PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boise State Biggest Realignment Loser?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boise State Biggest Realignment Loser?

Postby birddogger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:23 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:No need to go to 14. You can add a west wing with 4 western schools.

West
Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, Air Force, SMU, Tulsa

East
Memphis, Tulane, USF, East Carolina, Temple, Navy

Go to 14 now to prepare for the loss of Boise & Memphis when the Big XII comes calling. Have to be forward thinking AND realistic about today's world

I don't see the Big12 adding Boise state. It's not a market they want and the travel costs wouldn't make sense. They be better off with us and Memphis. I think they're just waiting for us to justify our existence.

11,I agree with you that BSU is not travel friendly for the other Big12s. That does not mean, however, that BSU might not be willing take a smaller piece of the revenue pie to subsidize the travel for the others. Even if the Big12 TV deal is reduce to $10-12 Million, BSU could still make more than the $7 million payout that AAC members currently receive (assuming the TV revenues aren't reduced from the loss of UH and Cincy). Such a deal would still leave them with substantially more cash than the $3 Million they currently receive under the MWC TV deal.

BSU also does not bring with it any academic luster, ranking #299-#391in the 2022 edition of Best Colleges by USNWR, so the ivory tower types at ISU, KSU, Baylor and UH may not want their conference sullied.

I also agree we must win. We must beat UH, Cincy, UCF and Memphis often and soundly in football and basketball to stand a chance for an invitation to the mighty Big12.
birddogger
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:57 pm

I think Memphis is next up and then Boise State's stiffest competitor will be USF as they would be a travel partner for UCF. Our hope is probably for a 16 team league paired as the final addition with Boise State.

If the MWC teams decline I think our best bet for a plan B is to add UAB for a 9 team conference. If we need 10 I'd go with Buffalo. If we need 12 then I'd add Marshall and probably Rice. I'd be open to replacing either Marshall or Rice with Louisiana Tech.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 pm

mustangxc wrote:I think Memphis is next up and then Boise State's stiffest competitor will be USF as they would be a travel partner for UCF. Our hope is probably for a 16 team league paired as the final addition with Boise State.

If the MWC teams decline I think our best bet for a plan B is to add UAB for a 9 team conference. If we need 10 I'd go with Buffalo. If we need 12 then I'd add Marshall and probably Rice. I'd be open to replacing either Marshall or Rice with Louisiana Tech.

I think its likely that the Big 12 will want to have either 14 or 16 teams, which would mean that as it sits now they would need 2 more schools. One thing to keep in mind though is that it is still very likely that the Big12 loses at least 2 more schools at some point. The Alliance between the ACC, Pac12, and Big10 seems like its a handshake agreement so those conferences can buy some time to figure out what they want to do (i.e. who they want to poach) going forward since all three have new commissioners. We've already seen multiple instances of Kansas and WVU linked to other conferences, and we know they would leave in a heart beat. A couple of the current Big 12 schools wont be there much longer after UT/OU leave. So in the end, the Big12 will likely need 4 or more if they want to get to even 14.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Idaho sports writer tells Boise State to stay cool 8) and not pursue AAC without special considerations, while reiterating previous articles that MWC should pursue SMU and Tulsa.

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfspor ... 75554.html
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football