PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is SMU about to be left behind once again?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is SMU about to be left behind once again?

Postby PonyTime » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:04 am

Water Pony wrote:Lastly, we should challenge ourselves with a more challenging OOC schedule and be the first call-up in the future.

Absolutely - it's about scheduling the right teams that will help us out.

Based on the article you posted about USF and what the B12 was looking at - Houston benefited greatly from its Home and Home series with OU, Texas Tech, Lou and UCLA when it comes to TV audience and attendance.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:17 am

My hope and prayer is that Sonny is talking to Ricky and telling him to get better competition on the schedule. I think someone, whoever it is, way too focused on getting to the AAC championship and getting better looking records. In the age of technology, it only takes 5 seconds to see our schedule. While LA Tech is a decent school, only TCU on the schedule has any weight to the P4 1/2.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:24 am

La Tech is a solid G5 football program and has been a giant killer...they almost beat Mississippi State in Starkville to open their season. I'd much rather play regional teams like that than FCS schools, but yes...the more P5 teams we can schedule the better
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:My hope and prayer is that Sonny is talking to Ricky and telling him to get better competition on the schedule. I think someone, whoever it is, way too focused on getting to the AAC championship and getting better looking records. In the age of technology, it only takes 5 seconds to see our schedule. While LA Tech is a decent school, only TCU on the schedule has any weight to the P4 1/2.

And our last home game vs. TCU only drew 24k, similar to what we see with UNT. UH averaged about 28k (which I think is inflated as the last couple of games I saw down there looked nowhere like 24k - they seem to be masters at bumping the attendance numbers - perhaps all of those commuter students who decide not to commute to the game are counted somehow)

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 am

Yes, SMU was left behind again and the majority of people don't care. In fact, they expected it. Thanks Turner.
MV pony
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:48 am

PonyTime wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:My hope and prayer is that Sonny is talking to Ricky and telling him to get better competition on the schedule. I think someone, whoever it is, way too focused on getting to the AAC championship and getting better looking records. In the age of technology, it only takes 5 seconds to see our schedule. While LA Tech is a decent school, only TCU on the schedule has any weight to the P4 1/2.

And our last home game vs. TCU only drew 24k, similar to what we see with UNT. UH averaged about 28k (which I think is inflated as the last couple of games I saw down there looked nowhere like 24k - they seem to be masters at bumping the attendance numbers - perhaps all of those commuter students who decide not to commute to the game are counted somehow)

Hasn't every home game with TCU been under horrible conditions. I felt like the last good conditions game was thensold out crowd in 2010. Let me know if I'm wrong but if right then I don't think it's fair to judge that number.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 am

We do have Maryland on the schedule next year. They are a lower tier B1G team. Perhaps we can pull off an upset there and beat Tua's little brother. They beat WVU last weekend. So, anything we can do to shrink the image of the Big XII by beating teams they can't beat and beating Big XII teams will help our cause.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am

EastStang wrote:We do have Maryland on the schedule next year. They are a lower tier B1G team. Perhaps we can pull off an upset there and beat Tua's little brother. They beat WVU last weekend. So, anything we can do to shrink the image of the Big XII by beating teams they can't beat and beating Big XII teams will help our cause.

Like it. Could we schedule Nebraska, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc.? West Coast options, e.g. Arizona, Stanford, Oregon State, etc.?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:45 am

Water Pony wrote:
EastStang wrote:We do have Maryland on the schedule next year. They are a lower tier B1G team. Perhaps we can pull off an upset there and beat Tua's little brother. They beat WVU last weekend. So, anything we can do to shrink the image of the Big XII by beating teams they can't beat and beating Big XII teams will help our cause.

Like it. Could we schedule Nebraska, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc.? West Coast options, e.g. Arizona, Stanford, Oregon State, etc.?

Good plan to schedule "lower level" P5 teams like many of those mentioned. Those are the games SMU can win although we might have to give them 2 for 1 home games if their attendance is far greater than ours. SMU could at least get nice checks for playing schools like Nebraska, Tennessee and South Carolina on the road. Assuming SMU can field a Top 25 caliber team, it will be tough to get games with other P5 Tope 25 programs as they will fear an "upset" loss
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:53 pm

If Houston is going to be considered a P5 team now, probably best that we start arranging for a home and home agreement.

Benefits of playing them are far greater than playing UNT - and it would not surprise me to see them compete for B12 titles in that watered down conference.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football