PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny to leave for Tech?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny to leave for Tech?

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Definitely the only school I could see it happening at but just a matter of when and also DMN really doing its part to put us down and why (of many reasons) I'm not a subscriber.

"Sonny can’t continue to sell recruits on SMU’s high school crowds. If Kirby Hocutt is half as smart as I think, he’ll come after Sonny once Texas Tech bottoms out. He’s the perfect fit for the Red Raiders: son of Spike; protégé of the Pirate."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-am-aggies/2021/10/24/could-someone-from-texas-fill-the-lsu-vacancy-a-look-at-overachievers-and-head-coaches-in-trouble/
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Sonny to leave for Tech?

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:12 pm

I just dont see it. That place is an armpit and you cant recruit to there, therefore very difficult to compete. I think sonny is at risk but just because his dad was there is not a good reason to think he would go to tech. He can make a bigger jump by waiting. Plus not sure the money will be much different. They have to manage tp a 10-11 M tv world now.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Traylor???
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 pm

TidePony wrote:Traylor???

Traylor has strong ties in the Big Sandy area, and west Texas as well. He has done a great job at UTSA. Their facilities are matching many P-5 schools...still need to upgrade and develop other associated programs within the athletic department. Good interview with him this morning, re AAC and (his mention) and future conference mates like SMU and Memphis.

Sonny would be a good fit at TTU. There are a bunch of folks who could fit that situation. The key is to find a GREAT fit, like we have here at this moment.

My thought is that they look elsewhere..at first.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:59 pm

gostangs wrote:I just dont see it. That place is an armpit and you cant recruit to there, therefore very difficult to compete. I think sonny is at risk but just because his dad was there is not a good reason to think he would go to tech. He can make a bigger jump by waiting. Plus not sure the money will be much different. They have to manage tp a 10-11 M tv world now.

Agree with this. The “I’m coming home”* model doesn’t work for Lubbock.

*I am still sad about MBB and Moody.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby GHammond » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:37 pm

How old are his kids? Where is his wife from?
GHammond
Varsity

Postby OC Mustang » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 pm

GHammond wrote:How old are his kids? Where is his wife from?

Middle & Elementary school.
Kate is from Wichita Falls.

Sonny wants to finish this.
He has something to prove.
After that, who knows?
"Moderation in all things, and especially in Absoluts [vodka]." The Benediction, Doc Breeden, circa 1992
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:43 pm

OC Mustang wrote:
GHammond wrote:How old are his kids? Where is his wife from?

Middle & Elementary school.
Kate is from Wichita Falls.

Sonny wants to finish this.
He has something to prove.
After that, who knows?

I really hope you're right. If he gets us to a stable P5 conference, we need to build a statue of him. He's arguably one of the best coaches we've ever had in our existence only because of the uphill battle of being in 2nd/3rd class leagues.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:50 am

Sonny will be on the short list of many openings, due to his efforts and success in turning around SMU and it history.

However, we can all name coaches who leveraged success to "move up" and it didn't work out, e.g., Taggert, Fuentes, Barnett, Kelly, Herman, Morris, and more. Greater expectations, short fuses and tougher competition make it increasingly unlikely that success will follow.

Contrast that with Fitzgerald at Northwestern, Darrell Royal at UT, Frank Broyles at AR, Vince Dooley at GA, and Patterson at TCU, who have or will have statues on their campus for lifetime achievement at one school.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PonyTime » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 am

Water Pony wrote:Sonny will be on the short list of many openings, due to his efforts and success in turning around SMU and it history.

However, we can all name coaches who leveraged success to "move up" and it didn't work out, e.g., Taggert, Fuentes, Barnett, Kelly, Herman, Morris, and more. Greater expectations, short fuses and tougher competition make it increasingly unlikely that success will follow.

Contrast that with Fitzgerald at Northwestern, Darrell Royal at UT, Frank Broyles at AR, Vince Dooley at GA, and Patterson at TCU, who have or will have statues on their campus for lifetime achievement at one school.

All he has to do is check out how Chad is doing. With that said - seems Chad managed to Make some $$$ as he got canned every stop after SMU tho. But his college HC career is over.

Difference is that Dykes knows what it is like at a P5 and perhaps is not all that interested in that gig at the same price tag as SMU.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:51 pm

TidePony wrote:Traylor???

It's kind of funny, but the very first thing I thought when you posted "Traylor" was you meant Traylor possibly to SMU when Sonny leaves.

I hate this Catch 22, but the more Sonny wins, obviously the more schools will come calling with very sweet deals with stadiums full of fans.

I just hope Sonny is the oddity that would turn down a huge pay raise, turn down a better conference, turn down a stadium full of fans supporting his team.

I guess time will tell....hopefully later than sooner.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Today Texas Tech fired Matt Wells according to The Athletic.

Offensive Coordinator, Sonny Cumbie, is expected to take over as Interim HC.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:11 pm

Water Pony wrote:Today Texas Tech fired Matt Wells according to The Athletic.

Offensive Coordinator, Sonny Cumbie, is expected to take over as Interim HC.

Hart and the donors should have given Sonny an extension during the bye week for at the very least to increase the buyout. If we lose Sonny, it's a pretty giant kick in the balls to where we might not come back.

Hopefully he declines and Traylor gets the call.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:13 pm

I hate thread titles like this. Doesn’t help the cause.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:14 pm

Sonny is absolutely the leading candidate for the job.

This is an extreme "one way or the other" scenario.

Sonny and his wife love it here in Dallas. SMU is a better program with more upside than Tech.

If Sonny turns down the Tech job to stay at SMU, it will resonate nationally about where our program is. It means our administration fully supports the program, he has the backing of the alumni, and he is getting paid. It is a very clear endorsement that SMU is headed in the right direction.

If Sonny accepts the gig, it is quite a statement against the administration. They love Dallas. Leaving for Lubbock would mean that he believes their vision over ours, that our administration was caught flat footed by the Big 12 expansion, and that the alumni aren't ponying up for his salary.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football