PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is SMU about to be left behind once again?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is SMU about to be left behind once again?

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:45 am

JasonB wrote:I'm hearing it is done. Will be announced by Friday, start playing in 2023.

IIRC the exit time to leave the AAC is 27 (or possibly 23) months. Either way that would preclude those teams playing in the little8 before the 2024 season. I hope Aresco will be hard nosed and in no way let them leave earlier than the conference rules. No need to play nice.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:51 am

redpony wrote:
JasonB wrote:I'm hearing it is done. Will be announced by Friday, start playing in 2023.

IIRC the exit time to leave the AAC is 27 (or possibly 23) months. Either way that would preclude those teams playing in the little8 before the 2024 season. I hope Aresco will be hard nosed and in no way let them leave earlier than the conference rules. No need to play nice.

We might be able to enforce "departure" penalties, but if the money is there, any departing schools will leave asap as it will not be pleasant for them as lame duck conference mates. I just want our teams to be strong enough to make their final seasons as AAC members really miserable.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
We might be able to enforce "departure" penalties, but if the money is there, any departing schools will leave asap as it will not be pleasant for them as lame duck conference mates. I just want our teams to be strong enough to make their final seasons as AAC members really miserable.

So it is up to Aresco to make sure the 'early departure' is so large most schools won't be able to afford it. of course cougar high has Fertitta and he will pay whatever to get them out early.
Nice that cougar high has rich people who will spend to support their program while we have rich people,period ( refer to the bball program and not so much the fball program).
redpony

Postby fan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:30 pm

Wouldn't go scorched earth quite yet. Looks like there is still some hope.

Here's a link to some decently connected Baylor guys- tidbits at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBiaVjQwe0
fan
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Summary: When Texas and OU leave, the plan is for the B12 to add four more to go to a sixteen-team league. SMU is a candidate for that next four.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Comments made by Aresco were that he will not enforce the rules but will negotiate with the schools that are leaving. Wow! talk about selling out the conference. Obviously he has another job lined up. He needs to hold those schools to their 27 mo. exit. Probably only cougar high has enough to pay the price (astronomical- it should be) to leave early.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:13 pm

With what Penny is doing with Memphis hoops in addition to an already competitive football team, Memphis has to be at the top of any list for any eastern expansion but it becomes critically important for SMU to win and win big at both football and bball AND to fill Ford and Moody in the process if SMU wants to be considered in any expansion opposite Memphis. If BYU joins, I would think Boise State would be a stronger candidate than SMU at the moment and would align as a "travel partner" for BYU. That would leave a 14 team "Big 12" (just to keep the long running misnomer in place) looking like this:

West: Tex Tech, Baylor, TCU, Okie St, BYU, Houston, Boise St
East: Kansas, K State, Iowa St, Memphis, Cincy, WVU, UCF

I would think Baylor, TCU and even Houston would try to keep SMU from joining. Much like how SMU dominated the SWC in the Pony Express era, the new NIL rules might allow SMU to become a force in recruiting and become very competitive so these schools might do everything they can to hold SMU down. The challenge is to compete for AAC titles every year and put Top 25 caliber teams on the field/court so SMU can't be ignored if/when any future expansion is discussed.
Charleston Pony

Postby 35straight » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:29 pm

So it looks like it’s time to start changing the common denominators. It’s our school, it’s a job for them. Regardless if he built himself a shrine in the middle of campus.
35straight
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:07 am

ponyboy wrote:Summary: When Texas and OU leave, the plan is for the B12 to add four more to go to a sixteen-team league. SMU is a candidate for that next four.

Not unless there's political power. Our stadium is nowhere near full and Boise St, App St and others can actually fill their stadiuma. We not only have to be successful on the field but build a ground game to get more butts in the stands. While ACU is a downer of a game, our opening game is our best attended game outside of family weekend and homecoming for the first half. The school really needs to find way to get people in.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:26 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Summary: When Texas and OU leave, the plan is for the B12 to add four more to go to a sixteen-team league. SMU is a candidate for that next four.

Not unless there's political power. Our stadium is nowhere near full and Boise St, App St and others can actually fill their stadiums. We not only have to be successful on the field but build a ground game to get more butts in the stands. While ACU is a downer of a game, our opening game is our best attended game outside of family weekend and homecoming for the first half. The school really needs to find way to get people in.

So much for filling the stadium for that 1st game of the season. It's too bad that what looks like a pretty talented football team has so few people interested in watching them live
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:07 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Not unless there's political power. Our stadium is nowhere near full and Boise St, App St and others can actually fill their stadiums. We not only have to be successful on the field but build a ground game to get more butts in the stands. While ACU is a downer of a game, our opening game is our best attended game outside of family weekend and homecoming for the first half. The school really needs to find way to get people in.

So much for filling the stadium for that 1st game of the season. It's too bad that what looks like a pretty talented football team has so few people interested in watching them live

I completely agree. It really feels like it's one our best team since the PE. It's sad but we just don't have the alum base since so many come from California and move back. No matter how many Ds we put on there, Dallas won't show up. I will say playing ACU, a neutral fan would not be interested.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CBpony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:51 am

We need to start handing out free tickets or something. Or have an onfield concert after one of these late night games. Free nachos. Bears in cages
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:00 am

CBpony wrote:We need to start handing out free tickets or something. Or have an onfield concert after one of these late night games. Free nachos. Bears in cages

There was some case study that people who get free tickets are less likely to attend because there's no intrinsic value in some free.

I think SMU has to network groups better and get marketing gurus to figure out how does one get fans. Surely there's a couple of case studies around that can help illuminate why fans attend. My main assumption is in quality of schedule and performance on it. If I remember TCU pre big 12 was always scheduling a tough schedule and winning them.

It's great we get ranked and/or votes but we have to beat the big boys to really get skins on the wall.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 pm

I've been advocating an "early Dallas Cowboys" approach to marketing games like ACU, i.e., let Dad (or Mom) bring 2-3 kids free with each paid adult and make the game day experience fun for kids. Could distribute something to DISD schools to advertise including how to get there via DART, what to do before games, etc... SMU catered to Methodist Youth Groups back in my day (don't know if they still do that). As the product on the field and court improves, we really need to work on putting more butts in seats and making it affordable for parents of sports minded kids who might be curious about what's going on at SMU.
Charleston Pony

Postby jpe747 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 pm

I'm 74 years old with bad knees. This is the first year in many I can't go to games because I have a hard time getting from the parking garage to the stadium. (Had a awful time last year and I am worse this year). I told the ticket office about my problem but they had no solutions. I feel terrible about not being at Ford and maybe only one or two people have that problem so it might not be worth solving.
Also, we use to have special events with schools sending kids to SMU games as rewards for good work or good behavior. We also had something like a Methodist day for Methodist youth groups. Or we could have just any church group (non denominational, etc.) adult or youth for say $2.00 each on 'Church day' with special band concert from the Mustang Band after game. Or, Mesquite Day or Garland Day, Hyland Park Day, East Texas Day, etc. with added frills.
I hope we can think of good ideas and fill the stadium. However, winning championships would help too.
jpe747
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football