PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 am

SMUstang wrote: It's dangerous to think too highly of oneself.

But that's what we do!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 am

Arkpony wrote:We gotta get out!

The MWC came out with an official statement that they were not expanding. Behind the scenes, it is being reported that the MWC was really only interested in adding SMU and they might look at other teams as long SMU agreed to come as well.

Honestly though, it makes no sense to make a conference move to anything other than a P5 conference. Would cost us $10m in exit fees and we would lose out on $7m a year payout we are getting from the TV (it has been confirmed that the money will not decline for existing members.)

We have a couple of years to state our case to join the big boys and the AAC is the best place to make that case. If we go to the MWC, our exposure would fall off the map.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:03 am

I agree the newly expanded AAC looks a lot like CUSA 2.0 but let's remember everyone's disappointment (especially Larry Brown's) when we thought we were joining the Big East only to watch the majority of that conference's bball powerhouses leave...and retain the Big East name as an insult to injury. Looking back, that all turned out O.K. I seem to recall the last time SMU played in a championship game for football, it was in CUSA vs UCF.

SMU's failure to win consistently and to build a fan base leaves us on the outside looking in but not completely. If the D-I FBS playoffs are expanded to 12 schools with the champion of the 6th highest rated conference is included, we probably have a better chance the AAC could achieve that 6th place ranking AND that SMU could win the AAC than we would winning the Big XII, so it's too early to throw in the towel. It sure sounds like several on this forum, who are probably among SMU's most loyal fans, have already given up. If that's the case, it just sums up where SMU stands in the world of college athletics.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:09 am

shadowman wrote:
Arkpony wrote:We gotta get out!

The MWC came out with an official statement that they were not expanding. Behind the scenes, it is being reported that the MWC was really only interested in adding SMU and they might look at other teams as long SMU agreed to come as well.

Honestly though, it makes no sense to make a conference move to anything other than a P5 conference. Would cost us $10m in exit fees and we would lose out on $7m a year payout we are getting from the TV (it has been confirmed that the money will not decline for existing members.)

We have a couple of years to state our case to join the big boys and the AAC is the best place to make that case. If we go to the MWC, our exposure would fall off the map.

Couldn't agree more. The MWC, playing in Mountain and Pacific time zones, gets very little attention on the east coast and I do think the best strategy is to maintain a presence in the east. I will admit I was intrigued by what an AAC/MWC merger could bring as that AMERICAN conference could provide 12 hours of televised football/basketball on Saturdays
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Step 1 - we lost schools that drive revenue
Step 2 - we tried to add schools that would enhance revenue (MWC) and it didn't work
Step 3 - find schools that are committed to athletics (hopefully Rice actually follows through) and in large metro areas to stabilize the financial contracts.
Step 4 - Commit to SMU, USF, and Memphis that they will get paid at the same level they are today as well as the exit fees from the other schools.

The big difference between this conference and what was formerly CUSA is that we are still taking home $7M per year instead of $500K per year from a TV contract. And all of the schools involved are committing to athletics spend in order to grow the prestige of the conference.

Paying an exit fee to go to a conference that would give us less than 7M per year makes no sense at all.

The game still hasn't changed - win, win, win. Get attention. Go to a high end conference. Rice is in this group for a reason. If they commit to investing in athletics, they are an expansion partner into PAC or Big 10.
JasonB

Postby redpony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:07 pm

perhaps the band should play the funeral dirge instead of pony fight? More appropriate with this new conference. Over and out- no more SMU games. First we destroy a good bball program by running off the best coach we have had in yearw and then keeping a totally inept coach. Now we stand a good chance of losing our fball coach thanks to stupid decisions by our admin and aresco. Perhaps they should rename the conference 'the group of mental hernias"- more appropriate.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm not excited about the additions. I suspect that USF was asked which Florida team they wanted and FAU got the nod. Charlotte is not a program for football that I would have picked, although ECU may have asked for them instead of Appy State, Marshall or Coastal Carolina. The head scratcher in this is UNT. Why add another team from DFW and Denton no less? I can't imagine why Hart and Turner okayed that. I would think they would have dropped a blackball on UNT, so obviously, this was either dictated by the TV suits or is a defensive move for when SMU leaves. Either way, we need to run the table this year to serve a big stinky sandwich to the Big XII.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:30 pm

