PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We Need to Prepare a Presentation for the Pac 12 ASAP!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We Need to Prepare a Presentation for the Pac 12 ASAP!!

Postby JBigginsSMU94grad » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:23 pm

We have been rejected three times by the Big 12. Once when it was formed, 2nd when TCU was invited, & 3rd when U of H, Cincy, UCF, & BYU were invited. We must now pursue a different/better path b/c clearly the Big 12 does not respect or want us & Commissioner Bowlsby's latest negative statements confirm that. President Turner & Rick Hart should immediately & fervently prepare a persuasive presentation to pursue membership in the PAC 12 for multiple reasons especially while we have an undefeated Top 25 team that is garnering national attention & interest. Membership in the PAC 12 would be in line w/ our elite academic reputation on the Hilltop & will get us into a Power 5 Conference w/ other elite academic schools such as Stanford & Cal Berkley; 2nd, Sonny is a former Head Coach in the Pac 12 so he knows, understands, & can navigate the nuances of the conference & getting into the PAC 12 will allow us to retain him & his staff which are doing an unbelievable job; 3rd, we would provide the PAC 12 a much-needed foothold in Texas which will help all the schools recruit Texas better & improve the talents of their rosters; As a SMU player in 1994, we played UCLA in the Rose Bowl & that was one of the most memorable, coolest trips during my career due to the awesome weather & unique stadiums & traditions of the conference & fans. As a NFL agent, I have been to USC multiple times to scout & recruit, & there is nothing better than watching a game @ the L.A. Coliseum. Finally, we would be able to compete immediately for Championships in the PAC 12 b/c the top dogs such as USC & Oregon run spread offenses similar to ours & have comparable sized & skilled athletes. We would be the only Texas school in the PAC 12 which would set us apart & allow us to forever cease begging our #1 rival TCU for their help in getting into the Big 12 which is clearly adverse to their own interest especially now that we are beating them on a consistent basis. Let's get our big-money donors on board & demand that President Turner & Hart pursue the PAC 12 with transparency & all their might b/c that's the best option for SMU going forward!!! SEC has 16 members, Big 10 & ACC 14 members, Big 12 has 12 members but will likely expand to 14 when they add Memphis & Boise during the next expansion. PAC 12 will feel the heat to expand to keep up with the Joneses so let's PONY UP & be the 1st in line when they do!! It makes too much sense people!!
JBigginsSMU94grad

Re: We Need to Prepare a Presentation for the Pac 12 ASAP!!

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:25 pm

We have a better shot with the ACC or Big10 taking us then the PAC12. I don't see them wanting to get into the Texas market for political reasons.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:57 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:We have a better shot with the ACC or Big10 taking us then the PAC12. I don't see them wanting to get into the Texas market for political reasons.

Despite the fact the former UT President tried to woo Texas and Oklahoma years ago. Yep, it must be all about politics.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:We have a better shot with the ACC or Big10 taking us then the PAC12. I don't see them wanting to get into the Texas market for political reasons.

Why, is Ann Richards still governor and would insist they take bu instead?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm

The ACC is indeed interested in getting into Texas, and will be exploring options should FSU or Clemson decide to jettison.

SMU needs to continue to win. That solves EVERYTHING.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:10 pm

Utah is more conservative than Texas, FWIW.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:Utah is more conservative than Texas, FWIW.

Agreed but Utah joined in 2011. I don't think that would happen if it were happening now.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:Utah is more conservative than Texas, FWIW.

Agreed but Utah joined in 2011. I don't think that would happen if it were happening now.

The culture of the school matters way more than the culture of the state. The PAC was ready to take Texas and would’ve shut their eyes and swallowed hard and taken OU to get Texas.

They would never take Texas Tech, or Houston, or Baylor. TCU is iffy. SMU is a great fit. But gotta win and draw crowds and draw TV eyeballs.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:45 am

From a cultural fit, the ACC would be best for SMU, and I think for the ACC, but, as everyone has said, we need to be relevant in both football and basketball, and have seats filled. This year is very important to achieve that - the upcoming games to beat the three teams that bolted for the b12 will be as important as ever. Going undefeated and being relevant on a national stage. SMU brings a whole lot to the table that can fit with schools in the ACC (top private universities such as Duke, Miami, wake Forest) and top public universities such as Virginia, UNC, BC, we can bring the DFW area when they come to play us. It makes too much sense but we need to be more relevant.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:04 pm

I agree that culturally, the ACC would be a better fit. But as far as places to visit on road trips, give me the Pac-12.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby JBigginsSMU94grad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:48 pm

ACC a better cultural fit? In these current days of big money tv contracts primarily based on the overall quality of a conference's football teams, when have conferences instead made expansion decisions based on cultural fits? Never!! We must Pony Up & quickly change our thinking fellow SMU alums & Lettermen!!! We can either wait in perpetuity to our detriment for Clemson to someday decide to leave the ACC for the SEC which is totally against their self interest in the new 12 team playoff b/c their path to a National Championship would be much easier in the ACC as opposed to the SEC & Clemson's own Championship history has proven that. We must acknowledge & wisely react to the clear reality that the ACC has never expressed an interest in SMU or expanding into Texas but as recently as September, 2021 there were multiple reports that the PAC 12 was strongly considering TCU & U of H as expansion candidates. Given the PAC 12's real & current interest in expanding into Texas, LET'S BE PROACTIVE & meet their needs by putting our best foot forward to show them that SMU with it's undefeated top 25 ranked team & the Dallas & Texas markets & top players & top academics are what they are looking for!! I'm just saying fellow Mustangs this should and must be Dr. Turner's and Rick Hart's targeted focus to get us into a Power 5 conference and simultaneously keep Sonny & our top coaches & recruits while also pursuing the Ford Stadium & football facility upgrades to obtain the long term Championship-level Power 5 program we want to be!!!...Who's on board?
JBigginsSMU94grad

Postby Otto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:15 pm

We all hate Houston, but this year is different. A win at UH could make quite a statement to several conferences, in case they're considering SMU.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:and top public universities such as Virginia, UNC, BC

No big deal, but Boston College is a private Jesuit research university.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:34 pm

Just my opinion, but none of the P5 conferences are going to be interested in SMU until we pack Ford and Moody for home games, and show a little enthusiasm for our teams. The bottom feeders in most P5 conferences have better attendance than we do.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm

SMUstang wrote:Just my opinion, but none of the P5 conferences are going to be interested in SMU until we pack Ford and Moody for home games, and show a little enthusiasm for our teams. The bottom feeders in most P5 conferences have better attendance than we do.

Don't try to inject a dose of reality into this debate
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Next

Return to Football