PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Speaking of the great Michael Bowen (fmr. SMU WR)...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Speaking of the great Michael Bowen (fmr. SMU WR)...

Postby Webmaster » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:57 pm

I thought you guys might like to know that we've recently heard from former SMU receiver Michael Bowen and will be doing a "Where are they now?" feature on him. Chatting with him on e-mail, I thought he had a great perspective on the post DP years. His sentiments seemed to me as just as relevant for our fans and players coming off a 0-12 season as they were in 1986. Enjoy.

"Those are very kind words. Thanks for the props. I can tell you that I had more fun and a much better experience on a 2-9 SMU team in 1989 than I had playing for a Top 20 team who finished 9-3 and won the Liberty Bowl. That win vs. UCONN I still replay on video to this day. What an accomplishment for a bunch of young men that season against all odds. One thing that stands out to me is that we never ever gave up. Every man on the team gave it their all every play every game. The bigger and better athletes just wore us down. Hell...if you recall we stood in there with everybody through the first quarter and half of the second quarter.

When I think of that team, the one thing that we had that the 1986 SMU team and the 1987 Georgia team did not have was an undying HEART! A never say die attitude. We really believed that we could somehow go up to South Bend and upset the #1 team in the country. Call us crazy, but we really believed we could win. That was an indescribable excitement. And to get knocked down each week and still come back hard the next was just plain FUN! Forget the score... we were having a blast. Young men playing football against all odds and playing because we loved the game!

Most of us always had a chip on our shoulder because all the schools we were playing snubbed us during recruiting. I can remember playing against guys in college who I played against in High School and kicked their [deleted] all over the field. For example, do you remember Barry Foster of Arkansas. Big Name big time RB. Well in High School, I out rushed him in our head to head meeting and for the entire season. I ended up the regular season as the 2nd leading RB in Dallas Metro area. He finished somewhere around 6 or 7. Many of the guys like Romo, Kiel, Gleiber, Bergfeld, Okeke, Collins, Hagan & Brabham all have similar stories.

It was just the purest football you could imagine. We played to win every game and when we did it was like winning the Super Bowl.... so damn sweet. The huge losses never really seemed to bother us once the sun came up on Sunday. I think it is a tribute to the type of coach and leader Forrest Gregg was and the type of kids that he recruited. Toughest bunch of over-achievers I have ever seen.

To sum it up my experience with the '89 & '90 teams was a very unique and intimate experience. I truly experienced a full range of emotions every Saturday we stepped on the field. The courage and the never say die attitude was always right there in front leading this team to Victory! I believe that every game we played, wether win or lose was a VICTORY! Damn I miss those guys!!!!!"
Last edited by Webmaster on Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:12 pm

That was a nice read. I've always admired that first group of players after the DP...they were all heart and courage. Bennett ought to get Michael Bowen to come talk to our players today. Bowen could give them some motivation and real words of wisdom about playing the game.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:49 pm

PK wrote:.... Bennett ought to get Michael Bowen to come talk to our players today. Bowen could give them some motivation and real words of wisdom about playing the game.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Here's a guy who gave his all on every play and loved playing for SMU for the pure joy of it. He might not be as high-profile as Eric Dickerson or Craig James or Forrest Gregg, but he sounds as inspirational as any former player could be. I hope he gets to Dallas for a game and has a chance to visit with the team. He serves as an inspiration to a lot of us.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby BUS » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:51 pm

I agree, get MB to speak. I remember back in 82 or 83 having Doak Walker come to practice and talk. Every TV station was there and his talk was simple. Hard Work, desire, Be a team.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Bo to Dallas!

Postby Bo 17 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:30 pm

I have been away for too long now. I am out here in AZ raising a family and working for the ESPN Radio affiliate. I coach my 7 year old son's football team and am looking forward to coaching my other son when he is 5. He is 17 months old now. Maybe there will be another Bowen wearing #17 for SMU someday!

Anyway, I am going to make it a point to get back to Dallas in the Fall. I am also looking into sending my oldest son to SMU football camp. We will see! I really miss Dallas and my SMU Mustangs. Thanks for all the kind words.

P.S. I hope ROMO does not see that I mispelled his name as Room. I will IM him in a few and give him the link. HAHAHAHAHA!
Bo 17
\"Come in Ro...This is Bo!\"
Bo 17
Recruit

Postby Webmaster » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:32 pm

No worries Bo, typo fixed.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Bo to Dallas!

Postby Corso » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:05 pm

Bo 17 wrote:I have been away for too long now. I am out here in AZ raising a family and working for the ESPN Radio affiliate. I coach my 7 year old son's football team and am looking forward to coaching my other son when he is 5. He is 17 months old now. Maybe there will be another Bowen wearing #17 for SMU someday!

Anyway, I am going to make it a point to get back to Dallas in the Fall. I am also looking into sending my oldest son to SMU football camp. We will see! ....

If he has the hands and the heart of his old man, we should offer Junior Bowen NOW for a spot in the class of .... 2012 or so?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyExpress » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:30 am

Let's hope the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ..... I'd love to see Bowen's son on one side, and C2 (Cunningham) on the other.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Return to Football