PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

La Tech Roll Call

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: La Tech Roll Call

Postby shadowman » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 am

Worried about the lightning. One bolt within 100 miles would delay/stop the game. Nothing worse than a multi hour delay for lightning. Otherwise, I would have gone.

Hopefully it will hold off!

Mustangs in the Ruston area, keep us posted!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:09 pm

Looks like the Mustangs will have very little fan support, the Big 12 is watching.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 pm

Those who made the trip sure had a happy ending!
Charleston Pony

Postby 78pony » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Those who made the trip sure had a happy ending!

Hmmm, if that game made you feel good then I don't know what to say. A gigantic sigh of relief and a big prayer of thanks for me.
78pony
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:28 am

78pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Those who made the trip sure had a happy ending!

Hmmm, if that game made you feel good then I don't know what to say. A gigantic sigh of relief and a big prayer of thanks for me.

100% agree.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:49 am

I suppose I am unlike most on this board who thought we would roll La Tech and that we are a far better team. After seeing them go to Starkville and almost (should have) beat Mississippi State, I was just hopeful our guys could find a way to win this game and that's exactly what they did. Kept me on the edge of my seat until the clock expired. Really entertaining game between 2 pretty evenly matched teams in my book.
Charleston Pony

Postby jpe747 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:05 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I suppose I am unlike most on this board who thought we would roll La Tech and that we are a far better team. After seeing them go to Starkville and almost (should have) beat Mississippi State, I was just hopeful our guys could find a way to win this game and that's exactly what they did. Kept me on the edge of my seat until the clock expired. Really entertaining game between 2 pretty evenly matched teams in my book.

I agree. I would like to revisit the video of the game, but it seemed to me SMU had problems running through the offensive line. I do not think our offensive line has lived up to what I expected from this group. However it seemed La Tech had decent success running up our middle, which didn't happen as much during the first two games. La Tech was very successful through the air. However, their qb was very accurate throughout the game (as was our qb). Actually I thought our pass defense was pretty good. The dbs had pretty good coverage - their qb was just so accurate. We have to do better in the red zone. Hopefully things will smooth out now that three games have been played.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am

Other than a few good runs, we didn't run well between the tackles but they didn't either. To me, all that says is these teams were pretty evenly matched in the trenches. They had some talented skill guys as well. We just made one more big play than they did. The transfer portal has allowed plenty of G5 programs to fill their rosters with highly regarded guys. There's a fine line between the top G5 programs and most P5 teams.
Charleston Pony

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Other than a few good runs, we didn't run well between the tackles but they didn't either. To me, all that says is these teams were pretty evenly matched in the trenches. They had some talented skill guys as well. We just made one more big play than they did. The transfer portal has allowed plenty of G5 programs to fill their rosters with highly regarded guys. There's a fine line between the top G5 programs and most P5 teams.
I had the same thought regarding the portal. Presumably their OU transfer was/is just as good as our OU transfer. Add in a few more skilled positions and I bet the disparity between our two teams was not that big. With the AAC getting a lot of top talent I believe others like CUSA, MW, etc a starting to see the same thing thereby elevating those teams just as SMU and our conference mates as well.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:18 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Other than a few good runs, we didn't run well between the tackles but they didn't either. To me, all that says is these teams were pretty evenly matched in the trenches. They had some talented skill guys as well. We just made one more big play than they did. The transfer portal has allowed plenty of G5 programs to fill their rosters with highly regarded guys. There's a fine line between the top G5 programs and most P5 teams.

And that's what makes our OC so unbelievably irritating because he doesn't adjust. It was like watching ww1 where we aren't gaining anything out there and just losing points on the board.

I wish someone would ask Riley: why on the 1 yard line didn't you try something different like run on the outside. I saw nothing from LA Tech that they had tremendous speed. If anything they were a wall in the middle.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:18 pm

I feel our offensive play calling at times is abysmal. At one point we smartly move down the field passing the near the goal 3 straight runs into the middle of the line for very little gain ( the 3rd try being a QB draw for no gain). Abysmal! Fire Riley!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 pm

Arkpony wrote:I feel our offensive play calling at times is abysmal. At one point we smartly move down the field passing the near the goal 3 straight runs into the middle of the line for very little gain ( the 3rd try being a QB draw for no gain). Abysmal! Fire Riley!

That's what I've been saying all day yesterday and last year. I'm sorry he's either way too confident in our O-line or he's an idiot and should be fired. Surely there's a coach we can promote up to take his place.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football