PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From "It's Always Sonny..."

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

From "It's Always Sonny..."

Postby PonyPride » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:08 am

Thoughts from Sonny Dykes on his show:

Jim Leavitt did a great job gameplanning for Navy, including moving players to new positions. Bryan Massey, normally a safety, played cornerback in Annapolis, but will move back to safety.
LT Jaylon Thomas "probably restpained his ankle in that game" and wasn't 100 percent. Branson Hickman did some good things as a backup center, and Alan (Ali) "has done a really good job playing tackle." Ali has played every offensive line position at SMU. "He's just one of those guys ... you could move him to wide receiver, (and) I think he'd probably (make a) play for you."
Anyone else want to see that? :D
• Called defensive performance that limited Navy to 177 rushing yards "remarkable." Said Leavitt wanted to take away the dive play from Navy's offense. Said of the defensive front: "people will be watching that, studying how we played them."
• Said DT Mike Williams "played his tail off. From the first play of the game, he was knocking the center back. There's a bunch of plays, if you watch him, he plays the dive play and tackles the quarterback. If your nose tackle can do that, that frees up everything for those linebackers."
• Said LB Shaine Hailey "played the best game he has ever played for us. He was everywhere on the field, playing really tough. I thought he and (LB) Delano (Robinson) played exceptionally well."
• Also said DE DeVere Levelston played his best game.
• There's only 13 teams in Div. I that are undefeated, and we're one of them.
• (To question about preparing for Tulane and not looking ahead to Houston the following week) All you've got to do is look at our history against Tulane, and every game in the last three years has been really close... The thing I think people forget about Tulane is they had a hurricane there and those guys were displaced for a month — they were living in Birmingham, Alabama, and the toll that had to take on them ... I think they're back home now, they're more settled. They have an open date, I'm sure they're regrouping. We're going to see the team that Oklahoma saw, Week 1.
• Tulane has been to 14 bowl games in its history ... including three in the last three years.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: From "It's Always Sonny..."

Postby ponyte » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:19 pm

Agree the defense was great. We have never dominated up front against Navy like we did last Sat. So many players stepped up. And Tulane seems to cree[ up on us from time to time. Really need to focus on beating Tulane.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football