PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Athletic: College football breakout team candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Athletic: College football breakout team candidates

Postby FriscoPMG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:40 pm

https://theathletic.com/2787273/2021/08/25/college-football-breakout-team-candidates-can-texas-am-win-the-sec-can-boston-college-or-ucla-crash-the-top-25/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

SMU
Trend to break: SMU has not won a conference championship or finished ranked in the AP poll since 1984, before receiving the NCAA’s death penalty.

Breakout chances: The loss of quarterback Shane Buechele and the end-of-season 14-point defeat to East Carolina made it easy to forget about SMU heading into the offseason. Though Cincinnati is the clear favorite in the AAC, the Mustangs have the firepower to push the Bearcats and UCF if Oklahoma transfer Tanner Mordecai, Derek Green or four-star freshman Preston Stone emerges as a capable replacement for Buechele. Reggie Roberson, one of the nation’s most dynamic receivers, is back after missing much of last season with an injury, and the Mustangs have a deep pool of skill position players and all five starters back on the O-line to make the transition to a new quarterback easier.

Though the defense has a ways to go, new coordinator Jim Leavitt has proven capable of swift turnarounds before. Sonny Dykes has recruited as well as any coach in the G5, and that includes attracting a wave of Power 5 transfers. If Cincinnati slips up, SMU will be right in the thick of the race to take advantage.

BetMGM regular-season win total: 6.5
FriscoPMG
All-American

Re: The Athletic: College football breakout team candidates

Postby Dukie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Strange combo of breakout prediction and 6.5 win total, lol.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:10 am

Dukie wrote:Strange combo of breakout prediction and 6.5 win total, lol.

Recognition of a very tough road schedule this season
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:Strange combo of breakout prediction and 6.5 win total, lol.

Recognition of a very tough road schedule this season

Agreed, but look at what the "breakout" prediction is: conference championship and/or ranked at the end of the season. Neither of those things will be remotely possible at 7-5.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:24 am

I believe the win total is from Vegas not the author of the article.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I believe the win total is from Vegas not the author of the article.

Gotcha thanks. Weird thing to append right there, in that case.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:18 am

Maybe he's hinting that people should bet the Over.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am

Dukie wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I believe the win total is from Vegas not the author of the article.

It literally says "BetMGM regular-season win total". I don't know how much more clear it can be that the win total is from Vegas.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:13 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:
Dukie wrote:

It literally says "BetMGM regular-season win total". I don't know how much more clear it can be that the win total is from Vegas.

Cool comment! Really moves things forward. Have a great day.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Dukie wrote:
CJPONY16 wrote:
Dukie wrote:Gotcha thanks. Weird thing to append right there, in that case.

I apologize if I took away some of the precious time you spend posting condescending comments regarding COVID vaccinations. Seems you don't like it when the rolls reverse, or do you honestly believe your tone and rhetoric move those conversations forward?
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:33 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:
Dukie wrote:
CJPONY16 wrote:It literally says "BetMGM regular-season win total". I don't know how much more clear it can be that the win total is from Vegas.

I apologize if I took away some of the precious time you spend posting condescending comments regarding COVID vaccinations. Seems you don't like it when the rolls reverse, or do you honestly believe your tone and rhetoric move those conversations forward?

I will gladly own my error in conflating the line and the author's point. In fact, I did so *before* you jumped in.

Now in exchange, how about you go get all those reality-denying jackwagons vaccinated. Great trade.

And kudos on reversing the, um, rolls. (Sorry if that is condescending.)
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:27 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:You didn't actually own your error. You said it was weird the author chose to end with that. What's weird about ending a W/L prediction with the betting odds?

People should be allowed to make their own decisions without conceited jack***es like you pretending like you're better than them because they don't share the same opinions. My body my choice, unless you say so? Everyone has things going on in their life that influences them and you don't get to make their decisions for them, as much as you wish you could.

WOW. ZINGER. I typed too fast and spelled something incorrectly. You really got me with that one. I don't know how I will ever recover. I bet you're a ton of fun at parties. (I'm not actually sorry that was condescending)

I love that your tribe thinks liberals are the snowflakes. What an avalanche of triggered rage. Peace to you, seriously. Your comments have no emotional effect on me, other than a moment of amusement. :-)
Dukie
Heisman

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:43 pm

Dukie wrote:
CJPONY16 wrote:You didn't actually own your error. You said it was weird the author chose to end with that. What's weird about ending a W/L prediction with the betting odds?

People should be allowed to make their own decisions without conceited jack***es like you pretending like you're better than them because they don't share the same opinions. My body my choice, unless you say so? Everyone has things going on in their life that influences them and you don't get to make their decisions for them, as much as you wish you could.

WOW. ZINGER. I typed too fast and spelled something incorrectly. You really got me with that one. I don't know how I will ever recover. I bet you're a ton of fun at parties. (I'm not actually sorry that was condescending)

I love that your tribe thinks liberals are the snowflakes. What an avalanche of triggered rage. Peace to you, seriously. Your comments have no emotional effect on me, other than a moment of amusement. :-)

Weird. I don't recall calling you a snowflake. No surprise that even your sign off is arrogant. Peace.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:52 pm

So, to summarize the last few posts, SMU in contention for the AAC championship (I may have glossed over a few things).
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:01 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:So, to summarize the last few posts, SMU in contention for the AAC championship (I may have glossed over a few things).

:D
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football