PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Spring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Spring

Postby 50's PONY » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:56 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 SMU Preview | 2003 SMU season

2004 Spring Lookahead
Spring Practice Starts: March 18 Spring Game: April 17
What needs working on ... Finding a way to put the biscuit in the basket. The Mustangs have to establish some consistency in the passing game finishing last in the nation in passing and painfully last in scoring offense averaging a stunning 11.17 points per game. The team needs to find something that works to start putting points on the board.
The most important position to watch is ... Running back. Keylon Kincade was all the offense had going for it last year rushing for 1,280 yards and four touchdowns. The second leading rusher was a quarterback, and the third was big freshman Johnnie Fitzgerald. Considering the passing game might not become Texas Tech's yet, someone has to rise up and run the ball.
Spring attitude... The only way to get over a bad streak is to win, but there are still several months to go before SMU gets a chance to try and get a victory again. This spring, the team needs to keep working on improving from week to week. As Tulsa proved last year, it's possible to become a success in the league in a hurry, so the Mustangs have to hope that hard work and doing the little things right will pay off.

2004 Recruiting Class
Star of the Class
Vincent Chase TE 6-5 245 Irving, Tx
No. 25 overall prospect according to the Dallas Morning News Area Top-100 and No. 75 overall in State Top-100… Also tabbed the state’s No. 1 tight end by the DMN… Named to The Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Area Top 75 ... An All-State, All-District and All-Area selection… An Academic All-District honoree… Chose SMU over offers from Florida, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Colorado State, Syracuse, Kansas State, Kansas, TCU, Missouri and Iowa State

Instant Impact Players
Foy Munlin RB 5-11 236 Dallas (Kimball/Texas Tech), Al
Transfer from Texas Tech... Sat out 2003 and has one season of eligibility remaining. In 2002, he ranked second on the team in rushing with 254 yards on 54 carries... Had a long gain of 31 yards... Scored three touchdowns... Had a season-high 78 yards versus SMU... Had two scores on just four carries against Baylor... Rushed for a TD against Oklahoma State. In 2001, he had a reception for nine yards and two rushes against SFA... Caught one pass at OSU for a 16-yard touchdown... The score was the first of his career... Five rushes for 17 yards at Baylor... Opened season with eight yards on five carries against New Mexico.

Jerad Romo QB 6-2 210 Tehachapi (Antelope Valley JC), Ca
Comes to SMU from Antelope Valley Junior College… Completed 125 of 206 pass attempts for 1,731 yards, 10 touchdowns and just two interceptions as a sophomore in 2003… Had a quarterback efficiency rating of 145.34 in leading AVC to a 5-5 record… As a senior at Tehachapi (Calif.) High School in 2002, he led the Warriors to a 10-3 mark and a South Sequoia League championship… Behind his play, the high-powered offense scored a school-record 33.3 points per game… Named a first-team All-SSL selection.

Rest of the Class
Charles Akinyemi DB 5-8 195 Sugar. (Marine MA/Air Force), Tx
Cortley Blackmon DB 5-10 175 Bay City, Tx
Bobby Chase WR 6-4 210 Irving (Blinn JC), Tx
Tony Eckert QB 6-3 195 Lumberton (Tyler JC), Tx
Kyle Griffin DE 6-4 225 Colleyville (Colleyville Heritage), Tx
Tony Hawkins WR 6-1 190 Longview (Pine Tree), Tx
David Haynes WR 5-9 175 McGregor, Tx
Jessie Henderson RB 5-8 165 Paris, Tx
LaCori Johnson DB 5-9 175 Atlanta, Tx
Jonathan Lindley DB 6-0 180 Sulphur Springs, Tx
Sean Lobo OL 6-3 285 Arlington (Sam Houston), Tx
Devin Lowery WR 5-11 180 Grand Prairie, Tx
DeMyron Martin RB 6-1 195 Allen, Tx
Wilton McCray DB 6-1 185 LaMarque, Tx
Andrew McKinney RB 6-3 230 Decatur, Tx
Dominic Pryor DE 6-4 240 Red Oak, Tx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click for College Football News.com advertising and direct e-mail info to 50 million+ fans
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Corso » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:08 pm

Who wrote that? What publication/site did it come from?

