PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the LT game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts on the LT game

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm glad to hear Sonny still disappointed in the way the team is playing. I think we all feel the same way, despite the outcomes. I don't think anyone watching so far would expect us to beat TCU, Houston, Cincy, Memphis, or UCF this year.

- Offense came out much sharper; only non-scoring drives in the first half were penalty and the 4th down.
- OL was much, much better yesterday overall. Especially in the running game. Kudos to the coaches for owning things and changing back. Thomas was much better yesterday.
- That said, Osborne is still inconsistent. And I am really surprised that Morris continues to outsnap Bryant. Bryant is clearly a better player.
- The goal line failure is on the coaches, IMHO. Yes, we should have been able to block better. But we pushed the pile on 1st and second down, and then on third down, we subbed the RB and that allowed LT to sub in their goalline package. if we had just continued to play, I think we score on 3rd.
- Another thing I have noticed is that on short yardage situations, and even on pass plays, there are times where our blocking schemes are really super complicated. OL are pulling all over the place, tackles end up inside, guards end up on the edge. It happens pretty often, it is surprising, and it is way more complicated than it needs to be, especially in short yardage. We try to trick people too much instead of just running them over.
- I *think* the 12 players in the huddle was BS. There were never actually 12 players in the huddle, and I think that is what Sonny was complaining about. The 12th player was the WR who was not in the huddle.
- Tanner is efficent and was very good in a lot of areas yesterday. However, there are times in the games when you just have to let it rip. You can't be running on third and long or 4th down when there isn't a clear lane. You have to give your players a shot. The play calling also in the second half when we had the chance to extend the 5 point lead was too conservative. Sometimes you need to play to win, not be afraid of losing. The aggressiveness will cost you from time to time, but playing conservative doesn't fit the team. Hopefully that last drive will get him rolling on making quick decisions and letting the ball fly. Too often, he is waiting for receivers to break open instead of anticipating that they will become open. He is going to get obliterated by the TCU defensive line if he doesn't speed it up. Unless things change substantially, I can see us getting drilled pretty bad, the offense struggling next week, and Stone playing his first game action in the second half.
- Last note on the offense... I hate to say it, but I think it is time to start Kerley over Roberson. When healthy, Reggie is awesome. NFL player. But he clearly isn't there yet. No deep passes his way, yet again. And when you compare him versus Kerley on those WR screens, the difference in explosiveness is significant. Even on the game ending play yesterday, Reggie was basically jogging to the end zone. I think it is time to focus on letting him get back to full speed and backing off a little bit until he gets there.
- Defensively, I thought there were a lot of good efforts on the line. We held the line well. 30 carries for 132 yards is kind of an OK day for LT, but in reality they busted one long run and outside of that were 29 for under 100.
- As frustrating as parts of the game were to watch, the one good thing is that 90 is starting to step up. An elite DE who can create pressure is one of the big things I felt was missing going into the season. If Paul continues to step up and that void gets filled, that is a big deal. I'm interested to see if he can keep his progression up against TCU.
- I thought the LB crew had a poor day. They have been great to this point in the season, but there were several missed tackles. They need to play better, especially against a TCU. Moore in particular I want to see more from.
- At corner, Westfall was benched after that first big TD, but I couldn't help but notice on the replays that Denbow was lined up on the right side of the defense, but went left to cover the same space as the other safety. That eliminated any help over the top. Westfall certainly missed his press at the line of scrimmage and got beat, but not having any help I think contributed.
- They continue to focus on playing Crossley at the nickel corner. But that guy can't be seeing half the snaps of the other corners. We need him out there more often, and I hope the coaches make the adjustment. He and McMorris are clearly the best corners we have. Rogers, Johnson, and Westfall are all struggling. Johnson had a rough day. I get it that the QB clearly had a good day and they made some really tough plays. But they need to find a way to play Crossley and McMorris against TCU.
- I get that NWO dropped a pick. And he made some mistakes out there. And Massey isn't always lined up in the right spot. But it is time to go ahead and start them at safety and roll the dice. They have the ability to make plays. Everyone else at safety is just kind of "a guy". In today's college football, you need big plays to create negative situations from the offense. I'd rather take the risk and play those guys most of the snaps. Snap counts yesterday: Massey 39, Denbow 9, NWO 49, Cromartie 52. Its time to see Massey and NWO lead the snap counts and Denbow when healthy swapping in with both of them.

