PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Teams to Replace UH, Cincinnati, and UCF?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Teams to Replace UH, Cincinnati, and UCF?

Postby mustangxc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:51 am

That was never going to happen. ESPN would have had to pay $15-20 million per team plus the $160 million buyout money plus the departure/arrival fees to make it worthwhile for teams to move from the Big XII to the AAC. The Big XII was always going to be the one to absorb teams. The same holds true for the AAC and MWC unless Aresco is asleep at the wheel or ESPN truly has no interest in any 4 MWC teams.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:53 am

Big XII has two media partners, ESPN and Fox. Fox was probably pulling the strings on this expansion with ESPN assisting. Getting BYU is good for them because they bring 15 Million Mormons to watch games and even former Mormons root for them. Cincy makes WVU happy to finally have a travel partner. Houston and UCF are the best of the rest as far as potential TV watchers.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:23 am

Suffice it to say that both the Big XII teams and the AAC teams will be getting less from their media rights once the dust settles, but the Big XII will still have a much better deal than the AAC. Right now, each AAC team gets $7 mil/yr and the MWC schools are getting $4 mil from their deal with CBS/FOX. I would expect the AAC deal to be renegotiated somewhere closer to what the MWC schools are getting. I can't imagine anyone in the MWC being anxious to leave that group to join the AAC and vice versa because no program from either conference is going to have a significant impact on media rights deals going forward.

A "coast to coast" combination of American/MWC teams covering all time zones would give ESPN, CBS Sports Network & FOX live games to fill time slots but I'm not sure even that has the same value as the American currently offers. It was a good move for SMU to play in a conference that covers both Eastern and Central time zones because that eastern zone adds large population centers and the potential for more viewers, but the remaining programs (other than Navy and Air Force) don't attract national interest.

Memphis basketball might attract national attention soon and Boise has played good football long enough to be pretty well known, but the rest of us have a lot of work to do if we ever hope to compete with the big boys in college athletics.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:49 am

I don’t think the Big 12 will ever be in the cards for the Ponies. There are too many schools in there who would blackball us. I think we will be a 10 team conference adding 2 teams. Maybe UAB, or UTSA or Rice or Marshall. Playing a championship game the way the Big 12 has done. JMO
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Doesntmatter » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Blackballing is for sororities. This is a business now. Potential media value trumps any “blackballing paranoia”these days as it should. And don’t start the TCU already has the DFW DMA wrapped up. As any savy media person knows, the DMA is so huge, multiple teams would collectively be more valuable. This is due to unique viewership, impressions, and now, subscriptions. SMU has its own audience in the DMA with a lot of upside. Paired with TCU, the collective penetration into the DMA is greater. Ultimately, TCU delivers the Fort Worth segment of the DMA and SMU delivers the Dallas segment. And, more importantly in this day and age, each has its own potential subscriber base (ESPN+). This benefits TCU and the Big 12 financially and that’s most important. Finally, if Big 12 doesn’t work out (I think it eventually does), the potential media value we can bring by virtue of being In Dallas coupled with WINNING and a great Dallas campaign will eventually pay dividends.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:57 pm

I agree in part that the TV suits will control the ultimate outcomes in all of this. But I fear that TT, Baylor and TCU will not want to give up what they perceive is a recruiting advantage over SMU and will fight to not take us unless the networks penalize them in the dollars offered. If they say, $10 Million with SMU. $9 Million without SMU. They might blink. If they say $9 Million either way except we'll give you free car wash coupons if you take SMU, they'll fight it. I don't see us having the ratings to justify that kind of a threat from the networks. Our prime time game with Memphis was an ABC low of 1.8. Not too far off from OU/TT (1.9) or VT/U (2.0) games that year. Funny thing it was a great game.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUstang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Correct, there are not many folks out there who remember the Pony Express. And the few that do are in the minority.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:22 pm

