PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Craig Swann-to-English translations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Craig Swann-to-English translations

Postby SMU00 » Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:52 pm

I think Craig does a great job as analyst. But he mentioned someone running a "dig" route. Anyone know what that is?

Also, last year he refered to receivers running a "wheel" route and a "waggle" route. Can anyone translate?

Keep up the great work, Craig.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Re: Craig Swann-to-English translations

Postby MustangFan » Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:32 pm

Swanny, you do a great job
MustangFan
All-American

Postby jettison » Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:02 pm

"Dig" route = I think that is when the team lines up and puts their heads ostrich-style into the murky Shreveport mud, leading to multiple temporary lapses of reason.

"Waggle" = A much more effective desperation play than the hail mary on EA Sports College Football '98. I know.. definitely behind the times... I haven't played many video games since then, sorry.

"Wheel" route = When your tires are obviously flat (in this case I think someone took a knife to them), this is the route the mustangs will run over and over again this week to get out of the ditch and back on the road. People will soon forget if that ugly 62-7 can be revenged.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby D » Tue Sep 04, 2001 7:56 pm

Enjoyed the post Jettison.
If memory serves correctly...
Dig - about a 14 yard in route similar to a curl, but working more off the backers to find to hole.
Waggle is usually a roll out where the backside receivers/TE are building up the field at an angle to get in the QB's view while the frontside receivers usually run a take-off, hitch and/or an out.
Wheel - is usually a back running towards the sideline and then upfield while the outside receiver (if there is one on the side) is running a post or simply clearing out underneath - eg. Donte against A&M in '95 that set up the go ahead touchdown.

Keep up the good work Swann. By the way, you missed some good KD last weekend.
D
Varsity

Return to Football