PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dale Hansen

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dale Hansen

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:01 pm

Screw him. Glad he’s finally done. See y’all in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Re: Dale Hansen

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:48 pm

Dale paid college players.

He got the governor involved.

He kept paying players through arrogance and multiple probations.

He paid players using SMU letterhead.

Oh wait, that was SMU and their rotten boosters.

Yes, I have always known the DP was excessive and the Ponies were the easy 'example' to make by the NCAA, but ANY decent reporter in a huge or small city would have run with the story.

You may not like him for his honesty, his politics, his pompousness, his loud mouth. But he's still a legend, and it's the end of an era.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Dale paid college players.

He got the governor involved.

He kept paying players through arrogance and multiple probations.

He paid players using SMU letterhead.

Oh wait, that was SMU and their rotten boosters.

Yes, I have always known the DP was excessive and the Ponies were the easy 'example' to make by the NCAA, but ANY decent reporter in a huge or small city would have run with the story.

You may not like him for his honesty, his politics, his pompousness, his loud mouth. But he's still a legend, and it's the end of an era.

I don't share your opinion on this one, SmooBoy, and it has nothing to do with his breaking open the story about SMU football. He is a bully, sadly a drunk, and his arrogance befits a fool.

Ask colleagues about him...Iola Johnson for instance.

He is a pitiable man.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 pm

I have friends that know him personally, p81, that are on both sides of who he really is, so cannot speak to him off air. Some say he's had major troubles he's overcome and they rally around that, others say he's never learned from his mistakes. So not denying your opinion at all.

Just so tired of the narrative that Dale caused the 25-year Death Penalty.

President Shields, Gov Clements, slimy boosters, and University Park-privileged arrogance are to blame. Nothing more, nothing less.
SmooBoy

Postby ponyboy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 pm

I cannot believe it is 2021 and I’m reading about Dale Hansen. What happened?
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:11 am

How many have actually sat down and had a conversation with him. I have. He is a pompous [deleted].
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:51 am

mrydel wrote:How many have actually sat down and had a conversation with him. I have. He is a pompous [deleted].

No way! We agree on something! :D

Of course I would add a whole bunch of other words to describe him that would not be appropriate for this message board.

If he's gone then hallelujah!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:46 am

I think the issue many PonyFans (certainly I for one) is Hansen's hypocracy. He knew practically every program in the country was bending the rules. He took advantage of a disgruntled former player struggling with addiction, and threw SMU under the bus to make his career.

...And he's a pompous jack@ss.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:28 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:I think the issue many PonyFans (certainly I for one) is Hansen's hypocracy. He knew practically every program in the country was bending the rules. He took advantage of a disgruntled former player struggling with addiction, and threw SMU under the bus to make his career.

...And he's a pompous jack@ss.

His hypocrisy and that of the Belo Corporation are clear and evident. Hansen frequently belittled SMU and its fans before he got the dirt that led to the death penalty. He seemed annoyed when SMU was stealing the limelight from Texas, OU and Nebraska in the early 80s because he actually had to report on our success. Good riddance. He made his name by dragging us down while demonstrating a total lack of interest in what everyone else was doing illegally at the time. Hansen is typical of local broadcast sports shows. Carefully curated and one-sided stories about teams with strong local fan base (UT and the Cowboys). He was a ratings grabber not a journalist. I suppose that can be said about most local news broadcasts anywhere you go.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:34 pm

perhaps he was a front runner for what the media has become today- opinions, bias and seldom factual reporting.
redpony

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:03 pm

The Dallas media has not given 2 shites about us since Doak Walker. Hansen picked us out of the entire SWC to run this expose. ut, arkie, ag, etc were all just as guilty, if not more so, doing the exact same thing. ou bought Marcus Dupree a house. Nobody cared. Local media still cares very little. DMN (I know, nobody reads it) today on their front page of their sport webpage had stories about ut, tcu, ag, ok st, bu but 0 about SMU. If not for bad press we would get nothing. I guess we should thank him for that. Hansen is a troll, always has and always will be. How he has stayed employed this long is anybody's guess.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby 35straight » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:26 pm

Good. Goodbye hack, and all your disciples.
35straight
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:16 pm

SmooBoy wrote:ANY decent reporter in a huge or small city would have run with the story.

Yeah sure. Everybody was paying. See Eric Dickerson Trans Am. So there were no "decent reporters" in any of the cities across the country that could expose so many schools paying players bigtime? It's obvious Fail Hansen was the Judas Jack Ruby for the Austin agenda. The guy is a total scum-bag.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big Hoss » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:03 pm

I've just never been a fan of his, even years before I ever even thought about attending SMU. I didn't live in Dallas in the 80's, so the DP and Hansen weren't really on my radar screen then. Dale just always came off as smarmy, pompous, and a know-it-all. I actually cringe when I agree with some of his commentary, but like him or not, he's a local legend.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:58 am

It's Hansen's MO that I despise about him. He engaged in ambush tactics. No journalistic integrity.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Next

Return to Football