PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This would be the death punch for P5 promise land

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

This would be the death punch for P5 promise land

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:18 pm

"How does a 16-team conference with a western wing of Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado and Utah sound?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/could-big-12-look-west-and-poach-pac-12-schools-if-conference-expansion-continues/ar-AAOz4YE?ocid=uxbndlbing

If this happens, I really feel like the last train has left and the AAC won't have anyone else to consider. I guess potentially the only hope is:

The PAC12 replaces them with SMU, Memphis, BSU, SDSU to replace the 4 poached and maybe adds another 2 like CSU and someone else.

Doom side:

BSU, SDSU, CSU and maybe Fresno st. and that fills up the P5 for good.

The AAC could respond with the remaining eastern teams like Coastal Carolina, App state, army/AF/liberty and that's your hope for P6.

Just doesn't sit well but I know that's got to be what Aresco is waiting on because he's probably talked to BSU and SDSU and they're like "nah we will wait till Big12 and PAC12 make their moves".
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: This would be the death punch for P5 promise land

Postby Dukie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:56 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:"How does a 16-team conference with a western wing of Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado and Utah sound?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/could-big-12-look-west-and-poach-pac-12-schools-if-conference-expansion-continues/ar-AAOz4YE?ocid=uxbndlbing

If this happens, I really feel like the last train has left and the AAC won't have anyone else to consider. I guess potentially the only hope is:

The PAC12 replaces them with SMU, Memphis, BSU, SDSU to replace the 4 poached and maybe adds another 2 like CSU and someone else.

Doom side:

The AAC could respond with the remaining eastern teams like Coastal Carolina, App state, army/AF/liberty and that's your hope for P6.

Just doesn't sit well but I know that's got to be what Aresco is waiting on because he's probably talked to BSU and SDSU and they're like "nah we will wait till Big12 and PAC12 make their moves".

I mean, a KU grad who apparently covers KSU wrote this on the Wichita paper. It’s beyond stupid to think any current PAC schools are going to dump the CA, OR, and WA schools so they can line up with Baylor and West Virginia.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm

He says FACT, when it is conjecture, wishful thinking, hearsay, rumor, ...

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF have accepted invitations to join the Big 12. That is a fact.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:28 pm

Water Pony wrote:He says FACT, when it is conjecture, wishful thinking, hearsay, rumor, ...

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF have accepted invitations to join the Big 12. That is a fact.

That fact was a rumor at first and hearsay....

Look I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if Arizona and Colorado teams wouldn't want to consider Big12. They'll probably see what the prospective offer is with the new additions and see if it's worth leaving the PAC12.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 am

SMU just needs to take care of it's business. There will always be a seat at the table for a school that invests in athletics and carries a major market. We just need to win consistently to make it happen.
JasonB

Postby PurplePimpleOozing » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:38 pm

Just curious what MAJOR MARKET that SMU "carries". It sure isn't dallas ! UT and A&M and even TCU has more eyeballs in the DFW market than does SMU.

Which is why PAC 12 is seriously considering TCU and HOUSTON as their 2 new teams (P5 teams located in a huge metro area, that are good in football and very competitive in P5 Leagues). HOUSTON is now in a P5 League and also has ENORMOUS potential in the HOUSTON metro area and the PAC wants into HOUSTON metro area recruiting and TV market. UH doesn't own the HOUSTON TV market but they have a pretty good piece of it and PAC has been watching UH for a long time now.

PPO

JasonB wrote:SMU just needs to take care of it's business. There will always be a seat at the table for a school that invests in athletics and carries a major market. We just need to win consistently to make it happen.
PurplePimpleOozing
Scout Team

Postby CJPONY16 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:"How does a 16-team conference with a western wing of Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado and Utah sound?"

Doom side:

Those schools added to the Big12 will still not make the Big12 media money equal to what the Pac12 gets. They will always follow the money, and the money is in the Pac12.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:18 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:

Doom side:

Those schools added to the Big12 will still not make the Big12 media money equal to what the Pac12 gets. They will always follow the money, and the money is in the Pac12.

