PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

COVID-19 and the 2021 Season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

COVID-19 and the 2021 Season

Postby SMUstang » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:04 am

Will the Delta Variant affect this season too? Will cancelled games be forfeits?
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: COVID-19 and the 2021 Season

Postby malonish » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:27 pm

High high majority of our team is vaccinated so not on our side. Don't let the possibility that we forfeit from an outbreak take up any space in your mind. Pony up!
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:08 am

Vaccinated are getting it left and right also - but it is much less deadly now so mist have figured out we just have to do the best we can and live with it - if u get it, you’ll get over it and have the best vaccine available - the human body.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:18 am

and yet the overwhelming majority of those requiring hospitalization are the unvaccinated. Testimonial after testimonial from people on their death beds, wishing they had gotten the shot. Mrs CP now has a former teacher friend in the ICU after deciding she didn't need to be vaccinated
Charleston Pony

Postby malonish » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:58 am

gostangs wrote:Vaccinated are getting it left and right also - but it is much less deadly now so mist have figured out we just have to do the best we can and live with it - if u get it, you’ll get over it and have the best vaccine available - the human body.

That is both extremely false and extremely dangerous. Get off the very specific grifter channels.

Facts:
- You can't stop the virus from getting into your lungs even with a vaccine. That doesn't mean to turn into a viral factory through infection. Vaccinated folks have the tools to keep that from happening at at least 60% rate.
- On the off occasion that an infection takes place and the virus replicates, a vaccinated person has less time infected so they spread less virus around. Vaccine reduces both the R-naught and lethality of the disease which means people will die less when we all get vaccinated.
- "The best vaccine available - the human body" all you have to do is look at who is filling the hospitals at worse rates than last year to know that's an objectively dumb statement. The news anchors that sold it to you are literally vaccinated.
- This year 1500 vaccinated have died. 1000 people die a day. Guess who the majority are.

Get vaccinated.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:49 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:and yet the overwhelming majority of those requiring hospitalization are the unvaccinated. Testimonial after testimonial from people on their death beds, wishing they had gotten the shot. Mrs CP now has a former teacher friend in the ICU after deciding she didn't need to be vaccinated

Not vaccinated, got delta, just got a bad cold. Hospitalizations are still rare. Now according to Bloomberg via Israeli study that shows immunity is stronger via natural infection than the vaccine. Israel is also showing high rates of infection and hospitalization for those who got the shot. CDC in early August had to admit that they're having to watch it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:27 pm

malonish wrote:
gostangs wrote:Vaccinated are getting it left and right also - but it is much less deadly now so mist have figured out we just have to do the best we can and live with it - if u get it, you’ll get over it and have the best vaccine available - the human body.

That is both extremely false and extremely dangerous. Get off the very specific grifter channels.

Facts:
- You can't stop the virus from getting into your lungs even with a vaccine. That doesn't mean to turn into a viral factory through infection. Vaccinated folks have the tools to keep that from happening at at least 60% rate.
- On the off occasion that an infection takes place and the virus replicates, a vaccinated person has less time infected so they spread less virus around. Vaccine reduces both the R-naught and lethality of the disease which means people will die less when we all get vaccinated.
- "The best vaccine available - the human body" all you have to do is look at who is filling the hospitals at worse rates than last year to know that's an objectively dumb statement. The news anchors that sold it to you are literally vaccinated.
- This year 1500 vaccinated have died. 1000 people die a day. Guess who the majority are.

Get vaccinated.

Its not false at all - i said they are getting it left and right - they are. I said it is less deadly now - it is without a doubt statistically less deadly. That information is available all over from reputable sources - i don't listen to talking heads of either persuasion - almost everyone has some agenda - even if it is just to feel superior when they are not.

I choose not to get vaccinated at this time. I believe it is rushed, and may very well cause adverse reactions over time, which has happened with some other vaccines. I have taken many vaccines that have been proven safe over a long period of time. Glad you have taken it and feel great about it.
gostangs

Postby SMUstang » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:43 pm

I am on the fence. We have had the first shot and are scheduled to get the second one on 9/11. Our doctors have advised us to get the vaccination but our son and several friends say we shouldn't. At this point I am leaning toward getting the second shot, but my wife is leaning the other way. I don't want to start a domestic dispute but how can I avoid it?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:20 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:and yet the overwhelming majority of those requiring hospitalization are the unvaccinated. Testimonial after testimonial from people on their death beds, wishing they had gotten the shot. Mrs CP now has a former teacher friend in the ICU after deciding she didn't need to be vaccinated

Not vaccinated, got delta, just got a bad cold. Hospitalizations are still rare. Now according to Bloomberg via Israeli study that shows immunity is stronger via natural infection than the vaccine. Israel is also showing high rates of infection and hospitalization for those who got the shot. CDC in early August had to admit that they're having to watch it.

