PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

7 of the Greatest Hail Mary Passes of All Time

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:26 pm

The Hail Mary is one of the most dramatic plays in sports, an all-or-nothing proposition that can stun a crowd into silence or bring it to its feet. The play didn’t acquire a nickname that stuck until December 28, 1975, when Dallas' Roger Staubach connected with Drew Pearson for a 50-yard touchdown in the waning seconds of a Cowboys-Vikings NFL playoff game. Here are seven of the most famous Hail Mary passes in football history:

1. BYU's Jim McMahon to Clay Brown vs. Southern Methodist (Holiday Bowl), December 19, 1980
Situation: Third and 10 from SMU's 41-yard line.

McMahon and the Cougars, who led the NCAA in total offense, passing offense and points per game, turned a 45-25 deficit into a 45-39 game with a late rally. Then BYU blocked an SMU punt and took over at the Mustangs’ 41, needing a touchdown and extra point to win. On the final play, McMahon dropped back to his own 47-yard line and uncorked a throw that Brown caught for a touchdown among SMU defenders.

“I really don’t know what happened,” SMU linebacker Byron Hunt told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We were totally shocked by the ending. It was just luck that allowed them to win.”

Even BYU head coach LaVell Edwards was stunned by the comeback, telling reporters: “We caught fire in the fourth quarter and it was a ‘Hail Mary’ at the end. After they went ahead by 20 points, I thought that was it.”

https://www.history.com/news/greatest-hail-mary-passes
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: 7 of the Greatest Hail Mary Passes of All Time

Postby SmooBoy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Ugh. That play still hurts 41 years later.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:17 pm

AfricanMustang wrote:The Hail Mary is one of the most dramatic plays in sports, an all-or-nothing proposition that can stun a crowd into silence or bring it to its feet. The play didn’t acquire a nickname that stuck until December 28, 1975, when Dallas' Roger Staubach connected with Drew Pearson for a 50-yard touchdown in the waning seconds of a Cowboys-Vikings NFL playoff game. Here are seven of the most famous Hail Mary passes in football history:

1. BYU's Jim McMahon to Clay Brown vs. Southern Methodist (Holiday Bowl), December 19, 1980
Situation: Third and 10 from SMU's 41-yard line.

McMahon and the Cougars, who led the NCAA in total offense, passing offense and points per game, turned a 45-25 deficit into a 45-39 game with a late rally. Then BYU blocked an SMU punt and took over at the Mustangs’ 41, needing a touchdown and extra point to win. On the final play, McMahon dropped back to his own 47-yard line and uncorked a throw that Brown caught for a touchdown among SMU defenders.

“I really don’t know what happened,” SMU linebacker Byron Hunt told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We were totally shocked by the ending. It was just luck that allowed them to win.”

Even BYU head coach LaVell Edwards was stunned by the comeback, telling reporters: “We caught fire in the fourth quarter and it was a ‘Hail Mary’ at the end. After they went ahead by 20 points, I thought that was it.”

https://www.history.com/news/greatest-hail-mary-passes

Umm, it was Clint Longley who hit Drew Pearson and it was a simple burn route down the sidelines and he broke free from the Redskins defender and waltzed in for the score. I was there and saw the play.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:20 pm

EastStang wrote:Umm, it was Clint Longley who hit Drew Pearson and it was a simple burn route down the sidelines and he broke free from the Redskins defender and waltzed in for the score. I was there and saw the play.

The "Mad Bomber". I remember that one, as would any Cowboys/Redskins fan my age
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 pm

But Staubach to Person in Minnesota was the first designated Hail Mary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:33 pm

AfricanMustang wrote:The play didn’t acquire a nickname that stuck until December 28, 1975, when Dallas' Roger Staubach connected with Drew Pearson for a 50-yard touchdown in the waning seconds of a Cowboys-Vikings NFL playoff game.

It was a lot easier to complete them back when WRs were allowed to shove the defender away.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:02 pm

That BYU loss hurt more than any other I ever experienced as a football fan.
ponyboy

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:21 pm

I remember the Boston College one well. I was home from college for Thanksgiving and watching with my dad. He wasn't into college football but we watched that game because he was friends with Doug Flutie's dad. Still a great memory.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby 82Pony » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:30 pm

ponyboy wrote:That BYU loss hurt more than any other I ever experienced as a football fan.

Devastating, just devastating. I don’t think I’m over it yet.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:22 pm

I am even tempted to root for Baylor this weekend...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang92 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:51 pm

If #5 on this list is a TD, then that BS call at the UNT game was no interception....
mustang92
Scout Team

Return to Football