PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Teams to Replace UH, Cincinnati, and UCF?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Teams to Replace UH, Cincinnati, and UCF?

Postby SMUstang » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:31 pm

The WAC was a lifeboat for us when the SWC broke up. As soon as the WAC started falling apart, we joined C-USA which was another lifeboat.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:21 pm

WAC 96 was ahead of its time!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hiphopfroggy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Rice and Texas State.
hiphopfroggy

Postby Bo Darville » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:05 am

Personally, I think the Big XII should add SMU, Houston, and Cincinnati and leave the directional Florida out of it.

I think Rice and their massive endowment should be in the AAC next and maybe leave it at that and keep it tight for now. If Army's up for it, then they should be going after Marshall, UAB, Southern Mississippi, or UTEP, to round it out.

I hope they don't over-react to losing Central Florida and go after Florida Atlantic or Florida International or both.
Bo Darville

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:42 am

hiphopfroggy wrote:Rice and Texas State.

Go away.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:53 am

Not to worry. The American is probably about to lose 3 of it's top teams, but Mike Aresco is not asleep at the wheel and he probably has several great replacements already lined up. He has ties with ESPN and CBS Sports, besides doing a great job as our commissioner. The American will come out OK in the end, if not better. We could add Army, Air Force, Boise State, Rice, UAB, or any other combination. Whoever it is will be a great fit. Count on it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 am

I don't think the above teams put the AAC in better standing than it current is.

HOWEVER, I think one could argue the following regarding the B12 and our situation...
- We may have a better pathway to the playoffs through the AAC than even through a downgraded B12.
- I suspect the B12 may not be stable even with the additions of Cincy, UCF, Houston, and BYU. I expect teams to continue to get poached by the other 4 power conferences.
- Getting into the playoffs as an AAC team does a lot more for us long-term than being a member of the downgraded B12 and not getting into the playoffs.
- If the playoffs weren't expanding, I think this argument changes as getting into the playoffs from a weaker AAC is virtually impossible (as we've seen from undefeated UCF and Cincy teams in years past). But, the playoffs are expanding.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 am

We need to start thinking about upgrading non-conference schedules. We could be in a place in the future where we can win every game on schedule and it takes us to Boca Raton. Possible that no team we play would be a quality W in minds of pollsters.

The UNT extension may not help that much. Vanderbilt is getting worse and will continue to do so with their new coaching hire (will be a nice W opportunity vs an SEC team, but could be a future bad loss to a bad team).

Not sure where the TCU agreement stands.

The games against Lamar and Hou Baptist only serve as scrimmages - which may be needed.

Hope that they think about upgrading schedule. I guess we could add Houston in as a non-conference game in the future...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:25 am

Agree
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:03 pm

who is "the Rashaad samples of basketball"
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby hiphopfroggy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:09 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Go away.

FWIW I'm being serious and would rather the Big12 add Rice than UH. I would rather SMU than UCF and hopefully if the Big12 adds two later SMU is one of those two.
hiphopfroggy

Postby SMUstang » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:13 am

I don’t know. Is ?$/14 more than ?$/10? per school. Could be that the AAC is a better choice. Which choice will put more fans in the stands? Or help with recruiting? Or playoff prospects? Or keep our coaching staff?

With TT, TCU, BU, and UH in the Big 12, will the Big 12 add another Texas school to compete with them on equal footing for recruits? We already schedule TCU and Houston. Could we add the others out of conference? Would it make sense? Is a bird in the hand worth 2 in the bush?
Last edited by SMUstang on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:50 am

hiphopfroggy wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Go away.

FWIW I'm being serious and would rather the Big12 add Rice than UH. I would rather SMU than UCF and hopefully if the Big12 adds two later SMU is one of those two.

Oh I thought you were saying the AAC should add those two. I can understand Rice but not Texas St. I wish we were going into the Big 12 but it's all about revenue.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:23 am

hiphopfroggy was suggesitng the AAC add Rice and Texas State. I disagree but based on what hiphopfroggy posted it is clear hiphopfroggy values a regional league and academics.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deepellumfrog » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:12 pm

So nobody thinks the Mountain West is a good option? I enjoyed my trips to Wyoming San Diego and Colorado when we were in that conference
deepellumfrog
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football