PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny to leave for Tech?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny to leave for Tech?

Postby peruna81 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:31 am

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:Surely Art Briles wouldn't get a look in Lubbock, would he?

Funny you say that...his son IS getting a sniff.

Lots of Sand Aggies would be okay with Kendall.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:01 am

He's a back up to sonny and Traylor. Sonny looks primary and unless our admin puts an offer he can't refuse, he's gone according to those inside sources.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:45 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:51 am

kind of similiar talk in UTSA forums about traylor
http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php ... lor/page33
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:54 am

Here's one of the sources that I'm referring to:

"In his fourth season at SMU, the Mustangs are 7-0 and 24-6 in his last two-plus seasons. He has built a good team, has a good life, and sources said he’d leave SMU.

Those within the SMU athletic department fully expect him to leave after the season.

Between the small crowds and the fact that SMU is not in a Power 5 league gives Tech a shot at making another Dykes a head coach."

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article255283271.html
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:57 am

Two observations:

On the Raider Board, it appears there is no patience for rebuilding the program the way Sonny has done at SMU. Granted our path was longer, but it suggests they think a new Coach will immediately produce results. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Second, our anxiety about losing Sonny is natural, but I am less concerned at this moment. There is more to accomplish here and I feel he wants to be the one to do. Of course he will be in demand, but he has experienced the impatience and high expectations in the P5 programs. Why not be on SMU's Mount Rushmore vs. coaching 3 years at P5 school and getting a pink slip. But, that is just me.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am

we all hope he stays. however, other concerns if he leaves are a) what coaches go with him and b) what players would enter the transfer portal to go to tortilla throwers u.? Him leaving could really destroy our program for another 3-5 years depending on who replaces him.

In addition, if he leaves AD little rickey should be fired immediately the day after. just again shows his lack of planning and looking ahead.
redpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am

indianmustang wrote:nothing on raiders board
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tec ... ll-102951/

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/board/102951/Contents/sonny-dykes-173862806/?page=1

The fans don't want him and it's funny to see the reason the 1 AP voter's response. Still fan boards aren't going to have a say. My hope is that Art or Traylor will be the candidates and we should root for Crumbie to win out to keep the job.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 am

Water Pony wrote:Two observations:

On the Raider Board, it appears there is no patience for rebuilding the program the way Sonny has done at SMU. Granted our path was longer, but it suggests they think a new Coach will immediately produce results. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Second, our anxiety about losing Sonny is natural, but I am less concerned at this moment. There is more to accomplish here and I feel he wants to be the one to do. Of course he will be in demand, but he has experienced the impatience and high expectations in the P5 programs. Why not be on SMU's Mount Rushmore vs. coaching 3 years at P5 school and getting a pink slip. But, that is just me.

That's my hope as well but like we've all mentioned. The transfer rules built what we have today but it surely can destroy us in a matter of minutes. Maybe Sonny is as mad as we are at adding teams like NTCC to the conference or feels like Hart and company are not giving the support he needs but it's obvious to so many his demeanor changed in that media day.

I hope he sees that being at SMU gives him stability and a place to get a statue. He's not going to have that at Tech. Thankfully the wins we have against heavy loss opponents are glaring enough that even tech fans are apprehensive about Dykes going there.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 am

Tech is a lot like Auburn (except they NEVER win championships and Auburn does), it RARELY ends well for a football coach at Tech (just like Auburn). This has to be common knowledge among coaches. I hope Sonny stays.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 am

I'm with others in hoping Sonny remains at SMU for the long haul, but if he decides to leave there could be several reasons behind his making that decision. Among those reasons might be: 1) following Dad's footsteps and an opportunity to finally win a conference championship at Tech (something Dad never accomplished) 2) P5 money vs G5 in terms of his own pay, staff pay, facilities, ability to recruit, etc... and 3) concern that he may have brought SMU as far as he can with the SMU as Dallas' school seemingly failing to generate casual fan interest in the program and the realization there is just very little interest in SMU athletics.

I hope Sonny is up for the long haul challenge and wants to accomplish for SMU football what Larry Brown did for SMU basketball, i.e., packing Ford Stadium and winning conference championships with a Top 25 caliber program. I'd like to think SMU can be that even in a reconstituted AAC that might actually afford SMU some attractive scheduling opportunities. With UNT as a conference mate, we can add other Big XII schools (Houston, Baylor, Tech in addition to TCU) to the non-conference schedule and might get more interest in games vs UTSA and Rice than we do for Tulsa and Tulane, not to mention USF, Temple or ECU.

If Memphis & Boise State are likely to be the next Big XII (XIV?) expansion candidates, then SMU needs to become the next Boise State with a national recognition as a giant killer.
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 am

Hopefully Sonny reads the DMN or someone forwarded this to him. Cowlishaw devoted his column today about Dykes and how he feels he won't go to Lubbock. He lists several reasons, but the main one being that he can do much better down the road.

Here is the column, may be behind a pay wall for some, but hopefully most can see it.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... do-better/
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:36 am

TidePony wrote:Tech is a lot like Auburn (except they NEVER win championships and Auburn does), it RARELY ends well for a football coach at Tech (just like Auburn). This has to be common knowledge among coaches. I hope Sonny stays.

Spit out my coffee...about the only thing Texas Tech has in common with Auburn.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:53 am

1) If Traylor is listed as the lead candidate by TT, then it means behind the scenes, Dykes has turned them down already or Sonny is stalling on giving them an answer and they are trying to force his hand.

2) Sonny is right to keep a neutral stance publicly. He needs to use this as an opportunity to negotiate a high paying, long term extension with SMU.

3) FWST is a TCU mouthpiece. Take everything they say with a grain of salt. They are going to badmouth SMU and play up rumors at every opportunity.

4) Keep your eye on the DMN. If they go silent, then I would start to be worried. They are very tied into what is going on at SMU. The Cowlishaw article is a good sign.

5) If it leaks that Sonny is talking to Tech or interested in Tech, then that indicates that our extension offer wasn't strong enough, and something has been leaked by someone in order to drive negotiation.

6) If it just is kind of announced that Sonny will be the next head coach without a leak, that means that something went wrong on the SMU side. There is something the administration promised that they didn't come through with, something along those lines.

When LSU and Tech make moves like this mid-season, it is because they already have a candidate in mind that they want to nail down before they take any other opportunities. Otherwise, they would just wait until the end of the season. I *think* those coaches are Napier and Traylor. Just my opinion.
JasonB

Postby ojaipony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:56 am

I really thinks he's gone and feels he's taken SMU about as far as he could. The P5 allure of money/resources is really hard to turn down. Many point to the Cal experience, but I think that had everything to do with it being Cal rather than P5. I really hope I'm wrong but it seems Tech is a great spot for him ... he can bring all his Dallas ties with him ie recruiting etc. Think of the soft spot we all have for our alma mater. Well, Tech is his (and his father's legacy). His comments were very much what someone says when they're gone (ie "just focusing on this team, etc"). Why else would there not be an extension already announced? Well, it's because he's working out the details on the Tech job.

I SOOO hope I'm wrong.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Football