It's time for SMU to step up and become the "surprise team" of 2021. How about 2 unbeatens when SMU heads to Cincinnati this year? That's what it will take...not unlike the Memphis game of a couple years ago, but it's time to win one of those big games. It can't be a one year "flash in the pan" for this program. SMU has to win and win big consistently to develop the kind of interest in our program(s) that will make us attractive as a conference mate.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:35 pm

It could happen if this team even slightly exceeds expectations. Sure, we played a vastly inferior ACU. But I really like this team.
ponyboy

Postby PonyTime » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:41 pm

EastStang wrote:I agree in part that the TV suits will control the ultimate outcomes in all of this. But I fear that TT, Baylor and TCU will not want to give up what they perceive is a recruiting advantage over SMU and will fight to not take us unless the networks penalize them in the dollars offered. If they say, $10 Million with SMU. $9 Million without SMU. They might blink. If they say $9 Million either way except we'll give you free car wash coupons if you take SMU, they'll fight it. I don't see us having the ratings to justify that kind of a threat from the networks. Our prime time game with Memphis was an ABC low of 1.8. Not too far off from OU/TT (1.9) or VT/U (2.0) games that year. Funny thing it was a great game.

Than why would they invite Houston? They are better positioned to steal BBall and FB recruits from those three TX teams. SMU has some academic standards that recruits must live up to and I am pretty sure Houston (like Tech, Baylor and TCU) have lower bars to surpass.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:59 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:It's time for SMU to step up and become the "surprise team" of 2021. How about 2 unbeatens when SMU heads to Cincinnati this year? That's what it will take...not unlike the Memphis game of a couple years ago, but it's time to win one of those big games. It can't be a one year "flash in the pan" for this program. SMU has to win and win big consistently to develop the kind of interest in our program(s) that will make us attractive as a conference mate.

True but we have to get past LaTech and TCU first. A tall order. We are probabLy one of the best mid-major teams out there.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:41 pm

SMUstang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:It's time for SMU to step up and become the "surprise team" of 2021. How about 2 unbeatens when SMU heads to Cincinnati this year? That's what it will take...not unlike the Memphis game of a couple years ago, but it's time to win one of those big games. It can't be a one year "flash in the pan" for this program. SMU has to win and win big consistently to develop the kind of interest in our program(s) that will make us attractive as a conference mate.

True but we have to get past LaTech and TCU first. A tall order. We are probabLy one of the best mid-major teams out there.

Like Sonny said post game, it now gets tougher every week with UNT > ACU; La Tech > UNT & TCU > La Tech. Until the 1st disappointing loss, I'm going to remain optimistic that this year's SMU team will be the Cinderella of the 2021 college football season
Charleston Pony

Postby Doesntmatter » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:32 pm

Blackballing because of recruiting paranoia is a dreamed up fan issue. The need for strength of schedule/conference and money is what drives this. If you think Gary Patterson is going to go to his AD, President, and Conference Commissioner and say don’t add SMU (or Houston) because they may get better than us…. GP would look stupid and weak. It doesn’t happen but fans and some reporters think it does. Can you imagine an SEC school saying don’t add UT and OU because we’re afraid of the recruiting implications? These are business decisions the conference commissioner and presidents make and it’s all about revenue.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby SMUstang » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Let’s face it in recruiting, UT and A&M will get whoever they want, followed by TT, Baylor, and TCU. The AAC will be left with the scraps. SMU has been very successful with the transfer portal. Hopefully that will continue, but no guarantees.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby redpony » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:05 pm

IMO the only decent team that the AAC should go after is Boise St.. most of the other programs are just over rated D2 schools. Maybe Marshall but no to ntsu, and the other lower level schools.

As for our supporters showing up with $$, that is a dream. We recently saw proof of that with the bball program. For more than a few years we have had a coach who should have been replaced and wasn't because nobody cared to have a top level bball program. Guess what? it would not surprise me if little ricky the lapboy hasn't already prepared a new multi-year contract for trashovich and has kept it quiet to avoid all of the backlash.

Face it, the AAC by losing cougar high, cincy and ucf is now worse than the sunbelt conference and with no substantial replacements in sight to bring us up to where we were.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football