PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC 12 Will Not Expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC 12 Will Not Expand

Postby mustangxc » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:31 pm

If the Big XII poaches Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF I agree that the MWC is a better option for SMU along with Houston than a backfilled AAC. We've already backfilled once with the additions of Tulsa, Tulane and East Carolina. Backfilling again would make us CUSA without two of the top program and at that point the MWC is the stronger conference. Mountain time makes it workable and the basketball tournament in Las Vegas is solid. The additions of SMU and Houston might help improve their tv contract going forward. Anyway, no sense in worrying about something we can't control at this point. We need to continue to recruit well and win big in football and basketball and we have been doing that better than at any point following the DP so we are in our strongest position yet in the realignment world.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustang1108 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:52 pm

It goes without saying that yes the Big XII would be my first choice mainly to have a shot at TCU and Baylor. If the AAC was poached schools like UCF, Cincy, and Memphis and we were on the outside looking I wouldn't hate the idea of trying to get into the MWC. Although the product on the field was never good, I first began to fall in love with college football in the early days for the WAC and going to games at the Cotton Bowl. The AAC has been great for us, but I have always wanted to see us have another shot against teams like Boise St, Colorado St, Wyoming, and Fresno St now that we are taking athletics seriously. We have come a long way in the last 20 years and I think the MWC would present some fun football.
mustang1108
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:54 pm

UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:13 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/think-big- ... 16120.html

And another Article. Somehow the guy seems to think that Tulane is in Texas. This would gut the MWC and the AAC. SDS, Boise, CSU from MWC and BYU Ind., and Cincy, USF, UCF and Houston/Tulane from AAC. The toaster leavings from both would be SMU, ECU, Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane probably, Temple, Navy, UNLV, Wyoming, Fresno, San Jose, AF. That would give you 12 teams and you could have a championship. Either Tulsa or SMU would be out west.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUstang » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Assuming that the Big 12 adds 4 schools. I would expect them to take BYU, BSU, UC, and UCF. If that happened, the AAC would probably stay at 9 and play 8 conference games per season, round robin.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 pm

losing top teams in the AAC would (IMO) destroy the conference. Hence, we should be totally hard-nosed and refuse to let any team leaving not fulfill their complete contractual obligation prior to exiting.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:51 pm

EastStang wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/think-big-here-is-one-way-to-save-the-big-12-203016120.html

And another Article. Somehow the guy seems to think that Tulane is in Texas. This would gut the MWC and the AAC. SDS, Boise, CSU from MWC and BYU Ind., and Cincy, USF, UCF and Houston/Tulane from AAC. The toaster leavings from both would be SMU, ECU, Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane probably, Temple, Navy, UNLV, Wyoming, Fresno, San Jose, AF. That would give you 12 teams and you could have a championship. Either Tulsa or SMU would be out west.

The writer has a good idea in terms of expanding to 16 and crushing it's competition (the AAC & MWC) in the process, but did Bowlsby's emotional reaction create a huge problem? As the writer notes:
The Big 12 potentially cut out a media partner when commissioner Bob Bowlsby put ESPN on blast in a letter that went public for allegedly conspiring to “harm” the league by helping lure Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. While ESPN denies this, the biggest fallout could be that this complicates the new Big 12 finding multiple bidders to split up its rights. It's hard to imagine ESPN being one of those bidders.

Time will tell and it will be fun speculating for the next couple of years until the dust settles. Let's just hope SMU can put together Top 25 caliber seasons in both football and men's bball and generate more fan interest than we've had in the post death penalty era. With the exception of the Larry Brown years and the one CUSA Championship game we played in, it's been tough being a Mustang fan but this season has me as optimistic as I've been in years.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:04 am

All of those articles are written from a Big 12 perspective, and written with the mistaken assumption that the TV contract the Big 12 has will remain viable after UT and OU depart.
JasonB

Postby SMUstang » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:47 am

I think the next Big XII TV contract will be smaller. But depending on who they add and when, they will likely have a bigger contract than the American has.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:49 am

jason- totally agree. IMO any new TV contract with the little8 will be less than half the current agreement. Plus any AAC school would be foolish to move realizing that they would likely get very little more in revenue by moving (under a new contract). No AAC team will enhance the revenue stream of the little8. SMU and cougar high are in big media markets but the other members not so much.
I really believe a merger of the two conferences would be best but doubt if that will happen. The AAC could dump little Tulsa and perhaps Temple or Tulane to help even out the numbers.
I suspect that BYU is really a non-starter and without them Boise doesn't make much sense.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:37 am

SMUstang wrote:I think the next Big XII TV contract will be smaller. But depending on who they add and when, they will likely have a bigger contract than the American has.

No question the next TV/media deal for the Big XII will be significantly reduced, but a strategy of hurting the AAC and MWC, if they can pull it off, would mean their next deal would be significantly better than anything the AAC might get.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football