PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Patterson Off Deep End

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Patterson Off Deep End

Postby Topper » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:16 pm

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/ ... ggy-weirdo

Gary Patterson: Making friends wherever he goes. (I love the "shut up soggy weirdo" extension).
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Patterson Off Deep End

Postby peruna81 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm

At some point there needs to be an intervention...

And SMU will provide the film crew for it because "WE PLANNED TO DO IT!"

Bwahahaha.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smumba2009 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 pm

peruna81 wrote:At some point there needs to be an intervention...

And SMU will provide the film crew for it because "WE PLANNED TO DO IT!"

Bwahahaha.

Well said
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:00 am

Patterson will never be accused of being a gracious loser and will always find someone else to blame for his own shortcomings.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:49 pm

"TCU is 20-19 since the start of the 2018 season"

Patterson had a great run, but it appears he is really a poor sport, and hopefully headed for the HOT SEAT. Yes all good coaches hate losing, but after a loss making up lies about SMU players and not retracting them after video proof is shown and then after another loss questioning the football judgement of Coach Sarkisian is over the line.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:36 pm

I know he won a lot of games a while ago but he is way past the point of being an embarrassment to TCU.

I guess that's what they get for erecting a statue of their current coach.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I know he won a lot of games a while ago but he is way past the point of being an embarrassment to TCU.

I guess that's what they get for erecting a statue of their current coach.

It's not just winning games but I mean they did win the rose bowl... but it's mainly getting them into the P5 and all the $$$ that comes with it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm

Patterson gets tons of credit for building the TCU football program after Fran laid the foundation so the only question is whether he has earned a lifetime gig. I expect frog fans might have differing views. He's certainly acting like a guy who is feeling pressure, especially knowing the whorns (who he has gone 7-3 against) are moving on. While on the surface TCU's competition in the Big XII will weaken with the loss of UT & OU, Patterson might feel more pressure to win conference titles going forward and fans might have those expectations in a "watered down" Big XII as well. I do not expect him to want SMU to become a conference competitor as it's suddenly tough enough to have to play us in the annual rivalry game. Just think of how Gary would have reacted if TCU had allowed SMU to come to Ft Worth last year and we had beaten them 3 years in a row at their place! Very well could have happened.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:51 am

He is a sore loser but he is also a CHOF coach who elevated TCU into the national conversation for close to a 20 year period and into a P5 conference. I think he has earned a lifetime gig at TCU. I just hop e we even the lifetime series against them over the next decade.
mustangxc

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:22 pm

I think most informed Frog fans would i) agree; and ii) agree that CGP was largely riding on the coattails of [deleted] Bumpas, who retired after the Peach Bowl win. He was the true architect of TCU's defense (and the only coach in Patterson's tenure who was "allowed" to overrule a Patterson defensive call) and look at our record since.

Patterson just needs to shut up and win. $7mm a yr for this crap.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:32 pm

FroggieFever wrote:I think most informed Frog fans would i) agree; and ii) agree that CGP was largely riding on the coattails of [deleted] Bumpas, who retired after the Peach Bowl win. He was the true architect of TCU's defense (and the only coach in Patterson's tenure who was "allowed" to overrule a Patterson defensive call) and look at our record since.

Agreed, I liked the guy when he was winning and (mostly) keeping his mouth shut. .500 is not going to cut it for long anywhere in the country, statue or not.
SmooBoy

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:53 pm

SmooBoy wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:I think most informed Frog fans would i) agree; and ii) agree that CGP was largely riding on the coattails of [deleted] Bumpas, who retired after the Peach Bowl win. He was the true architect of TCU's defense (and the only coach in Patterson's tenure who was "allowed" to overrule a Patterson defensive call) and look at our record since.

Agreed, I liked the guy when he was winning and (mostly) keeping his mouth shut. .500 is not going to cut it for long anywhere in the country, statue or not.

Patterson is a genuine human being. I have known him for 20 yrs. Cares about the kids. Wants them, demands them, to go to class and graduate. Get that degree. But, like me, he will say what is on his mind rather than bite his tongue.

He (and myself) need to learn the Warren Buffet approach: "You can always tell a guy to go to hell tomorrow. You haven’t missed the opportunity. Just forget about it for a day. If you feel the same way tomorrow, tell them then — but don’t spout off in a moment of anger!”
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Interesting point about [deleted] Bumpas - thanks for the insight.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:24 pm

I have talked to TCU fans about Duck Bumpas being the real mastermind. I mean TCU did have a few solid seasons after Bumpas left, but seems he was a big reason for the major success.

Dan Hawkins wasn’t the mastermind at Boise State, Chris Peterson was.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:59 pm

[quote="FroggieFever"]Patterson is a genuine human being. I have known him for 20 yrs. Cares about the kids. /quote]

What ever happened with this litigation?

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/21/tcu ... s-lawsuit/
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football