PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stadium Upgrades

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stadium Upgrades

Postby indianmustang » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:20 am

looks like some upgrades are coming
https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-931726.html
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Stadium Upgrades

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:39 am

Wow.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:19 pm

What are Pony94's credentials? It feels very much like a rumor to drive interest.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:30 pm

The opportunity to enhance Ford should have several dimensions, such as:

- Improve Fan Experience
- Add amenities, including video, internet connectivity, food, access, etc.
- Expand capacity, e.g. into the south end zone, a second level on the east side, etc.
- Add to player facilities, football administration/operations, media production, etc.

Hopefully by investing in Ford we are sending a message about our future plans, intentions and ability to be a major player in a major market.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:42 pm

I think without an unofficial invite:

1) we get the better fan experience you mentioned above
2) bigger scoreboard

With an invite then those two plus stadium expansion

Reading the comments $50MM seems farfetch but I could be a perpetual pessimist with SMU.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:24 pm

I’d been hearing rumors for the past several years that seemed to indicate we had a donor or donors lined up for this.
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:01 pm

Expansion would make sense if we could expand our attendance but, unfortunately, we have thousands of available seats as it is.
If seating is added, leave the grassy knoll. It is somewhat of an attractive feature and adds character to an otherwise mundane looking structure. (and a lot of students and fans enjoy it) I'd rather see the grassy knoll than empty aluminum bleachers. Remember, you see the end zone shots on TV on FGs and PATs. An east side of suites would probably sell out and a continuation of the outdoor "suite" configuration along the top of the north end zone might add some pizzazzz.
Bergermeister

Postby peruna81 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Expansion would make sense if we could expand our attendance but, unfortunately, we have thousands of available seats as it is.
If seating is added, leave the grassy knoll. It is somewhat of an attractive feature and adds character to an otherwise mundane looking structure. (and a lot of students and fans enjoy it) I'd rather see the grassy knoll than empty aluminum bleachers. Remember, you see the end zone shots on TV on FGs and PATs. An east side of suites would probably sell out and a continuation of the outdoor "suite" configuration along the top of the north end zone might add some pizzazzz.

Plus we could keep the option of a having an occasional fire on the grassy knoll...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CBpony » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Expansion would be idiotic. If anything add a fan zone concourse to the east side to draw more crowd over there. A reduction in capacity would even make sense though I think certain conferences have a stadium capacity requirement for admittance. Main thing I'd do is add a bigger scoreboard and an outdoor bar area.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:30 pm

What I see is it needs upkeep. The reason Meadows is torn up out front is they did not caulk the steps for decades, thus the dirt under those steps washed away.

There are cracks that need caulk, bricks that need sealing, guards that have broken off. Maintenance.

IF we are showing this as we are moving on up.. ( to the East Side ) it will be a good thing to have a nicer, fresh look for those new schools and fans to come to Dallas. Personally, I think something good is going on.

But, we need to take care of what we have now.
G
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 pm

Moody renovation did it right by highlighting bball history and players.

Ford needs to make that concourse full of art, blown up photos, and murals and fixtures/plaques highlighting our storied history and legendary players. And our lone Heisman recipient should take up a nice chunk of that presentation.

Long overdue.
SmooBoy

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:16 pm

It's ironic that any expansion of FORD is really only to accomodate visiting opponent fans and of course the $ those games might produce, and I know that is an important factor in moving into a better conference....still odd IMO
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:06 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Moody renovation did it right by highlighting bball history and players.

Ford needs to make that concourse full of art, blown up photos, and murals and fixtures/plaques highlighting our storied history and legendary players. And our lone Heisman recipient should take up a nice chunk of that presentation.

Long overdue.

I like it. You could even go one step further and install A/C and heat in the concourse. Maybe add a couple of restaurants that attach to the stadium.
ponyboy

Postby SMUstang » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:10 pm

This is a far cry from the Skelly Stadium I knew as a kid. Or the Owenby Stadium I grew to love as an SMU student. This could be a diamond unlike any other stadium in the country. I hope it comes to pass.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:14 am

Hopefully this is better than our last renovation . . .

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football