So Sunbelt gets S. Miss and Marshall and we end up with UNT, Charlotte, FAU, UAB? AAC is no longer is close to a P5 conference it is not even a top G conference. Even if CFP expands to 12 teams and we win this diluted AAC it is a long shot that we will ever see the playoffs. I find it sad that some on this board think so little of the improvements this program has shown and that they are content to let it slip away. They argue that when more fans show up we will be elevated to the next level but fail to realize how the addition of these new teams hurts our chances and does not help fill the stands. Our Dallas marketing strategy (which is great!) will loose steam, interest will wain and then no chance of attracting a quality coaching staff or good recruits. Maybe I'm too proud of the university and the great potential the athletic department and, specifically, the football team has shown to accept this demotion gracefully. I guess those of us who see the football team as just a baby step behind the Cincinnati program should just "get over ourselves" and embrace a return to irrelevance.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby MV pony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Rice as an expansion partner? For years UH was said to be our expansion partner. How did that work out? At the end of the day, it's every team for themselves and if a team gets a P5 offer, it's going to the P5. It won't need an expansion partner.
MV pony
All-American

Postby GoStangs11 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:I’m shocked at how many of y’all are ok with Rice. They’ve completely disregarded their athletic programs, minus maybe baseball, for years. They’re the ones I have the most issues with. They could care less about football, on all levels. The only reason is Houston, but it’s not like they pull in anything around that city.

Same here. I am all for making the easy argument that we are a better school than UNT just for fun, but who cares if a good academic school is in our conference? At the end of the day, how does Vanderbilt serve Alabama? Do Duke or UVA benefit Clemson? It doesnt help with recruiting or winning big games which is the absolute bottom line here. None of these schools bolster SMU's objectives purely for existing in certain media markets. Rice being a draw on the Houston market is like saying Georgetown football would bring in DC.
GoStangs11
Scout Team

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:43 pm

Somewhat revealing story from Big 12 Comish Bowlsby just released!

https://247sports.com/Article/Conferenc ... 173563791/

"I’ve had a lot of conversations with President [Gerald] Turner and with [athletic director] Rick Hart," Bowlsby told D Magazine when asked about SMU's place in the process. "I’ve known them both for a long time. I have great respect for them. But we went after the best athletes we could find, and it was the four we got. They were the ones that bring the highest top-end and the most value. But I have great respect for SMU."

AND the most revealing part...

"It can’t just be about liking the school’s leadership or liking the location. There has to be more to it than that. So, I wouldn’t foreclose on additional expansion. But for us, right now, our indication is in the marketplace. That bigger is better."

"Bigger is better doesn't bode well for SMU :shock:
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 pm

Blvd_Stang wrote:Somewhat revealing story from Big 12 Comish Bowlsby just released!

https://247sports.com/Article/Conferenc ... 173563791/

"I’ve had a lot of conversations with President [Gerald] Turner and with [athletic director] Rick Hart," Bowlsby told D Magazine when asked about SMU's place in the process. "I’ve known them both for a long time. I have great respect for them. But we went after the best athletes we could find, and it was the four we got. They were the ones that bring the highest top-end and the most value. But I have great respect for SMU."

AND the most revealing part...

"It can’t just be about liking the school’s leadership or liking the location. There has to be more to it than that. So, I wouldn’t foreclose on additional expansion. But for us, right now, our indication is in the marketplace. That bigger is better."

"Bigger is better doesn't bode well for SMU :shock:

The" best athletes"? I guess we'll know at the end of the season whether that is accurate or not.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 pm

First, the new AAC is not my preference. However, Bowlsby summarizes why were not called up and it is spelled $.

I make the following observations.

Aresco isn’t able to replace the value and appeal of our three losses with anyone; this is a reality. Second, rather than doing nothing, his strategy is add larger universities in larger markets, who demographically look like Cincinnati and Orlando and introduce a replacement in Houston.

This suggests the AAC will build comparable replacements with these six schools, all of whom have committed to spend on their facilities and all sports.

Take time to read the complete AAC Press Release above. These candidates were selected for a reason, which is more long term than short term. UAB, UTSA and FAU are good examples of programs that can be very competitive and could recreate what our departing members accomplished while in the AAC. Our future is depended on continued success on the field, appeal to Dallas and recruiting.

By the way, if we want a partner to be paired with for any future possibilities, I would say it is Memphis, if it is the ACC, and Rice, if it is the PAC!2.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:12 pm

wp--pls explain "rice"
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby wilshireheightspony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:19 pm

Has there been any comment from Turner or Hart on the invitations and benefits for the AAC yet?
wilshireheightspony

PreviousNext

Return to Football