PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thanks Gov, Sherwood, Ron, Dave Smith, and Lazy A Alums

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thanks Gov, Sherwood, Ron, Dave Smith, and Lazy A Alums

Postby BUS » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:47 am

Did the US quit when the germans bombed pearl harbor?
LOL please.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RunningStang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 am

I guess there is only one thing left to do, win the whole ***** thing (AAC and Group of Five Champion)! This team can do it!
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:24 am

BUS wrote:You may be correct but I do not know them well enough to know their desires. I do see the reality of where we are and our options.
I can do what I can do.

Bus, I do not know them well either but actions speak much louder than words. we see their actions they show how poorly they have supported sports.
redpony

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:02 pm

What makes you say RGT doesn’t like or support sports? Most faculty believe he supports sports too much. Since having high academic standards for athletes about 15 years ago, he has since built friendly education major, lots of tutoring support, etc. He got SMU into the Big East. He supports hoops and football with his presence and fundraising. He also invests millions of dollars of student fees and financial resources into athletics.

For the Big 12, it’s tough with TCU, Baylor and Tech already taking large shares of Metroplex eyeballs. Maybe the PAC and ACC are the long term goals.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:09 pm

tristatecoog wrote:What makes you say RGT doesn’t like or support sports? Most faculty believe he supports sports too much. Since having high academic standards for athletes about 15 years ago, he has since built friendly education major, lots of tutoring support, etc. He got SMU into the Big East. He supports hoops and football with his presence and fundraising. He also invests millions of dollars of student fees and financial resources into athletics.

For the Big 12, it’s tough with TCU, Baylor and Tech already taking large shares of Metroplex eyeballs. Maybe the PAC and ACC are the long term goals.

Remember also that Turner was an advocate for creation of The Boulevard, having learned from his experience at Ole Miss and seeing how many alumni came out to The Grove on football Saturdays. I disagree that he "hates sports" but do agree he has tried to please everyone and the anti-athletics faculty are the pinheads who don't understand the importance of having a nationally recognized athletics program. My brother was on the faculty during the Pony Express years (B School) and even though he wasn't into sports, he fully appreciated the value of having a Top 10 program and the attention it brought to SMU.

As for the Big XII and our future, my fear is that all of our former SWC mates will resist having SMU join. I think they still harbor bitterness from those Pony Express days and fear that with the new NIL rules, SMU could become a force once again...at their expense. Not unlike the former UT AD who said he would never schedule SMU again as long as he held that position. UT really hated being beaten at their own game!
Charleston Pony

Postby 78pony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:37 pm

What is up with some of you? Doesn’t anyone remember that RGT scoffed at tcu and baylor for spending so much money to ready themselves for the beauty pageant to come and be able to claim facilities and funding and total commitment to their athletic programs. We didn’t. Turner finally got it some 10+ years later when he could see how successful football & basketball programs benefitted these guys and others in all ways, not just athletics. It played, and still is, playing out too little way too late. A generation+ of students, not to mention residents of the Metroplex, essentially said SMU doesn’t choose to compete at the highest levels so we will look elsewhere for what/who we want to support. We are trying to up our game but we may have waited too long. We’ll see. Not looking too promising.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks RGT, you finally got everything you' have wanted since you have been here, three decades ago. We now know you passed on the opportunity, 'we are content to be where we are!" We even had to open what maybe our best season with your alma mater, you must be in heaven.

Why don't you, your fellow alumni Brad, Little Ricky and Lurch all just leave...that is my dream!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football