Hospitalizations are not rare. The hospitalization rate of Delta is twice that of Alpha.

The Israeli study investigated one aspect of the immune response - antibodies. As anticipated, getting sick gives you protection, as does the vaccine. Just as it would with any other virus. Your other statement about Israel is absolutely inaccurate. Israel has a very, very high percentage of people who got vaccinated; almost everyone unvaccinated is too young for the vaccine. The percentage chance of hospitalization is much higher with the unvaccinated than with the vaccinated. In Israel the high percentage of people hospitalized being vaccinated is simply because almost everyone in the adult population is vaccinated. If you look at their total hospitalization numbers, it is way, way lower than what it was in their peak. So overall hospitalization numbers are significantly lower in this peak.

In the US and most other countries, over 90% of the hospitalized cases are unvaccinated people.

Just because you had a mild case doesn't mean it was a good decision.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:24 pm

SMUstang wrote:I am on the fence. We have had the first shot and are scheduled to get the second one on 9/11. Our doctors have advised us to get the vaccination but our son and several friends say we shouldn't. At this point I am leaning toward getting the second shot, but my wife is leaning the other way. I don't want to start a domestic dispute but how can I avoid it?

First off I do believe in trusting your doctor because if you don't then you need to get a new one.

Secondly, for your own thoughts, how old are you? Do you have any comorbidities/health risks especially around the heart and respiratory systems?If you are above 45 and/or have risk factors then in my opinion yes. If not then in my personal opinion, it's up to you. Natural immunity is better and last longer than the vaccine. However doesn't do you much good if you die or have to be severely hospitalized.

My wife is getting it and I already got delta so we get to do our own little experiment until research shows that my immunity is worn down (similarly to the vaccine which will be rolling out boosters after 5 months of receiving the 2nd shot).
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:32 am

Thanks, I'm definitely in the above 65 category. My wife is a life long diabetic and has had chemotherapy. I have done a lot of research and think that taking the vaccine is the right thing to do for us. But I will let her make that decision for herself. I fear that if she is infected it would be fatal. I have kept her quarantined but we need more freedom.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:48 am

SMUstang wrote:Thanks, I'm definitely in the above 65 category. My wife is a life long diabetic and has had chemotherapy. I have done a lot of research and think that taking the vaccine is the right thing to do for us. But I will let her make that decision for herself. I fear that if she is infected it would be fatal. I have kept her quarantined but we need more freedom.

My wife is a 2-time survivor of cancer. cervical/uterine and thyroid. I had 3rd degree heart blockage from Lyme disease. Get the shot. these other issued have no bearing on the efficiencies of the covid 19 vaccine. Wife and I walk around with mask but we are going to restaurants, traveling, shopping. very comfortable and confident we are better off with the shot. Please get the shot. You can see on the news, not being able to breath is a painful death. FYI had a retired co-worker, anti this and that. Died in 48 hours. Do it before its too late.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:37 pm

Thank you Bubba Pony. I have decided to take the shot for myself. But I fear that our son has more influence over my wife than I do. He is convinced that there is a conspiracy going on. I tend to blame social media for the division in our country. But I would rather be a peace maker than a divider.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:09 pm

SMUstang wrote:Thank you Bubba Pony. I have decided to take the shot for myself. But I fear that our son has more influence over my wife than I do. He is convinced that there is a conspiracy going on. I tend to blame social media for the division in our country. But I would rather be a peace maker than a divider.

Ask your son to do a risk assessment.

If he is correct about the conspiracy theory, and she doesn't take a shot, no problem.
If he is correct about the conspiracy theory, and she does get a shot, she might get a mild sickness.
If he is incorrect about the conspiracy theory, and she gets a shot, she might get a mild sickness.
If he is incorrect about the conspiracy theory, and she doesn't get a shot, she might die.

Not much of a choice, is there?
JasonB

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:12 pm

SMUstang wrote:Thanks, I'm definitely in the above 65 category. My wife is a life long diabetic and has had chemotherapy. I have done a lot of research and think that taking the vaccine is the right thing to do for us. But I will let her make that decision for herself. I fear that if she is infected it would be fatal. I have kept her quarantined but we need more freedom.

If your wife has underlying conditions (diabetic) you should both get vaccinated. That changes the risk assessment completely. Your son will get over it. And this is from someone who is not a fan of the Vax. But her risk to it trumps everything else.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football