PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

Postby Dukie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Pony4Life wrote:A cbssports.com report says top AAC targets are Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State and UAB.

Personally, I have no interest in UAB. The others sound good.

+1. Glad they’re back from the dead. But no.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Don’t understand why everyone wants a school that recently disbanded their program
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:21 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:Don’t understand why everyone wants a school that recently disbanded their program

I guess they have an almost $200 million dollar new stadium to call home

https://protectivestadium.com/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:06 am

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... rado-state

This article makes it seem like Air Force and Colorado State are the 2 most likely additions. Hopefully they can talk San Diego State and Boise State into joining them.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:02 am

“They have been told simply by the departure of those three schools, their average annual value drops to mid-$40 million,” Thompson said of the total AAC payout. “The Mountain West is $40 million. It’s a push. So you’re not going there for TV money. What are you going there for?

What an incredibly dumb statement. You just pointed out that the three school were of substantial value yet act like the teams in MWC are all equal. Boise St, SDSU are clearly the top two valued schools. I guess AF and CSU are the next two. My assumption that Aresco is going down is still #3 and 4 and 1 and 2 will join once they see the TV money drop as well as overall competition.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PNW_Stang » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:23 am

I want those western schools over any from the east. That seems to make sense for football, but for all other sports seems really dumb to have SDSU in a conference with East Carolina and Temple.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 am

PNW_Stang wrote:I want those western schools over any from the east. That seems to make sense for football, but for all other sports seems really dumb to have SDSU in a conference with East Carolina and Temple.

Thinking about the metrics that the Tampa Bay Times says the Big XII used when deciding what four to invite: recent FB record, recent ranking/bowl/big-win successes, recent NFL draft picks, current social-media following, current media market size, recent average TV viewership, recent games with >2 million viewers, and recent average home attendance.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2 ... d-houston/

I have no idea how all of the AAC and MWC teams rank in these metrics, but Aresco--and SMU leaders--damn sure better know.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Dukie wrote:
I have no idea how all of the AAC and MWC teams rank in these metrics, but Aresco--and SMU leaders--damn sure better know.

I suspect that Aresco has that kind of info. RGT and little ricky- probably still lost in a fog and likely care less about those metrics.
redpony

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:21 pm

Someone explain to me the Colorado State thing and why we want them? Is it TV viewership? Do they draw well?

They haven't been that competitive in football in recent years, and they've already lost to South Dakota State this year....plus they're struggling with freakin Toledo right now.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby mustangxc » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:25 pm

Colorado State University is a land-grant institution, it is also designated as a Carnegie R1 (very high research activity) in a fast growing state. It is a 1 hour drive away from Denver in a state bordering current AAC members. They have solid basketball and have had solid football teams in the past. If they can elevate their performance on the gridiron they are the type of team that could really shine in the AAC with Texas recruiting and ESPN exposure.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Dukie wrote:
ponyboy wrote:
Pony4Life wrote:A cbssports.com report says top AAC targets are Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State and UAB.

UAB up 33-0 AT UNT after 3 quarters I would say they are definitely back from the dead.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:02 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Personally, I have no interest in UAB. The others sound good.

UAB up 33-0 AT UNT after 3 quarters I would say they are definitely back from the dead.

Still glad. Still no.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:
ponyboy wrote:

It's also NTCC...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 pm

SDSU beats Utah in triple OT 33-31. Clearly SDSU & Boise are the most attractive MWC schools but I just don't see a "coast to coast" conference working without large numvbers...at least 14 members to make it work as divisional play will be really important
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:52 pm

I don't think we need to go beyond 12 to make it work. The issue in the past was our unwillingness to bring them on as full members. I also think that part of the attraction for SDSU is to play teams such as Temple and Memphis in basketball so while they want some regional opponents like Colorado State they also want to play the best possible opponents.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football