PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UTSA accepts invite to AAC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UTSA accepts invite to AAC

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:48 pm

reportedly official
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UTSA accepts invite to AAC

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:37 pm

They’re good right now. I say no thanks.
ponyboy

Postby MV pony » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Didn't Aresco say he didn't make offers until he knew they would be accepted?
MV pony
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 pm

What the hell... aresco....

Trying to think through the logic but my guess is to keep something regional for us to have something similar to Houston given that Rice sucks.

My guess is Coastal is next to take care of UCF and something like Marshall or Army to replace Cincy.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:29 am

mustangxc

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:20 am

could not agree more. and we might add RGT as well. He has been in charge for over 20+ years and did nothing to promote athletics up to the last few years. He is a big reason we get no invites to P5 conferences.
redpony

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am

I am not pleased with the apparent steps Mike Aresco is making ... trying to make lemonade out of a lemon when three AAC partners left.

However, hammering Turner and Hart is over-played. We are a private school, whose FB history since the late eighties has been underwhelming. From poor attendance to student and alumni apathy, SMU hasn't been a valued brand or much watched.

Fast forward to today and our situation has improved dramatically. Although, we still can't fill Ford, attendance is up, recruiting has changed dramatically for the better, it is Sonny on the Hilltop and we have a winning program. Focusing exclusivity on Turner and Hart as our biggest problem ignores what we need to continue to be doing. We need to be the top program in the AAC and demonstrate to other conferences and the media that ... SMU is back.

BTW, Memphis and USF feel equally mistreated. We need to create our own narrative and be the national player we were once and what we all desire again. We can't expect gifts; but we can demand respect and demonstrate we care about winning at all levels
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:21 am

Water Pony wrote:

However, hammering Turner and Hart is over-played. We are a private school, whose FB history since the late eighties has been underwhelming. From poor attendance to student and alumni apathy, SMU hasn't been a valued brand or much watched.

Disagree- had RGT been proactive in bringing our sports programs to a high level 20 yrs. ago I suspect our attendance by both alums and students would be far better. Until the last few years there was no active marketing or reaching out to the city of Dallas to recruit fans. And yes, this problem is directly the result of RGT's attitude toward being a top 25 sports program.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:22 am

Expansion candidates will be asked to demonstrate a significant commitment to athletics spend - in the 50M range. This is required to get the AAC up to the level it wants to be from a competitive standpoint.

If UTSA has committed to that level of spend, I don't have any issue with bringing them into the conference. We need to actually be in a conference of appropriate size that has a championship game. It is really disappointing that the MWC teams didn't move over, but obtaining a school in a large metroplex who is committed towards athletics is the next best option.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 am

redpony wrote:
Water Pony wrote:

Disagree- had RGT been proactive in bringing our sports programs to a high level 20 yrs. ago I suspect our attendance by both alums and students would be far better. Until the last few years there was no active marketing or reaching out to the city of Dallas to recruit fans. And yes, this problem is directly the result of RGT's attitude toward being a top 25 sports program.

Ken Pye killed SMU athletics but I agree RGT has not been as aggressive as he needed to be. All anyone had to do was look west to Ft Worth to see what a difference being committed to strong athletic programs could make.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 am

JasonB wrote:Expansion candidates will be asked to demonstrate a significant commitment to athletics spend - in the 50M range. This is required to get the AAC up to the level it wants to be from a competitive standpoint.

If UTSA has committed to that level of spend, I don't have any issue with bringing them into the conference. We need to actually be in a conference of appropriate size that has a championship game. It is really disappointing that the MWC teams didn't move over, but obtaining a school in a large metroplex who is committed towards athletics is the next best option.

While it would be nice to have added the mountain time zone, I definitely prefer being in central and eastern time zones as so many more casual football fans are likely to tune in and watch some of our games, especially if we can sustain a Top 25 program and schedule games against other Top 25 programs.
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:42 am

JasonB wrote:Expansion candidates will be asked to demonstrate a significant commitment to athletics spend - in the 50M range. This is required to get the AAC up to the level it wants to be from a competitive standpoint.

JasonB, Your focus on the athletic investment that new AAC members will be expected to make is an important factor. They will need to invest in facilities, recruiting, non-revenue sports and basketball, especially if we want Memphis and Wichita State to feel ACC appreciates the importance of MBB and WBB programs. AAC needs to project its schools are more than FB want-to-be's, including academically. BTW, I like Rice, as will Tulane. The Owls will raise their quality and performance in the AAC.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Still think adding UNT and going to 14 only makes sense if SMU is about to leave along with Memphis.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:08 pm

EastStang wrote:Still think adding UNT and going to 14 only makes sense if SMU is about to leave along with Memphis.

I want to believe this, but sadly I can’t. AAC went with potential over reality.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 pm

EastStang wrote:Still think adding UNT and going to 14 only makes sense if SMU is about to leave along with Memphis.

The AAC is clearly over-expanding so that they don't have to do it again in two years when SMU, Memphis, and USF leave.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football