Let me try to help manage the pimple's posting workload by helping out. "HOW DARE YOU? TCU IS AWESOME! USC HAS BEEN DYING TO GET IN A CONFERENCE WITH HOUSTON FOR DECADES AND NOW THEYRE DREAM IS FINALLY RIPE. IT"S ALL A DONE DEAL AND THE BIG TWELVE WILL WELCOME 8 NEW FORMER PAC MEMBERS ANY DAY NOW."
Dukie
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Dukie wrote:Let me try to help manage the pimple's posting workload by helping out. "HOW DARE YOU? TCU IS AWESOME! USC HAS BEEN DYING TO GET IN A CONFERENCE WITH HOUSTON FOR DECADES AND NOW THEYRE DREAM IS FINALLY RIPE. IT"S ALL A DONE DEAL AND THE BIG TWELVE WILL WELCOME 8 NEW FORMER PAC MEMBERS ANY DAY NOW."

Didn't your mother warn you that the more you touch and mess with that pimple the more disgusting it will become?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 pm

The dumbest thread ever! TCU and Houston to the Pac 12 is so ludicrous, it’s gone from funny to sad.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Yeah, I’m jealous too. Time to earn our way in.
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 pm

EastStang wrote:The dumbest thread ever! TCU and Houston to the Pac 12 is so ludicrous, it’s gone from funny to sad.

Ouch town. Simply putting out an article and talking through how it would adversely affect us. This thread is more for Big12 stealing PAC12 teams which would entail the PAC12 stealing from MWC thus leaving us out of the super conference race.

The purple acne messed it up.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:45 pm

While we are at it: #SMU2PAC12

Discuss
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:11 pm

PurplePimpleOozing wrote:Just curious what MAJOR MARKET that SMU "carries". It sure isn't dallas ! UT and A&M and even TCU has more eyeballs in the DFW market than does SMU.

Which is why PAC 12 is seriously considering TCU and HOUSTON as their 2 new teams (P5 teams located in a huge metro area, that are good in football and very competitive in P5 Leagues). HOUSTON is now in a P5 League and also has ENORMOUS potential in the HOUSTON metro area and the PAC wants into HOUSTON metro area recruiting and TV market. UH doesn't own the HOUSTON TV market but they have a pretty good piece of it and PAC has been watching UH for a long time now.

PPO

JasonB wrote:SMU just needs to take care of it's business. There will always be a seat at the table for a school that invests in athletics and carries a major market. We just need to win consistently to make it happen.
1) Houston isn't jumping to a new conference. Just got invited to the Big 12, and is still celebrating.
2) Houston owns Houston like SMU owns Dallas or TCU owns Fort Worth. Not true. UT, A&M, Oklahoma, etc., all have more TV-watching alums in those cities. The difference is that there's nothing else (sports-wise) to do in FW and the big schools still have the upper hand. It's not fun to say, but it's beyond debate.
3) Yes, this thread is stupid.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:49 am

DallasDiehard wrote:
PurplePimpleOozing wrote:Just curious what MAJOR MARKET that SMU "carries". It sure isn't dallas ! UT and A&M and even TCU has more eyeballs in the DFW market than does SMU.

PPO

1) Houston isn't jumping to a new conference. Just got invited to the Big 12, and is still celebrating.
2) Houston owns Houston like SMU owns Dallas or TCU owns Fort Worth. Not true. UT, A&M, Oklahoma, etc., all have more TV-watching alums in those cities. The difference is that there's nothing else (sports-wise) to do in FW and the big schools still have the upper hand. It's not fun to say, but it's beyond debate.
3) Yes, this thread is stupid.

1) You are underestimating how many non-college grads watch college football.
2) If SMU establishes a winning tradition, it can become the "second team" for a lot of grads. There are a ton of transplants from the East and West coasts who would love to have a local team to root for.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football