PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:53 pm

mrydel wrote:Let’s bring in Presbyterian College. Averaging 76 points a game. Never punt, always onside kick. At least they would be fun to watch. And with the mascot being the Presbyterian Blue Hose you gave to love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Football's version of Loyola-Marymount basketball
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Charleston Pony

Postby birddogger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Someone talk me out of my funk. As much as I'd like the AAC to add AFA, BSU, CSU and/or SDSU, I don't see what would compel any of them to join. Sure, they'll pick up an extra $3 million in TV money, but unless they join as football-only members, much of that added revenue will be eaten by travel costs for mens' and womens' Olympic sports and basketball. This goes both ways, with SMU and the other the current members bearing additional costs, although not as much perhaps, given that we will no longer be tripping to UCF or Cincy.

An AAC central division isn't going to happen, so if we add MWC schools, we'll find ourselves the eastern-most west division team or the western-most east division team, with Tulsa as our travel partner and necessarily more time on the road for our student athletes. I suppose that we'll have to accept that, or otherwise find ourselves playing new conference mates in the form of the directional Louisiana and Texas schools from CUSA.

I didn't follow the Ponies much when they were in the MWC, but does anyone recall how travel affected the teams academically and otherwise?

Ad hominem: I hate what ESPN has done to college football.
birddogger
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Money and exposure. $7 million v $3 million. Also ESPN v FS2. Better national time slots. More opportunities to market your program to the central and eastern time zones. On a national scale people would rather watch Boise State at SMU/Memphis/USF on ESPN than Boise State at Wyoming/New Mexico/Utah State on FS2. It's as simple as that. The money in travel costs will go up, but the power of the league will enable us all to continue recruiting and competing at championship levels. If we don't consolidate we will lose our footing even more to the P5.

We were never in the MWC, we were in the WAC 16 and the depleted WAC. We were terrible in football and mediocre in men's basketball but decent in women's basketball during those years.
mustangxc

Postby birddogger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:03 pm

Thanks for the correction re MWC, XC. The benefits that BSU and other MWC members might receive from AAC membership is just one side of the coin. SMU and others will be traveling and playing in later time slots and the TV audience may not be there in appreciable numbers. Again, however, I suppose that outweighs trips to Ruston or Lafayette, LA or Denton, which make for even less compelling TV.

We're still in must-win mode vs. our exiting conference mates, no matter what happens.
birddogger
All-American

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:09 pm

As far as what would compel them to join, money is the obvious answer. On top of that, I believe Air Force has publicly complained about the MWC. If we can get them, we can probably get CSU pretty easily. Start taking away some of Boise's conference opponents and they will become more amicable to the idea of moving. Get one of Boise or SDSU in the fold and the other will likely join as they wont want to be the last decent team standing in a gutted MWC. This conference would be the unquestionable top G5. Travel wouldn't be that bad as most of these cities are pretty easy to fly to. The schedules could be done in a way to reduce travel expenditures as much as possible. Its not that much more for Boise to send their womens basketball team to Albuquerque or San Jose than it is to send them to Dallas, New Orleans, or even Tampa and Philly.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:23 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:Air Force has publicly complained about the MWC.

Air Force road games? Shall I reserve my room at The Broadmoor?

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby well travelled pony » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
CJPONY16 wrote:Air Force has publicly complained about the MWC.

Air Force road games? Shall I reserve my room at The Broadmoor?

I would be stoked to have a nearby game. Come on up!!
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:06 am

I think we are in a no-win situation. I have no confidence that Aresco can bring in BSU, SDSU, AFA and some other top name schools to fill the void the defectors will leave. I also can not imagine SMU and Memphis moving to the MWC and accepting a much lower payout. Adding lower quality schools to the AAC is just b.s.. The only thing that will do is lower the quality of the conference and make us lower than MWC and possibly even CUSA.
redpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:22 am

redpony wrote:I think we are in a no-win situation. I have no confidence that Aresco can bring in BSU, SDSU, AFA and some other top name schools to fill the void the defectors will leave. I also can not imagine SMU and Memphis moving to the MWC and accepting a much lower payout. Adding lower quality schools to the AAC is just b.s.. The only thing that will do is lower the quality of the conference and make us lower than MWC and possibly even CUSA.

That's probably because they want to sit and wait to see. I'm assuming our payouts don't change immediately so we can sit at a higher revenue per team + collecting on buyouts before bringing in teams to share. Just a guess.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:49 pm

A cbssports.com report says top AAC targets are Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State and UAB.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:37 pm

redpony wrote:I think we are in a no-win situation. I have no confidence that Aresco can bring in BSU, SDSU, AFA

Of course we are, but adding Boise, Air Force, and another decent school is the best we can hope for at this time. Having Navy and Air Force both in our conference is sort of neat, although I know "neat" doesn't pay the bills....maybe add independent Army later? We made our bed and now we are seeing what it reaps. Too bad Sonny didn't take over when Chad Morris did.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:09 pm

I will say I wish we could add army instead of airforce only in the sense that it's more of a rivalry and I think the conference would benefit from that CBS TV deal for the game. Also army seems to be make fairly big splashes against opponents. I also understand air force would help with the traveling issues.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:10 pm

Air Force, Army, Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State, and UAB, plus Gonzaga for BB

= National Branding of all Service Academies, best available FB team (BSU), large metropolitan markets (San Diego and Birmingham) and two Colorado teams with the makings of a strong BB conference.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyboy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Pony4Life wrote:A cbssports.com report says top AAC targets are Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State and UAB.

Personally, I have no interest in UAB. The others sound good.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football