This team still has a ton of potential and depth. But things need to change significantly to prevent us from getting whipped next week.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts on the LT game

Postby Smumba2009 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:01 pm

I agree with everything you said. I also think we should take high percentage points such as a field goal when they are there. I also thought game management could have been better overall including going for it on 4th down late in the game when a punt and a defensive stop could have been more prudent. We have to play clean next week and get some help from TCU to have any chance at all. Hoping for more luck in Fort Worth.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:43 pm

Who do we need to talk to get JasonB in as offensive coordinator? Sonny you reading this? We need a new OC stat.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:08 pm

Jason, Reggie was jogging by design, to get to his spot for the spike from Rice. I agree, Reggies burst and top end is not there...he is more of a decoy. I agree on Massey and Nwo should be starting. Marcus Bryant went out early with an injury. Brandon Crossley has been knicked up.
Armani Johnson was abused by a redshirt freshman. He couldn't keep up deep and frequently had screens called his way, because he can't get off blocks. The transfer O lineman Thalen Robinson, allowed the extra point to be blocked. Our O line is old enough for Social Security....they are what they are. With the exception of the hail Mary on the final play of the game, our high powered offense was shut out in the 4th quarter. Unless there are some Bigly changes, Saturday might get ugly.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:03 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Who do we need to talk to get JasonB in as offensive coordinator? Sonny you reading this? We need a new OC stat.

I know you are joking....but

SMU had more first downs
SMU had more total yards
SMU had more running yards
SMU had more passing yards
SMU had zero turn-overs
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Who do we need to talk to get JasonB in as offensive coordinator? Sonny you reading this? We need a new OC stat.

I know you are joking....but

SMU had more first downs
SMU had more total yards
SMU had more running yards
SMU had more passing yards
SMU had zero turn-overs

That's great but....

SMU was on the 1 yard line and ran the ball exact same way 3 times that resulted a turnover.

SMU got on the 1 yard again and couldn't get the team set to where we got a 5 yard penalty.

Red zone was horrendous and why we had to call in a Big Ben.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm

I don't argue against going for it in either of the 4th down situations. Both were the right call to make. But the blocking needs to be simplified.

There might be a little on the QB also. On that 4th and goal play, when you send the TE in motion to the other side and nobody follows, you have to switch the play to go to the TE side where you have an extra blocker. We were completely outnumbered up the middle and on the right side of the line. I am just guessing, but I think with SB back there, we end up running that ball to the left. With a less experienced QB, maybe TM doesn't make the right call. In the modern game, almost everything has an option aspect to it.

I get that Thalen didn't put the best block in, but that was a super low extra point. IMHO, that block is on the kicker. Nobody near the line should have a chance to block a PAT if you kick it with the correct trajectory. Unless the defender is Margus Hunt and is 6'8 while pushing the center back three yards into the backfield :).

I'm very sure the coaching staff sees the same problems I do. I do think the subbing on 3rd down is on the coaches. And overly complex blocking schemes are on the coaches. But most of the problems are with the Jimmie's and Joe's, not the x's and o's. There are several players right now who aren't executing as well in games as they do in practice, and hopefully that switch flips as they gain more experience.
JasonB

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 pm

One of the biggest + so far is 3 games in, no significant injuries. More depth is helping. Usually 3 games in we start seeing injuries cause reorganization. Thus far all position still have basically pre season depth. Just thinking how injuries have hampered us in the second half of the season. LaTech is better than their record. It was a solid team to play and we came out healthy. That too allows for more players with skill and talent to mature instead of digging deep for players not ready at this level I fill in for injuries
ponyte

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:43 pm

I agree about Nwo and Massie. There were several plays they made Saturday that I’ve not seen SMU safeties make in a long time.

Nwo did appear to start. I know the telecast showed Denbow in the starting line-up on-screen graphics. But Nwo was in there on the first play. I figured this would come about and glad it didn’t take too many games.

Also agree re Kerley and Bryant. Got to go with who’s performing.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby dalpony » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:56 am

Denbow is hurt which is why he didn’t start
dalpony
Varsity

Postby leopold » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm

Thanks for putting this out. Haven't been able to watch the games so it's nice to see some analysis of it all.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 pm

dalpony wrote:Denbow is hurt which is why he didn’t start

If he’s hurt, it’s curious they would still play him (as he was in the game Saturday)
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:50 am

Denbow was hurt, in fact I think there was some thought that he might not travel. He must have tested it out in warm ups, thought he might be able to play, then they stuck him in for a few plays and took him out for good.
JasonB

Return to Football