PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Consider these Options

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Consider these Options

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:45 am

If the AAC loses Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston, the best options for SMU may be:

MWC Mountain Division:
Air Force
Wyoming
Colorado St
New Mexico
Utah St
SMU
Memphis

MWC Western Division:
Boise St
SDSU
SJSU
Nevada
Hawaii
Fresno St
UNLV

or:

AAC +
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
SMU
Navy
East Carolina
Temple
USF
UAB
Marshall or UTSA or Rice

Just a thought
Last edited by SMUstang on Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: Consider these Options

Postby mustangxc » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:23 pm

My preference is either MWC with Memphis or western wing of the AAC with Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Air Force or Colorado State. I think it is more logical to have the MWC teams move to the AAC due to our favorable tv contract with ESPN. If not, then just add either UAB or Marshall to the AAC to keep it at 9 teams and let the others prove themselves for a few more years.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Not sure how favorable our TV contract will be with 3 of our best teams gone.
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: Consider this Option

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:35 pm

SMUstang wrote:If the AAC loses Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston, the best alternatives for SMU may be:

MWC Mountain Division:
Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado St., New Mexico, Utah St., SMU, Memphis

MWC Western Division:
Boise St., SDSU, SJSU, Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno St., UNLV

or:
NEW SWC
SMU
Rice
UTSA
UNT
Tulsa
Tulane
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss
Arkansas St.

or:

AAC +
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
SMU
Navy
East Carolina
Temple
USF
UAB
Marshall

Just a thought

I don't know what SMU's future holds but all these scenarios are within the realm of possible. The MWC option would bring a lot of travel for SMU and Memphis and the MWC might consider this move if adding central time zone teams would boost their revenue sharing. The "new SWC" would need 12 schools for divisional play and a championship game and I'd like to see Memphis and UTEP (one east/one west) in that grouping. In your expanded AAC, I like that group of 10 but need 2 more for football (La Tech, UNT, Arkie State, La-Laffy all candidates) and it becomes difficult to form "permanent" divisions because Wichita State would belong in the west for bball so one school would have to play football in the west and bball in the east. Memphis might prefer that although they would not have much competition in bball which is really important to them.

Another option for the AAC would be to just add one school that would play both football and bball. With 9 schools competing, you would have 4 conference home games and 4 road games in football but you sacrifice a championship game. You could play home/home series in hoops and a 16 game conference schedule would leave 2 more non-conference games than we have in today's AAC. It would be important to take on stronger opponents to give the conference a chance of boosting it's RPI.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:38 pm

I think AAC will convince Boise state and air force to join. Who the third team will be is up for grabs, I could see App state to get east coast replacement or Marshall is a good one.

I don't see a good reason to leave for MWC. Boise state in that arrangement controls I believe 50% of the revenue and they get less than the AAC.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:08 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I think AAC will convince Boise state and air force to join. Who the third team will be is up for grabs, I could see App state to get east coast replacement or Marshall is a good one.

I don't see a good reason to leave for MWC. Boise state in that arrangement controls I believe 50% of the revenue and they get less than the AAC.

Can we take best of both and leave worst of both? Would be the best option.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Dukie wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I think AAC will convince Boise state and air force to join. Who the third team will be is up for grabs, I could see App state to get east coast replacement or Marshall is a good one.

Can we take best of both and leave worst of both? Would be the best option.

Probably ESPN plan.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:38 pm

If/when Houston, Cincy & UCF depart, the AAC will have only 8 teams for football and bball with Navy & Wichita State not "full" members, so we would need 4 additional "full" members to have 6 team divisions (preferred in my mind in order to build rivalries) and hold a championship game in football.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:37 pm

To me we have to be in a conference with Memphis, USF, Boise st, and also stay with Tulane, Tulsa and I would bring in Rice. The latter are better academic institutions and cover Houston, Louisiana and OK. The other three are important because of their success in sports and/or large alumni base which helps with ratings. Other programs I like are perhaps the service academies. Nevada or Fresno state might be good options too.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:36 pm

I also would like to stay in a conference with Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, and Navy. I also would not mind bringing in Rice. I agree that we should keep TCU and North Texas on our schedule, and maybe add Houston and/or Texas Tech. But the MWC may be the best option in the long run. Assuming that the Big 12 stays at 12.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:09 pm

I like a western and eastern division with all the best schools/ones with the most tv viewers
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:10 pm

Looks like big12 will do 2 rounds of expansion. It’s still a possibility. We just need to keep winning and will be fine.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby fan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:04 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Looks like big12 will do 2 rounds of expansion. It’s still a possibility. We just need to keep winning and will be fine.

^^ This. It looks like someone picked up the phone and called B12 HQ.
fan
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:12 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Looks like big12 will do 2 rounds of expansion. It’s still a possibility. We just need to keep winning and will be fine.

No we need to win, add baseball or at least put an open promise with Big 12 money, and get **** ton of fans in Ford. We can't look like a high school game where the home side is decent and the pseudo visitor side is barren.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:50 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

No we need to win, add baseball or at least put an open promise with Big 12 money, and get **** ton of fans in Ford. We can't look like a high school game where the home side is decent and the pseudo visitor side is barren.

I have no idea what this reply means? If the B12 will take us as is then so be it as that is what it looks like.
fan
Varsity

Next

Return to Football