PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If I were the Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If I were the Big XII

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:25 am

PonyTime wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I think most people coming out of SMU are getting consulting jobs where they're on flights Monday through Thursday (can't be at a game Thursday night in that case) and working insane hours while also surrounded by the same like minded body.

This is way off base. I would be surprised if even 10% of SMU grads fall into this category.

Just going off experience when I graduated. My colleagues went big 4, I-bank, PE, etc. I hear engineering graduates went into operational consulting roles etc. You are probably right on the liberal arts side.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby panhandle_pony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:30 pm

And new Big 12 member hosted a top 25 football team with 25,000 fans. Granted some stayed home to watch Astros, nonetheless fan attendance for huge game was SMU like.
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:15 pm

panhandle_pony wrote:And new Big 12 member hosted a top 25 football team with 25,000 fans. Granted some stayed home to watch Astros, nonetheless fan attendance for huge game was SMU like.

I agree that was shocking and had to be concerning for the Big12. I like to think we would have a great crowd if it were at home.

Hopefully we have a good one but the undefeated going down might keep people at home.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:35 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
panhandle_pony wrote:And new Big 12 member hosted a top 25 football team with 25,000 fans. Granted some stayed home to watch Astros, nonetheless fan attendance for huge game was SMU like.

I agree that was shocking and had to be concerning for the Big12. I like to think we would have a great crowd if it were at home.

Hopefully we have a good one but the undefeated going down might keep people at home.

With help from the Houston faithful, we might have had about the same crowd in Ford but it would have looked better in 32k seats vs the 40k plus Houston has
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:04 pm

From Big12 Site: Heartland College Sports

The Big 12’s Next Target Should be the SMU Mustangs

"The SEC could destroy TCU and the Big 12 if they pick up SMU. If you think about it, the Big 12 has entered the market of every Power Five conference. UCF lies in the SEC and ACC territory. Cincinnati is in the heart of the Big Ten market. BYU is in the Pac-12 market. The Big 12 Conference needs to pick up SMU as a preventative measure to defend itself against the ACC and the SEC."

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... -mustangs/
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyboy » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:11 pm

Interesting.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Water Pony wrote:From Big12 Site: Heartland College Sports

"The SEC could destroy TCU and the Big 12 if they pick up SMU. If you think about it, the Big 12 has entered the market of every Power Five conference. UCF lies in the SEC and ACC territory. Cincinnati is in the heart of the Big Ten market. BYU is in the Pac-12 market. The Big 12 Conference needs to pick up SMU as a preventative measure to defend itself against the ACC and the SEC."

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... -mustangs/

That writer obviously recalls the Pony Express era but to think the SEC would benefit from adding SMU is a stretch. Unless SMU becomes a Top 5 powerhouse, the SEC already has the Texas market with Texas and A$M. Big XII viewership will pale by comparison
Charleston Pony

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:31 pm

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... -mustangs/[/quote]

This is truly the dumbest thing ever posted on the internetwebworld.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:39 pm

"SMU can be one of the best athletic programs in the nation, and when it becomes a Power Five school, it will be."
I like this writer!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:18 am

We aren't going to the SEC. A$M, UT and OU have the north Texas area locked up for that conference. They don't need another private school.

For the time being, bloom where we are planted. Prove that we can WIN here. Improve Men's BB and Women's BB and fill Ford by any means neccessary. The Power conferences will notice if we continue to win.

The ACC is the most logical fit for SMU.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:45 am

Haha, I’ve been hearing SMU to SEC since the 1990s. Of course the only people who ever say that are SMU homers or writers looking to stir things up. I think the chances of that EVER happening are somewhere south of zero percent.

Not to say there will never be an opportunity for SMU to move up in the world if we show sustained success and commitment to athletics. But the SEC thing is just the pipiest of pipe dreams.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:27 pm

Agree. SMU is more likely to join the intramural league than the SEC.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football