PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: TCU PREDICTIONS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:51 am

They want revenge, two weeks to prepare for SMU, home field advantage, wearing white-to keep SMU from wearing the white Triple D unis, TCU double digit favorite....what say you?
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OFFICIAL: TCU PREDICTIONS

Postby mustangxc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:08 am

SMU gets off to a slow start again this week but doesn't have the talent to make up for it in the second half. 45-28 TCU with the game never within reach. I hope I am very wrong!
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 am

I'm expecting a 41-31 frog win. TCU having an extra week to prepare and being on their home field certainly gives them an advantage. Their QB having a year of experience is a plus for them, too. After seeing how many of those WR screens we ran against La Tech, I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before a corner anticipates that throw and gets a pick 6. That could be the difference this week.
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:They want revenge, ...wearing white-to keep SMU from wearing the white Triple D unis...

That's really weak.

Charleston Pony wrote:After seeing how many of those WR screens we ran against La Tech, I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before a corner anticipates that throw and gets a pick 6.

That's fine. As soon as the safety jumps the screen, the QB pump fakes the screen and throws to the outside WR running a fly pattern after faking a block. Easiest TD of the day.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:04 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:They want revenge, two weeks to prepare for SMU, home field advantage, wearing white-to keep SMU from wearing the white Triple D unis, TCU double digit favorite....what say you?

It's going to be hard for sure, but 10 points feels like a lot for rivalry game like this.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:14 am

Remember double digits goes up to and includes the number 99. TCU is licking its collective chops.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am

TCU hasn't been great. They came back to beat Cal, but Cal isn't a very good team.

That said, they have a bye. And the defense is going to be elite, it just hasn't really started playing up to that level yet. They lost big players to the NFL in the secondary and gave up some big passing plays to Cal as a result. I think those problems get fixed in the bye week. They have the players and the coaches to get it right.

I actually like the matchup on the defensive side of the ball if our players are healthy. We have nice depth on the DL and LB to hold the running game in check, and TCU doesn't want to have to beat you through the air. I can see us slowing their offense down.

Overall, I can see this being a game where TCU tries to control the ball and the clock and the number of total possessions is limited.

Offensively, if Tanner is making slow decisions and we come out and play conservative, this is going to be a really long day for the offense. We will play in our own half for a lot of the game and our D will eventually lose steam.

What I think will happen: TCU covers the spread and the game hits the under. TCU has some long- sustained drives that eat clock. Their pass rush gets to TM, and TCU dominates the line of scrimmage, so our offense struggles to move the ball. TCU 35 SMU 17. It could get even worse.

What could happen: TM makes quicker decisions and we open up the offense. This puts the TCU secondary under threat. More deep balls are thrown as we try and spread the field. TCU is forced to try and match us in a shootout, and they can't keep up. SMU 38 TCU 31
JasonB

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:45 am

We wil score. It will come down to our defense.
Pony ^

Postby PonyTime » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:46 am

I have a feeling that Sonny has been running a simplified offense for the first three weeks with this particular game circled on the schedule. If TCU prepares based on what they have seen on tape, they will be surprised. Expect to see RR unleashed this weekend. Expect Bentley to get more than the 12 touches a game he has been seeing over the first three.

Some of Sonny's hires when he got to Cal are still on that coaching staff. Am sure he has chatted with Coach Toler by now about TCU game.

With that said - O-line really needs to show up for this one and deliver. If that happens, SMU by 5. O-line doesn't show up and gets manhandled, TCU could win big.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 am

Pony64 wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:They want revenge, two weeks to prepare for SMU, home field advantage, wearing white-to keep SMU from wearing the white Triple D unis, TCU double digit favorite....what say you?

It's going to be hard for sure, but 10 points feels like a lot for rivalry game like this.

Guess we just wear the blue triple d uni
Pony ^

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:17 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
Pony64 wrote:

Guess we just wear the blue triple d uni

That's the plan.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby peruna81 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm

If we hang onto the ball, we win. If not, bad things happen.

We will do that this week.

45-31 Mustangs
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:46 pm

SMU 37 Alfred Adler U 28…”…it felt like a 1972 - 1986 time capsule today”, said SMU Coach Dykes.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby deepellumfrog » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm

38-17 Frogs
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:16 pm

If TCU runs and controls possession, the game may be lower scoring. TCU 27 SMU 17
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football