PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SicEm365 (BU): Why SMU (and USF) Will Be in the Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SicEm365 (BU): Why SMU (and USF) Will Be in the Big XII

Postby redpony » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:04 pm

Yes, the cougar high president is highly regarded and is a 'shaker and doer'. Plus having TF available to do some heavy hitting is an added benefit..
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:40 am

Did I hear correctly? BSU now spends more money on research than SMU?
With all the "rock star" presidents, surprised Gerald wasn't mentioned, Baylor and Houston?
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 am

I'm not particularly convinced that all of these metrics will play much of a role in whether we are invited to the Big 12 or not. If Boise and Memphis want in they will be the next two. I'm not sure that expansion to 16 is that desirable or that the rest of that bunch would want us given that they want to recruit Dallas with as little interference from us as possible and given that our TV ratings are not any better than theirs. They will listen to ESPN and Fox for advice.

I'm convinced that absent some sort of back room deals with some of our high rollers we aren't going to get an invite unless Kansas and/or Iowa State head to the Big 10 or WV can wiggle an invite to the ACC. If the SEC and Big 10 expand, then the Big 12 will become more irrelevant than it is and it will be looking for an opportunity to survive with a formula that might include SMU. Either way, it is going to be a while before all the dust settles. TCU to the PAC 12? Laughable. Arizona and Arizona State leaving the PAC 12? For what? Wherever we wind up, there is a good chance that there are only going to be 4 P5 leagues and the Big 12 is the most likely to disappear. ESPN is the mover and shaker.

Admittedly, if Clemson and Florida St. go to the SEC and Virginia and NC go to the Big 10, all bets are off.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SRQPony » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:44 pm

DiamondM wrote:Why does that chart show that SMU has 0 Olympic Medals? By my count, going back to 1968, we have something like 25.

I don’t know the totals but I do know that Jerry Heidenreich had 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze in the 1972 Olympics
SRQPony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Water Pony wrote:SMU Athletes have won 20 Olympic Medals, which represent:

Swimming & Diving (15):
- 6 Gold
- 7 Silver
- 2 Bronze

Basketball (1):
- 1 Gold

Track & Field (4):
- 1 Gold
- 1 Silver
- 2 Bronze

And, numerous other non-medaling Olympians representing the USA and other countries listed here:

https://smumustangs.com/sports/2021/5/2 ... -list.aspx
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football