PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

First schools require vaccine or negative test for fans

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: First schools require vaccine or negative test for fans

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:03 pm

smuaustin1971 wrote:I have yet to understand what the reason for NOT getting vaccinated is???

Various explanations from people I know who have refused, ranging from Christian Scientist friend who has put his faith in a higher authority (and has never taken any vaccines other than what was required to attend school)...to outright fear from some I know who are unduly influenced by media instilling fear. Would love to hear from those on this board who are reluctant or flat out refusing to consider becoming vaccinated. As more businesses put requirements in place, it's going to make some people's lives difficult or at least inconvenient. I have a neighbor on a ventilator and struggling to survive in ICU right now after being influenced by media to NOT get vaccinated.

Just saw this. Glad I'm no longer a frequent flyer. Airlines and any public transportation, for that matter, has challenges these days

https://www.fidelity.com/news/article/t ... 9N-OUSBS_1
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:47 pm

New Orlean's mayor requires to enter all public spaces on must show proof of vaccination or recent negative Covid test. This affected the Saints game Monday. Online secondary market tickets were going for less than $1. Now its preseason so one wonders if there is a cause and affect. However, local restaurants have seen a huge drop off in business in less than one week.

I'm not making an argument for or against vaccination . However, there may be some unforseen consequences. We shall see how things work out over the next few weeks.
ponyte

Postby mustangxc » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:40 pm

It's a double edged sword. If COVID-19 continues to spike in New Orleans and gets out of hand leading to lockdowns that is a consequence of not taking proper precautions. I'd rather people stay home because they are throwing a tantrum than having to force everyone home because the hospitals don't have capacity to take care of someone that has a heart attack or stroke due to all doctors and hospital beds being occupied thanks to COVID-19.
mustangxc

Postby malonish » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:31 am

smuaustin1971 wrote:I have yet to understand what the reason for NOT getting vaccinated is???

#1 Hat color.
#2 Grifter disinfo taken in willingly.
#3 Disinfo adjacent leading to uncertainty by people who want to take it but are clouded by garbage information from #2s.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:20 am

Given that vaccination percentages are low among minority communities, is an ID requirement something that is suppressing their participation? Or is there another reason why? I think a huge majority of older white folks are vaccinated.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby smuaustin1971 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:18 am

Malonish - appreciate your explanation! Now I understand...
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:09 pm

We’ve got to stop this political bickering if we ever hope to get anywhere in this country. There are legitimate reasons why people are reticent to get the vaccine. I was in the same boat. Got my second Moderna shot today.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:36 pm

EastStang wrote:Given that vaccination percentages are low among minority communities, is an ID requirement something that is suppressing their participation? Or is there another reason why? I think a huge majority of older white folks are vaccinated.

And a huge majority of older minority folks are vaccinated as well. For the most part, it is not the older population refusing to get vaccinated. That vaccination rate is quite high, across all races and party denominations.

The vaccination rate of Hispanics is about the same as white, and the vaccination rate of Asians is way higher than white. So it isn't all minority communities.

I know people want to "leave politics out of it", but while the percentage of white people getting vaccinated is 10% higher than the black population, if you split the white people into democrat and republican, white democrats are vaccinated at a very high percentage. Black people is much lower than that. And white republicans are much lower than the black population. When you see a statistic that shows 60% of the country vaccinated, the breakdown is 80% democrat and 40% republican.

So, perhaps your question should really ask whether or not the ID requirement is suppressing Republicans from getting vaccinated.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:38 pm

ponyboy wrote:We’ve got to stop this political bickering if we ever hope to get anywhere in this country. There are legitimate reasons why people are reticent to get the vaccine. I was in the same boat. Got my second Moderna shot today.

I was a little tired the day after my 2nd shot but otherwise had no adverse reaction. Have neighbors who got the Moderna and are immuno-compromised and they felt "bad" for about a week after their 2nd shots. Hope it goes well for you.

My Christian Scientist friend who has taken only one flu shot in his entire life (when his kids were young and wife wanted him to do it) said he felt horrible after that flu shot and he decided to forego this vaccine. So far so good and he is just being respectful of others and wearing a mask more than he would like.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football