PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Navy game thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Navy game thread

Postby malonish » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:52 pm

Dub is a dub.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:08 pm

Every road win is a good win and especially a road win at Navy. Now have some extra tine to heal and be ready for Tulane
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby soccermom » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Whew! Glad we’re leaving w/a W.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:13 pm

Take it and run. 6-0 in early October.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:28 pm

I cannot remember a time when SMU's D was completely able to eliminate the FB dive as part of Navy's offense. Have to go back to Schumann era
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:35 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I cannot remember a time when SMU's D was completely able to eliminate the FB dive as part of Navy's offense. Have to go back to Schumann era

You must have forgotten what Van's defenses did against it...oh wait, let's never remember that again.

This afternoon was special. I feel BMS slowly disappearing...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:36 pm

should have won with more points
Missed FG an interception in endzone
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby ponyboy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:11 pm

That truly was a classic football game. One I’ll remember for a while.
ponyboy

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 pm

Yup :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 pm

That was one of the reasons we got Levitt for defense. They were really amazing today except for a couple of plays. 12 first downs was all Navy got. Really impressive.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:16 pm

My impressions from being at the game about 3 rows behind the SMU bench…

First of all, for sure a ‘W’ is always good. This game can be a bit of a teaching game for Coach Dykes et al. And you can’t expect 18-22 yr old players not to have some let downs during the season. So grateful we got a W despite that, on the road, against a novel offensive attack and disciplined opponent.

Mordecai is not seeing the field that well. If this doesn’t improve it will hamper his ceiling. Guys were getting open in seems, Tanner was getting protection, and he just wasn’t finding them. Calcaterra was open a bunch. Danny Gray was getting open. Danny was getting visibly frustrated in the second half with the ball not being thrown downfield and I can’t blame him. It was really frustrating to watch.

But Tanner also showed some good things today. His throw to Jordan Kerley for the 2H touchdown was really precise, leaving it where only Jordan could get it while closely covered. Tanner also had a really nice throw in the first half where he threw to Grant just as he was going into his break. It showed he’s got the ability to trust receivers and “throw them open.” Hoping he can do more of that in future games. For sure he will have to against Cincinnati and their talented secondary to win that game.

The players AND coaches were VERY flat much of the first have. The sideline was virtually lifeless. Do not underestimate Coach Kaz’s impact on this team and this game. Midway through the 2nd qtr he was trying to fire guys up and also reading them the riot act for lacking intensity. Team started to show signs of life after that. But I thought that type of leadership and intuition was very lacking from the rest of the staff.

The weak energy was coupled with weak focus and that made for a VERY sloppy start to the game. 2 TOs and 5 penalties, and in really critical circumstances and positions on the field.

I’ve seen enough to be really impressed by Devere Levingston.

As many of you have said, the D on the whole was really good tonight. A few blown coverages in the first half and some weak tackling in the secondary. But the D line was pretty special.

6-0.

23-5 over last 28 games. Man how different is that than early in this century and the end of the Jones era? Good seasons building upon good seasons. Good recruiting classes building upon good recruiting classes. Good coaching staff getting even better with additional good coaches added and young coaches really showing awesome growth.

Pony Up!
DC-Pony
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football