Let's just hope Munlin ends his career having posted his longest career run FOR the Mustangs, not AGAINST us. I'm really eager to see that guy run.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyExpress » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:28 am

Now I know I only made it down for one game last year, but based on what I saw and what I read on this board, it seems to me that priorities 1 and 1-A should be building a strong, cohesive offensive line and generating a pass rush.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:20 am

Top priorities are offense, offense, offense.

While we do need defensive improvements we did have some good defensive games, like vs. Fresno. The offense could not move the ball even against some of the worst defenses in the country last year. So I agree that need for improvement starts with the offensive line, then QB. We have a lot of talent, or so it seems, at RB. So replacing KK SHOULD not be the problem.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:08 am

The O Line HAS to be better. I think we found a QB in the last 4 games. Will he redshirt or play is anyones question.

O-line could not protect or the play calling was so simple the other team had us figured out.

Second need, D-line push. That comes with increase in size. 300 pound DT's and 250 to 275 pound D'ends. We are getting better. Look for a surprise or two.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:55 pm

After tonight's fiasco at Moody, I can't tell you how ready I am for spring practice to begin. I'm one of the most optimistic SMU fans I know, but even I desperately need some glimmer of hope right now. How long will we have to wait before we are no longer the worst team in our conference in the two most visible sports? Well, 2nd worst in bball. Thank goodness San Jose doesn't get another shot at us in the tourney!
Charleston Pony

Re:

Postby SMUguy » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:58 am

Charleston Pony wrote:After tonight's fiasco at Moody, I can't tell you how ready I am for spring practice to begin. I'm one of the most optimistic SMU fans I know, but even I desperately need some glimmer of hope right now. How long will we have to wait before we are no longer the worst team in our conference in the two most visible sports? Well, 2nd worst in bball. Thank goodness San Jose doesn't get another shot at us in the tourney!

If they were on sale, I'd camp out overnight for tickets to the Red/Blue scrimmage after watching tonight's basketball game.
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:53 pm

:?:
Does anyone know, or can someone find out, if there will be a published media guide for Spring Practice different than what we will see on line?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:19 pm

there is always a written fall media guide and spring pospectus you can get from the SMU Sports Information Director. If you are in Dallas you can just go into the office at Moody or request a copy in the mail. They charge for the Fall media guide but I'm not sure about the spring prospectus. The information in the fall media guide is basically identical to that on the internet except there maybe some additional historical stats. The spring prosoectus may have some additional analysis on each position battle that I'm not sure gets on the internet or not. The spring prospectus usually isn't out this early. For more info call the SIDs office and they'd be glad to help you-get this information out to the media and interested fans are the reason they exist.
Stallion

Postby Hoss » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:33 am

The spring prospectus, barring a major change in budgets, will be a Xeroxed set of pages. It will include reduced versions of the bios you see about the players and coaches, and last year's stats, and a list of the 2004 recruits. Not much to it, at least in years past.

Anyone know the dates for Spring Ball yet?
Hoss
All-American

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:13 pm

Hopefully they can publish a PDF version of the spring prospectus for easy download.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:54 pm

I just want to see us come out of spring ball with an offense that looks like it might be able to score some points.

We can only get better on offense...right?

Who will be next year's big offensive contributors?
Charleston Pony

Re:

Postby Sasser Rules » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:06 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I just want to see us come out of spring ball with an offense that looks like it might be able to score some points.

We can only get better on offense...right?

Who will be next year's big offensive contributors?

I hear that we won't even recognize next year's offense. A lot of the same players will be out there, but almost all of them will have different roles. I hear this will be a pass-first offense that's designed to spread defenses out, get them back off the line of scrimmage and then let the running backs thrive against reduced defensive fronts.

As for big offensive contributors:
• Whichever quarterback is playing will be the biggest contributor
• Foy Munlin/Richuel Massey
• Brad Kieschnick anchoring a new-look offensive line
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Return to Football