PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Washington Post: Navy QB can make something out of nothing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Washington Post: Navy QB can make something out of nothing

Postby PonyPride » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:48 pm

By John Feinstein
Columnist

Tai Lavatai still remembers the moment and the exact words that ran through his mind: “Oh, no, please, not again.”

It was five weeks ago, early in Navy’s season-opening game against Marshall, and Lavatai was starting his first game as a college football player. He had gone from scout team quarterback the previous fall to the winner of a duel with fellow sophomore Xavier Arline in spring and preseason practices, jumping from nowhere on the Navy depth chart as a plebe to the starter.

“I never actually finished a season in high school,” he said during a rare free period before practice Tuesday. “I had all sort of injuries, one right after another it seemed sometimes. Then I get the chance to start my first college game, and before I know it, I’m hurt again.”

As it turned out, this time, Lavatai got lucky. He got accidentally leg-whipped by a Marshall player and felt pain shoot through his right knee. When trainers and doctors first looked at him, they suspected he might need season-ending surgery. But an MRI exam showed no structural damage, just a deep bruise. He still had to sit out the next two games — against Air Force and Houston — but was the starter Saturday when the Mids rallied late to beat Central Florida, 34-30.

To read this article in its entirety, CLICK HERE.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football