PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thanks Gov, Sherwood, Ron, Dave Smith, and Lazy A Alums

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thanks Gov, Sherwood, Ron, Dave Smith, and Lazy A Alums

Postby GHammond » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:59 pm

The reorg train is leaving the station and our cool little small private in a huge market that we do not control, is leaving the station and we are arguing relevancy to the ticket agent. We’re screwed. We are Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Rice in some ways…what’s our Neilson ranking? How many hotel rooms will we buy in ______for the bowl game. What’s our tradition these last 20-30 years? It’s all about revenue, big revenue, and we are the furthest thing from a generator, certainly not in Auburn, Colorado, Notre Dame, Duke, Nebraska terms. Let me know about some good joints in El Paso, a nice golf course near NOLA, or the best steak house in San Marcos….that’s our future.
GHammond
Varsity

Re: Thanks Gov, Sherwood, Ron, Dave Smith, and Lazy A Alums

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:20 pm

No decent steak joints in San Marcos. But Kent Black, an SMU alum, owns an outpost of his famous Lockhart BBQ restaurant there.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:18 pm

Thanks Topper….I’m just irritated.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:24 pm

GHammond wrote:Thanks Topper….I’m just irritated.

Darrell Royal was asked about disparity in college football. He said like elsewhere in nature "the big uns eat the little uns."
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Short drive to Denton, Stephenville. A little further to Nacogdoches.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 pm

berg- not sure you can blame the alums. I know for a fact that during the investigation there were a group who had pledges of over 1 mil. to take the ncaa to court. the money was to pay for SMU legal expenses. SMU said no- go away and put your money where the sun doesn't shine. the alums were willing to fight this, the school was not. And we now see the result.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:18 pm

I agree. Don't blame the alumni who were willing to "Pony Up" to make sure SMU was competing at the highest level and beating the big boys at their own game. Probation sure didn't keep Alabama or Clemson down for very long because they were determined to get back on top. The new NIL rules make our wealthy alumni more important than ever
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:53 pm

redpony wrote:berg- not sure you can blame the alums. I know for a fact that during the investigation there were a group who had pledges of over 1 mil. to take the ncaa to court. the money was to pay for SMU legal expenses. SMU said no- go away and put your money where the sun doesn't shine. the alums were willing to fight this, the school was not. And we now see the result.

"Trust the NCAA...They are the Conscience and Governance of College Athletics", said no one, ever.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby well travelled pony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:21 pm

redpony wrote:berg- not sure you can blame the alums. I know for a fact that during the investigation there were a group who had pledges of over 1 mil. to take the ncaa to court. the money was to pay for SMU legal expenses. SMU said no- go away and put your money where the sun doesn't shine. the alums were willing to fight this, the school was not. And we now see the result.

Yep
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby Topper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm

well travelled pony wrote:

Yep

There was a total leadership vacuum which was filled by an anti-big time sports clique of faculty. It is a miracle that sports survived at all.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 pm

Topper wrote:
well travelled pony wrote:

Yep

There was a total leadership vacuum which was filled by an anti-big time sports clique of faculty. It is a miracle that sports survived at all.

The "Kenneth Pye effect". I was living in Durham when Pye was hired away from Duke and knew Duke's tennis coach well. Even he was quick to note that "SMU just killed it's athletic programs", claiming Pye's vision of athletics on a college campus was all about intramural competition.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:31 pm

D-2 here we come. Turners dream comes true and his co-hort Pye is smiling from above.
redpony

Postby BUS » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:13 am

Useless to blame others now.

You have to bring new people to the game.

I have 18 coming next week.
Last edited by BUS on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby redpony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:31 am

Bus,- yes the past is the past. However, we still have a pres. who greatly dislikes sports and did nothing for over 20 years to make us better. Until he is gone we will still be forced to remain mediocre as that is his mantra. And his assistant, the AD lapboy does his best to make sure his orders are followed out.
redpony

Postby BUS » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:46 am

You may be correct but I do not know them well enough to know their desires. I do see the reality of where we are and our options.
I can do what I can do.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Next

Return to Football