PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Exclusive video: Sonny Dykes on game week

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Exclusive video: Sonny Dykes on game week

Postby PonyPride » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:20 pm

VIDEO: SMU football head coach Sonny Dykes met the media Sunday as the Mustangs head in to the final week of preparation before their season opener against Abilene Christian, discussing the depth chart, how he and his staff plan to manage minutes and how much of the playbook will appear in the season opener.

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Exclusive video: Sonny Dykes on game week

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:00 pm

That comment that "a bunch" of positions are unresolved has to be just for public consumption. Got to assume he already knows who's who at most positions.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:04 pm

Open spots:
- QB (but not really)
- WR - Does Kerley win a starting spot?
- LT
- DT and DE are deep and I bet the healthiest/most in form players start
- MLB - I bet they start Hailey and Delano with Moore and ISM coming in as backup, but I bet there are a bunch of ORs on the depth chart.
- Boundary - Coxe versus Wiley
- Field LB - Phillips vs Burns
- CB - Crossley/Rogers/Johnson/Westfall I bet is up in the air.
- S - I think Denbow starts at one, but 13 and 18 are battling for the other spot and Massey/NWO are going to take over as the season goes along.
- P - I bet 91 and 93 are still battling.

So, actually, I think there are a ton of spots up for grabs still. But I also think it is because we have a bunch of good players. Safety and Punter are the only two spots that are open just because we don't have a good player there.
JasonB

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:35 pm

Just curious, JasonB, but do we have the right personnel at NT for a 3-4? Seems our guys may be a little small for what you normally want at that position.

From what Hailey said in his interview, sounds like Coxe wins the boundary spot.

Don’t forget Bryce McMorris at CB. Been getting rave reviews in spring and fall.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby CJPONY16 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:27 am

PNW_Stang wrote:Just curious, JasonB, but do we have the right personnel at NT for a 3-4? Seems our guys may be a little small for what you normally want at that position.

From what Hailey said in his interview, sounds like Coxe wins the boundary spot.

Don’t forget Bryce McMorris at CB. Been getting rave reviews in spring and fall.

Mike Williams was a multi-year starter at Stanford at the NT position in the same scheme were now running. He should be just fine as our starter. Will Jones and Terrance Newman have also been decent there and while they're not your prototypical NT, they have the required mass to play that spot.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:37 am

I don't think that many spots are up for grabs.
Punter, I guess.
Inside linebacker. Slade-Matautia will push Moore for one of the inside spots right away.
Not sure about the OLBs.
Not sure what to make of the safety spots. Here's hoping Nwokobia takes over sooner rather than later.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:03 am

CJPONY16 wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:Just curious, JasonB, but do we have the right personnel at NT for a 3-4? Seems our guys may be a little small for what you normally want at that position.

Mike Williams was a multi-year starter at Stanford at the NT position in the same scheme were now running. He should be just fine as our starter. Will Jones and Terrance Newman have also been decent there and while they're not your prototypical NT, they have the required mass to play that spot.

Our OL always mention Elijah Chatman as being one of the toughest DTs we have
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:02 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:

I don't think we have any problems at NT. Williams will be much more confortable in this scheme where he is asked to take on blockers rather than get through.

I think Coxe won Boundary as well. Didn't forget about McMorris, he is great, just don't think he is in the starting mix yet.
JasonB

Return to Football