9 bids. AAC current ESPN deal is $7 Million/team. Currently the Big XII is $37.7 Million per school. Take away UT and OU, probably reduces that by 50%. Still adding together $18 Million and 7 Million would make $25 Million per school. Gives the Big XII east coast TV's which are the big ratings numbers and it would be probably a good move.
EastStang

Postby BUS » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:34 am

Eaststang has hit the nail on the head. Really good football and FANTASTIC bball.

We get big money and all are happy. If the little 8 don't think a pay cut is coming - WAKE UP.

For the good of the country!!! lol
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:55 am

BUS wrote:Eaststang has hit the nail on the head. Really good football and FANTASTIC bball.

We get big money and all are happy. If the little 8 don't think a pay cut is coming - WAKE UP.

For the good of the country!!! lol

Eaststang and BUS,

Totally agree. I would add that Bowsley is crying "poor boy" that the BIG 12 have been injured by ESPN, SEC, Texas and OK, all of whom have damaged the conference.

However, It will be disingenuous of him to then raid AAC of our strongest teams. I am not naïve, as they would likely do that anyway; but it will be hypocritical.

:?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Look, I'd even let the current remaining Big XII members keep whatever ransom money UT and OU pay them to leave if they waive any entry fees.
EastStang

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:16 pm

So sad to see Money and Greed rampant in College Football. Does payout from TV really tell a fan which are the best conferences for them. The Little 8 and American (less a couple or four teams) should merge and take whatever money they can get. That would keep Texas Football in it's best shape to compete with UT/A&M.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:23 pm

EastStang wrote:If I were Aresco, I'd set up a meeting with Bowlsby and say, look, by merging, we can create a decent football conference. Do you really want to get into bed with BYU? But equally important, it would probably be the best hoops conference in the Country. Who else can top Kansas, Baylor, Wichita State, Memphis, TCU, Houston, SMU, Iowa State, Okie State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Temple, UCF, and Tulsa? Not the ACC, not the Big East, not the PAC 12 or Big Ten. Big East gets $4.5 Million/team from FS!. BE had 7/10 teams go to the dance. This conference would easily get 8 or 9 bids. AAC current ESPN deal is $7 Million/team. Currently the Big XII is $37.7 Million per school. Take away UT and OU, probably reduces that by 50%. Still adding together $18 Million and 7 Million would make $25 Million per school. Gives the Big XII east coast TV's which are the big ratings numbers and it would be probably a good move.

It's a very good conference. It is in no way superior to the ACC in MBB, but it's a very good conference. And it doesn't matter anyway--basketball will save absolutely no one, not even Kansas, or Duke if it comes to that.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:51 pm

Dukie wrote:
EastStang wrote:If I were Aresco, I'd set up a meeting with Bowlsby and say, look, by merging, we can create a decent football conference. Do you really want to get into bed with BYU? But equally important, it would probably be the best hoops conference in the Country. Who else can top Kansas, Baylor, Wichita State, Memphis, TCU, Houston, SMU, Iowa State, Okie State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Temple, UCF, and Tulsa? Not the ACC, not the Big East, not the PAC 12 or Big Ten. Big East gets $4.5 Million/team from FS!. BE had 7/10 teams go to the dance. This conference would easily get 8 or 9 bids. AAC current ESPN deal is $7 Million/team. Currently the Big XII is $37.7 Million per school. Take away UT and OU, probably reduces that by 50%. Still adding together $18 Million and 7 Million would make $25 Million per school. Gives the Big XII east coast TV's which are the big ratings numbers and it would be probably a good move.

It's a very good conference. It is in no way superior to the ACC in MBB, but it's a very good conference. And it doesn't matter anyway--basketball will save absolutely no one, not even Kansas, or Duke if it comes to that.

^This^

The Big East lasted as a "Power Conference" how long?

I would welcome entry in a Power Conference...I just don't see that in the immediate future with the fluidity of the situation.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm

Bowlsby stands by his accusation of interference by ESPN, SEC and AAC, as well as his disappointment in the Horns and Sooners.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... cusations/
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:10 pm

Water Pony wrote:Bowlsby stands by his accusation of interference by ESPN, SEC and AAC, as well as his disappointment in the Horns and Sooners.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... cusations/

So the Whorns, in particular, and Sooners will make more enemies. What else is new? I do think the Big XII needs to at least get back to 12 members, if not 14 or more in order to salvage media rights deals that will pay anywhere near the projected 50% of what they currently get. Big year for SMU if our school is going to continue to compete at the highest level of college athletics.

Meanwhile, does anyone else think Bowlsby is just a little paranoid thinking the AAC has any real influence in what is going to happen? I suppose our schools "sticking together" might lead to a situation where our media rights are close to the same value as the Little 8's, but come on, man!
Charleston Pony

Postby smuaustin1971 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:31 pm

I agree. I can't think the AAC had any influence over the situation... That is puzzling to me why he would make that accusation???
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:15 am

Crocodile tears for the Little 8. They had no qualms about destroying the SWC and then had the nerve to orchestrate a fake expansion movement a couple of years ago to take attention away from Baylor's sordid scandals. Now, as they criticize UT and OU, they ae attempting to lure several teams away from the AAC. Unfortunately the blood money they will get from those two teams puts them in a superior position to our league. If the Little 8 gets its way we are going to end up in an alliance with Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, Louisiana, La Tech, Southern Miss, UAB, ECU and Navy. Possibly Marshall, Temple, or Arkansas State could wind up in that mix as well. The really old-timers will remember that we fought for Texas Tech's entry into the SWC much to the horror of TCU. Has anyone called them to remind them of that?
Topper
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football